Annenko & Sretenski

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I decided to start a thread about Annenko & Sretenski- the USSR ice dance team to never win a world or Olympic medal- because they are not as well known as some other ice dance teams.

I liked them as eligible skaters, and as pros they really grew on me. Genrikh Sretenski was a wonderful choreographer. They were very graceful with their lines, posture, unison, and basic skating. If there is one criticism of their programs, they skated only one style.

I liked their 1988 Oly OD and FD, but notice the difference after they turned pro.

1988/89- Unforgettable (waltz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCxlyNsc4sc&feature=related

I absolutely loved the following:

Summertime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYvFGQGjoQ&feature=related

Thanksgiving (they beat Klimova & Ponomarenko in that competition, in 1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHBm_IcqEjc&feature=related

Here is their 1994 Pro routine to Ave Maria (now I feel this may be their most beautiful program)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49w_G_cPb2k&feature=related

I will post more links later.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

I liked this team too, more so as pros. Maybe that is partly because they were a Soviet team I could like that wasn't beating Wilson and McCall. :lol:

3. Vash01

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My favorite of their amateur programs:

1987 Worlds FD - "Romeo and Juliet"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNo0HGiPLG8

Toller Cranston included this in his "Great Skates of the '80's".
    He was furious at their scores; just as the crowd was.

Vash - great minds think alike!

5. Vash01

6. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

This was always a quality team, clearly, but this really is the only program of theirs I thought was something special. Just beautiful, makes V&M's look like child's play

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Their performance of the Mahler at the 1992 World Challenge of Champions was a masterpiece.

They were members of the "Torvill and Dean and the Russian All-Stars" tour at the tine.
    This program "Fallen Idols" was choreographed by Christopher Dean. I believe they usually wore different costumes.

8. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

She is one of the 4 coaches of Aldridge and Eaton, according to their bio.

Sretenski did choreography for several Chinese dance teams and for Bonacorsi / Mager, and is listed on their bio as a former coach.

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00010336.htm

http://www.skatetoday.com/2010/01/17/junior-dancers-off-to-good-start/

9. pumba

pumba New Member

Vash, thank you for bringing up this topic :).
    A/S were a great couple, but unfortunately not for the Soviet standards, meaning that they could easily be #1 team in any country but due to enormous competition inside the USSR they had to stand in that row waiting for their turn.
    Anyway they both are great dancers and also very beautiful and attractive people.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Genrikh is currently coaching in Laurel, MD, and works with quite a few teams, including the Phams (Jr) and Grant/Skala (Nov) and solo dancers. He also works with FS skaters on edges and such.

11. MorganaLefay

MorganaLefay Active Member

My most favorite dance couple of all times! Just sublime! Thanks so much for starting this topic!

12. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

thanks for discovering me this couple, guys!! I've never heard of them and they must be one of the, if not the most underrated pair ever

13. JSB

JSB New Member

14. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

15. Vash01

Thanks so much for the link! I had never seen this program of theirs. I miss that kind of 'pure' ice dancing- deep edges, lines, unison, posture, and skating to the music.

16. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

And I remember thinking that he reminded me of Michael York. (And that his contemporary Ponomorenko reminded me of Timothy Hutton.)

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I was not familiar with them as Olympic eligibles, but loved them in SOI! :D :)

18. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Thanks for posting this thread. The team of Annenko & Sretenski is one of the reasons I have yet to pitch my figure skating tape collection. :D

The YouTube links are priceless.

19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Genrich Stretenski now coaches in the Washington, DC, area....at my local rink. :)

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

thanks so much for starting this thread, Vash01! I love this team, and it is nice to share with other fans.

lucky you, Frau Miller!

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I would post it here as well. This is a Rolling Stones group number from the Canadian SOI in 1995. Skip to 6:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4AF2pfXHA

21. Vash01

Thanks so much for the YT! I used to enjoy going to SOI those days- Katia-Sergei, Bechke-Petrov, Kristi, Annenko-Sretenski, etc. It was wonderful.

22. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I am so envious! I would love to have attended in those days. Money was tight back then, so I was unable to see a live skating show until a few years later. I had always dreamed of seeing G&G skate live. and 1995 was my favourite SOI show--the cast was awesome, they had great chemistry, and the choreography was ridiculously good that year.

I would love to see an A&S reunion! I miss those two so much!

23. Iceymom

Iceymom Banned Member

Genrikh Sretenski is coaching several teams from Pre-juv up to Senior. He also coached a solo skater to win the National Solo Dance Championship at the silver level. That student will skate senior this season with a partner. He is a rare gem and a great coach.

24. Vash01

What rink is Sretenski coaching at?

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Gardens Ice House in Laurel, Maryland - he's the Ice Dance Director there.

26. Iceymom

Iceymom Banned Member

Sretenski is not the type to promote himself, which why many people do not know where he is or what he is doing. It is a shame as he is very talented not only as a skater, but as a coach. He does not seek out students, he waits for them to seek him out. So hopefully people will read your thread.
    He is a hidden gem for those who wish to seek him out.

27. Vash01

Sretenski is also an excellent choreographer. I don't know if he is COP savvy but his pro routines were beautiful (both as a skater and choreographer).

28. Iceymom

Iceymom Banned Member

Yes, I don't think most people know this, but Genrikh Sretenski actually choreographed many of his own programs while competing. Several other countries other than China have attempted to get him to do choreography for their teams.
    It would be great to see Shpilband use his choreography (now that Zoueva is split with him) and to have Shpilband's technical work side by side. Just a thought!

29. Vash01

That will be great. It may take a while (one whole season) for Shpilband to really settle down with a rink and other people he needs. However, he can always hire a choreographer like Genrikh who could spend some time with his skaters.

30. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I'm glad Sretenski is doing well, he's always been one of my favourite ice dancers and vastly underrated IMO. I was wondering why we hadn't seen more from him.