Anne Line Gjersem - "Camilla, I couldn't have done it without you"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SmallFairy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I'm over the top happy about Anne Line Gjersem qualifying an olympic spot for Norway at Nebelhorn. When did we have a skater landing five triples, skating with such personality and spunk? I'm still in utter shock, gotta love her! :D:D

I found this lovely blog post of her twin sister Camilla, who's also a skater, written after Nebelhorn.

http://camillagjersem.wordpress.com/ The top post "Hun klarte det" (She did it!)

Her blog also has some gorgeous photos of the sisters, and fun practice photos from Oberstorf, with Tomas Verner and Carolina.

Camilla talks about her relationship with her sister, how they have practiced togehter through the years, and how she managed to make it through the FS at Nebelhorn.

Translation:

She did it
    Today is my day off practice so I thought I’d blog a little bit about my fantastic twin sister and about our relationship. And also a little trip down memory lane.

Many people wonder what it’s like to be twins. I love it, and I’m lucky to have Anne Line. She’s not only my sister and best friend, but she my biggest inspiration and competitive rival.

As identical twins we are quite different, but also very much alike, both by looks and by personal qualities.

Picture: Two small girls who fell in love with sport

From we were very young Line was the one who mastered everything first. She learned the ordinary things like talking and walking first, but also when we grew older she mastered the elements on the ice before me. When she could do it, I knew I could do it too.

When we were 11 years old, Line landed her double axel. I was determinded that I also would master the jump before I turned 12. Christmas was coming up, and I was in a hurry, since my birthday is in January. So, one day I decided to practice my double axel on an outdoor rink. I ended up in the ER with three broken bones in my ankle. By the time the cast came off, I had turned twelve a long time ago. I returned strong after my injury, and that year it was I who one most of the competitions. That put Line on fire and she worked even harder to surpass me again. We were both motivated by seeing the other succeed. The competition between us has been positive and important for our development during the years.

The road towards the big goal
    In 2006 we both joined the Norwegian Olympic committee ’s Sonja Henie-project, working towards the Olympics. For starters we did basic practice three times a week with Claude Lebreaux. Later it became two times a week, and we also practiced dance with Christer Tornell. The training with Olympiatoppen has been a key factor to get us where we are today.

Photos: Pictures from when we were 13 years old.

Line has achieved so much. Season 2008-2009 her results boosted. She debuted in both junior GP and junior worlds. She won bronze in both European youth festival and Nordics. The years after the progress continued, but she has been injury plagued. First back problems, then an ankle operation.

After the operation she chose to move to Sweden to find new challenges with Ela Magnusson. (ETA Kristoffer Berntsons coach, right?) I chose to remain in Asker because it fits my life better. I was really happy with my training here with my coach Berit, and also because I have arranged school to go together with my practices and competitions.

It was really sad that Anne Line was moving, and even if she had a whole new everyday life, my life also became different. I was used to doing everything with Line, but we are good at keeping in touch through social medias and internet. We still are. The weirdest thing about her moving was that people around me started addressing me as one person and not always “you”. It sounds really corny. I hadn’t realized I had been looking at Line and myself as a part of one another.

Last season everything really took off and you can say Line got her international breakthrough. She qualified for the FS at Euros (that’s also been a while since last time) and she made it to worlds where you need high technical results to be allowed to compete. She was unstoppable, and on Friday she qualified Norway an Olympic spot!

I couldn’t watch the SP because I was on the ice myself, but I followed the FS all night long and the nerves got to me from the very beginning. I spammed Twitter constantly to keep me busy, because I was almost going mad. I didn’t know if she was nervous, tense or calm. Several of the skater before her didn’t do very well, so it was obvious they felt the pressure. When Anne Line got into starting position I have never ever been so nervous in my entire life. She landed all her five triples and a 2 axel. I was sure she had made it, but judging from the look of her face, I don’t think she herself realized before she got her marks in the K&C. She ended up 7th, with the 3rd best technical score in the FS.

2 minutes after she had her score, she called me! We shouted “Congratulations” before we both cried of joy. I’ve never cried from joy in such hysterical manner before.

Words cannot describe how pride I am of Lin, and of course extremely jealous. Her big dream came true, now we can only hope the Olympic committee gives her a go! I mean, we have worked togheter in this project for seven years. I couldn’t sleep that night, so I was talking to Line on the phone. Just before we said good night, she said “Camilla, I couldn’t have done this without you”. It was so nice to hear and it shows how humble and caring she is. What she did was a team victory for the entire Norwegian figure skating family. She’s a role model for many, and shows that hard work will give results.

