Annette Funicello has died (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by milanessa, Apr 8, 2013.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

2. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Multiple sclerosis is a horrible disease. Her beach movies with Frankie Avalon came out before my time but I remember watching them with my mom when I was a kid.

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

RIP, Annette. Another icon of my long-ago childhood is gone. :(

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Bless her heart. What a wonderful lady she was. I have Back to the Beach on DVD, so I'm going to watch it today and think of her. :)

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Annette Funicello, Mouseketeer and film star, dies
    By FRAZIER MOORE - AP— Apr. 8 1:26 PM EDT

ADMIN EDIT - please do not repost entire articles. Instead, provide a link and you may provide a few brief quotes. See Rule #13
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/announcement.php?f=14&a=37

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She was a vibrant, talented teenager; who became a beautiful, and courageous woman.
    What an example she was to anyone who faces a debilitating and disabling disease.
    Thank you, Annette.

RIP

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. skatesindreams

Could an Admin. combine the threads?

8. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

I remember watching her on the MMC in 1955 when I was 9. Another piece of my childhood gone.. :(

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Me too, FGRSK8. Long before Marcia Brady, all the boys I knew had a serious crush on Annette but girls liked her too & wanted to be like her. I sent away to the Disney Studio & got a membership to the Mickey Mouse club because of her & I never missed an episode. My ears are long gone but I still have my membership card (somewhere).

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Even though I'd watched re-runs of MMC as a little kid, I had no idea the "Annette" on the show was Annette Funicello. My first real recollection of who she was occurred when I saw Grease in the movie theatre with my Mom, and one of the lines in it was "No one has jugs like Annette." I had to ask my Mom who they were talking about :eek: :shuffle:.

11. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

So many of us growing up in the US in the 50s/60s knew Annette from TV, then the movies, then the Skippy peanut butter ads. She was never less than classy, warm and sweet. She did much good for awareness about MS.

Condolences to her family. RIP brave lady.

12. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

13. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I had the series of mystery books ("Mystery at Smugglers' Cove", "Sierra Summer", "Mystery at Moonstone Bay", "Mystery at Medicine Wheel" and "The Desert Inn Mystery") and I still have this set of paper dolls. Of course mine are cut out.

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

M I C

15. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Cyn, I thought that line was "would you try that crap with Annette?" Who knew?

16. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

RIP, Annette. Grace and dignity personified.

17. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Last year, W5 (Canada's 60 Minutes) did an episode on Annette and what she and her husband have gone through w/her MS and were dealing w/right then. CTV's Health Reporter Avis Favaro was the one who did the piece and after the CTV Toronto 6pm News Team had gone through the passing of Margaret Thatcher and all that entailed, then they announced Annette had passed away as well today and talked to Avis. The first question she was asked was one I've wondered about ever since seeing the W5 piece last year....Why Canada and W5? Why not 60 Minutes or a Barbara Walters special.

Simple. Avis said they'd seen the pieces CTV/W5 had done on the theory about blocked neck arteries being a factor in MS and they were very impressed w/how the report was done w/dignity and compassion towards those patients in the story. Avis also said another factor very well could have been that if they had gone to one of the US shows/networks, would it have focused on the MS and the Foundation set up by them to help raise money for the fight to find a cure and/or treatment for MS? No, more than likely not.

We've all seen those pieces in the past and know what they're like. W5 didn't do that and told Annette's story and MS fight the way it deserved to be done. W/compassion, dignity and focusing on just how vicious and devastating this cruel disease is.

I remember sitting there feeling literally sick at what this vicious disease had done to such a vibrant, feisty and lovely lady. Just... :(

While I do feel for the Family and her Friends, at the same time....After seeing what she's had to go through the last ten years and the way she was in that episode of W5 I also can't be sad either. As her Children said in the statement they released and what I said when I learned the news earlier tonight, I *know* she's up there laughing, singing and dancing again.

Condolences to her Family and Friends. Godspeed Lovely Lady. :(

18. duane

duane New Member

I LOVED the "Annette" series on Mickey Mouse Club! It was corny of course (country girl Annette comes to live with her wealthy family, meets both cool people and mean girls, goes thru a transformation from long-haired, old-fashioned country hick to short-haired, modern sexy chic girl, is met with jealousy from the lead mean girl and is accused of stealing her necklace, but all become friends at the end), but I rushed home from school to watch each episode! I thought Annette was Elizabeth Taylor reborn.

But wow, to be honest, I thought she had died years ago.

19. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

When I was a kid, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be Annette or Sandra Dee. Sadly, both are gone now. :(

20. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Oh goodness, what sad news today. :( MS is such a horrible, cruel disease but she faced it with such courage, compassion, and class. Sending thoughts and prayers to Annette's friends and family and I truly believe she's finally dancing, laughing, and singing again in heaven now. RIP Annette. :fragile:

21. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

"Avis also said another factor very well could have been that if they had gone to one of the US shows/networks, would it have focused on the MS and the Foundation set up by them to help raise money for the fight to find a cure and/or treatment for MS? No, more than likely not."

:huh:

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

This seems to be my day for clarifying things for others that looked awfully straight forward to me on various boards...

They would have sensationalized the story more than focusing on what her husband (whose name I'm blanking on, so no disrespect intended) and Family wanted. Like, "See how America's Sweetheart has gone from the Golden Child to needing every little thing done for her...Etc, etc, etc...." That did *not* take place in the W5 piece and as I said earlier, the entire episode was handled w/great compassion, dignity and understanding of what the intent of the piece was. To try and raise awareness of MS and also to try and get the various trials or investigations out there in the US that had been looking at the Liberation Therapy back up.

That's what Avis meant when she said that and it seemed pretty clear to me at the time and still does. I also pretty much wrote what she said when asked about that, so I don't get what's got you confused about it.

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

RIP, Annette. May there some day be a cure for MS.

24. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

This one stings more than most other RIPs I've done here over the years. She was very much a contemporary, I was about 3 months older, and my 1st crush. I've followed her over the years and have been impressed by her. Let's just say she was not Lindsey Lohan. Like most everyone I knew of her MS and have been expecting this news for years. Still, the news comes as a most unpleasant surprise. My condolences to her family. May she rest in peace.

NJL......:(

25. Nan

Nan Just me

She was every boy's crush and every girl's best friend. RIP Annette. :(

26. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Wonderful photos of Annette at Disneyland throughout the years, shared by the Disney Parks Blog.

RIP to a classy lady.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

That was in the lyrics for "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee" (I didn't know who Sandra Dee was at the time, either :eek: ). The line about Annette's jugs was dialogue between the T-Birds :).

28. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

"Babes in Toyland" was my favorite movie as a very young child; it starred Annette and Tommy Sands, the Brittney-and-Justin of their day but with better voices. My daughter bought the DVD for me as a present once and you know what, they really were gorgeous people despite the silly costumes. Find "Just a Whisper Away" on ITunes if you want to hear what they sounded like, lovely song.

My sister died of MS too, four years ago, and it is a miserable, heartless disease. RIP Annette.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  29. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

It was probably cut when shown on TV - I guess I've watched it on TV too much. I didn't remember that line from the movie.

My confusion was that you were unable to praise the program without putting down the US/US filmmakers.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  30. skatesindreams

I'm so sorry, PRlady.