If she can do it, I know I can do it to, and I’m working towards Olympics in 2018!

gkelly, ioana, skatesindreams and 3 others like this.
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

What a sweet article and thank you for translating!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thank you so much for sharing and translating! :)
    Cross-posting the following from the Nebelhorn Ladies FS thread in Kiss and Cry...

Thanks to the "Wayback Machine" Internet archive :cheer:, I can access an article on the Gjersem twins from December 2006 that I remember posting on FSU titled "Twins aim to thaw Norway's figure skating freeze" - "Six girls have been chosen to participate in the Sonja Henie Project. The Gjersem twins [12-year-old Anne Line and Camilla], from Asker west of Oslo, are the youngest."
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070103...enposten.no/english/sports/article1579236.ece
    :respec: to Anne Line and Camilla for pursuing their dreams for the past 7 years and I wish them both the best in the future!

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Indeed!
    I'm so happy for her.

5. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I hope the Norwegian Federation and Olympic Commitee sends her; she skated well at Nebelhorn. I still remember Israel denying Tamar Katz the chance to compete in the Olympics even though she earned the Olympic spot.

6. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for the translation! Loved her skate at nelbelhorn and will be rooting for her. Also support Camilla!

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I too saw her for the first time. She uses her upper body wonderfully. :)

8. SmallFairy

Lol kind of twilight zone posting Norweigan figure skating news;)

Camilla is competing at Ondrej Nepala this week, together with Anine Rabe.

9. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

That was a great honest heart touching blog post.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Booooo to the Norwegian OC!!! http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...s-by-country&p=4086018&viewfull=1#post4086018
    Re-posting this 12/22/13 post in the Olympic forum in Kiss and Cry:

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

wtf, I hate it when NOC's come up with these uber-selective criteria for their Olympic delegations. How are you ever going to (re)-develop a sport when you deny them Olympic participation? Making it to Sochi is quite an achievement in and of itself. It's just senseless to say you cannot go because being top 30/50/whatever in your sport is not good enough to earn you a ticket to the Olympics. You need to be Top 8 at Europeans or another arbitrary qualification standard. Hopefully this will go the way of Pieman's Olympics in 2010 when the Belgian OC eventually relented and sent her. Let me know when the Facebook/twitter petition to send Anne Line to Sochi is up and running. Will definitely go sign it :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  12. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

What is wrong with these OC's?? Hundreds of thousands of $$ are spen and years of hard work invested so that they can then impose this criteria? Was this criteria known well in advance or are they just now pulling it from out of their a$$? What do they hope to accomplish by being unrealistic and denying the spot that was EARNED by their skater??

Completely agree Ioana, show me the petition and I'll sign too.. RIDICULOUS..

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting this good news from GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...s-by-country&p=4086768&viewfull=1#post4086768
    Yes. Yay!

14. SmallFairy

Wow, that's great news!

I hope Anne-Line will be fully fit for Euros, she's been injured all fall since Nebelhorn... Fingers crossed!

15. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

good news!

16. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Go Norway! Yay! (Gotta root for my maternal grandparents' country!)

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

:cheer2: if that's true - Anne Line earned her Olympic spot and I hope she'll get to enjoy it and do a great job in Sochi. This should be the approach everyone takes for Olympic spots involving lower ranked skaters.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

SmallFairy, that is a really beautiful and touching story. Thank you for translating it. :)

My favourite part is:

:lol: Consider what quality the ice usually is at outdoor rinks (resurfaced once a day, covered in snow, etc.). ;) I am glad that she didn't suffer permanent injuries and was able to come back strong with this being nothing more than a funny anecdote!

Anne-Line has really improved this season and skated with wonderful spark at Nebelhorn. :)

I hope that the Norwegian Olympic Committee has indeed come to its senses and I hope that Anne-Line brings it in Budapest! :cheer:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Glad it doesn't have to be top eight at least but will be nervous regardless - hope she makes it through! Go Anne-Line. :)

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Article in English during Europeans (Anne Line finished 19th with a total score of 125.58): http://www.newsinenglish.no/2014/01/17/high-hopes-for-norways-ice-princess/
    Excerpts:
    Fingers crossed for Anne Line!

Google translation of a Norwegian article: http://translate.google.com/transla...-finalen-feilen-stresset-meg-veldig-1.8250589

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  21. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed! I like her skating

22. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Honestly, sending Anne Line to Sochi can do no harm. There are only benefits. Send her!!!!!!

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

24. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member