Anna Pogorilaya: I jumped up and down when I saw myself ahead of Carolina Kostner!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by quiqie, Nov 3, 2013.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Watched Anna's exhibition program, the routine wasn't great and her hair was a mess but she looked stunning in the outfit! I remember thinking the same thing at Junior Worlds where she wore a similar black unitard-like outfit for the exhibition, I think in the tight black, you can really see the potentially nice lines she can have. For now, she needs to work on straightening her legs and flailing her arms less, and her overall appearance is still a bit gangly though much more sophisticated than last season, but idk, if she can work on polish, posture, and straightening those limbs of hers, I think she could really be something. She already has the jumps and fiery spirit, and her long limbs could really work to her advantage if she can gain full control of them, which I think she could in a couple years time.

Seeing Pogorilaya doing so well makes me miss Shelepen and wonder what might have been if she had stayed with Tutberize. Shelepen and Pogorilaya are similar in many ways, I would say Pogorilaya has stronger basics, speed, and consistency, but they have similar strengths and weaknesses along with similar builds and Shelepen was progressing nicely until the nightmare coaching change/injury/Israel fiasco..

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thank you. Someone on NBC said it means "bursting into flames" (Johhny?) and pissed me off. That is not what it means, quiqie is correct.

3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah that would be a difference. :eek:

Great interview and ITA her attitude is very promising. :) Best of luck to her and fingers crossed she does succeed in improving her PCS! No reason she shouldn't when we've already seen Lipniskaya making strides this season.

4. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Some tidbits from Anna's interview to sovsport.ru:

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656861
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656862
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656867

Q: Anna, don't you feel any discomfort training on the same ice as Julia? Congratulatory posters in honor of your victories are hanging at your home ice rink right next to each other…
    Anna: We didn't even say hi to each other until the last year. We knew each other, but never said a word. No, it wasn't jealousy, irritation or a display of competitiveness… I don't know what it was. It was just the way it was. The funniest thing is that we got to know each other, became friends and started hanging out at the Junior World championships.

Q: It's funny indeed. Is it a true friendship?

Anna: Absolutely! If you ask me what I would like to learn and from whom, I'd name her first - her jumps, her consistency! She jumps like a young Plushenko. Can jump with her eyes closed, open, with any entry, and without falls. It's a unique ability. And I would love to learn from Carolina Kostner her amazing stroking.

I liked Carolina so much! Such a sunny personality, it's just shining through! And what surprised me the most, she understands Russian!

Q: Carolina Kostner understands Russian?!

Anna: Yes! At the press-conference she was asked a question in Russian, the translator turned to her, and she said, no, it's okay, I understand. Before the gala, at the practice, I came up to her to warn her that I will be in this part of an ice rink, to avoid collision - in Russian, what else, I don't speak English, my second language is French, and only in the modest school format… And Carolina answered in Russian - with an accent, but correctly!

Q: Was she shining during practice as well?
    Anna: She's so radiant, always smiling, even when it's tough for her. I would like to learn that, too. I also try, of course, I listen to cheerful, upbeat music before I go on the ice, to light up, but there are the days when I'm feeling down, unfortunately…

Q: Anya, you were so obviously happy to beat Carolina, didn't that hurt her pride, what do you think?
    Anna: It didn't, or at least she didn't show it in any way. If I hurt someone, and quite deeply, it was Adelina Sotnikova. She got really angry, and our next encounter won't be easy for me. She was pressuring me quite harshly at practices in China, too. Adelina is such a sweetheart outside of the rink, but at practices she has a way of pressuring the competitors… It didn't affect me, even though she was aiming to do exactly that. It was interesting - such a show! Here is she, not even looking at you. She is not interested in you! But when you pass her, Adelina starts inadvertently following you. If it were someone else, you'd go your separate ways. But Adelina… She will definitely get in your way when you are attempting a jump, and you have to skip the jump, otherwise you collide!

Q: It looks like you never get angry?
    Anna: Why, I got got very angry before the Cup of China, when nobody believed in me, no one counted on me, not a word had been said about expecting me to win...

Q: But you said yourself you only wanted to make top-3.
    Anna: Well, I said just in case. But I'd wanted only to win... Why else to skate? After I won, I said tentatively that I consider my chances to make Olympic team minimal. But I want to go to Sochi very much, and I will do everything to go there.

Q: But what can you do? There are two spots, only one will be decided by sports principle, another will be decided by coaches counsel. You must realize that two great girls from the same great Moscow figure skating school won't go to the Olympics. It's politics.
    Anna: Then let Julia go to Sochi. She deserves the Olympics, and I will cheer for her!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

:watch:

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks for the links! I may not yet be a fan of Anna's skating but am becoming a fan of Anna, the person. She sounds so genuine. Also, now I am an even bigger fan of Caro & Julia but much less so of Adelina. Not cool, not cool at all. If it's true, I hope karma bites her on the a$$. :EVILLE:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I just feel like Adelina needs to pull herself together before she starts worrying about being a diva. What is she intimidating the other girls with, her fantastic falls on her triple flips? Now if Julia wanted to intimidate, the others would have reason to run scared...

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Julia doesn't need to intimidate. She seems calm and secure in herself. Adelina, OTOH, is neither. I don't think she is angry at Anna, what's the point of that? She is angry at herself.

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

People generally like divas...

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not saboteurs though.

12. elif

elif Active Member

She really loves Carolina I think. :) Always talking about her. :)

Adelina going to olympics then no matter what happens.:rolleyes:

13. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

A very funny interview with Anna :lol:. One thing I noticed: I get the distinct impression that the first blush of naive disbelief at emerging victorious has now faded, and I swear that I could sense her ambitions growing even in the space of the interview. :watch:

If she didn't believe before CoC that she could be one of the leading Russian skaters, it's pretty clear to me that she does now.

She is going to be very interesting to keep tabs on. Will this newfound confidence be just what she needs to shed her former lumpen Downstairs status, and emerge as a diva full blown Upstairs? Or will she recapitulate the arc of Harriet Smith in "Emma"?

The tumultuous drama among the Russian ladies makes the U.S. ladies seem very staid by comparison. ;)

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How do you know this?

15. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

I should probably have warned that this particular newspaper is an aspiring sports tabloid and often tries to spice things up ;)

16. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

The same way you know that Gracie and Ashley are going to the Olympics no matter what? :shuffle:

(I'm not going to get into another argument, but it's so irritating how condescending you are to people who see things differently). I'm not sure how elif meant his/her comment but the rolling eyes indicates that it probably wasn't a serious statement anyway.

17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think Adelina is the most likely pick after Julia, and will be selected if everyone else is equally inconsistent. However, if Anna beats Adelina at TEB, makes GPF, beats Adelina at Nationals and Euros, then I think she would go. The Russian federation is very political, but they don't ignore plain reality when it hits them in the face.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So you appoint yourself the self-righteous avenger, RFOS? I said Gracie & Ashley are going, barring a disaster. :rolleyes: usually indicates irritation, so let the poster speak for her/himself.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I agree with this. A stellar performance from Anna for the rest of the season along with not-so-stellar performance from Adelina would likely put Anna on the team. Otherwise it's Adelina.

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I would take everything that Anna said with pinch of salt though. One week we have an interview where Elena Radionova says how great Adelina is, the following week we have an interview in which Anna says what 'saboteur' (in your words) Adelina is... I think the truth is somewhere in between. The fight for the spots has begun and I am a bit sceptical if someone tries to smear someone else in media. The bottom line is, Anna does not see at this moment Carolina as her direct competitor. It is not Carolina Kostner who is in her way to Sochi, so she can talk about her in nice terms, but with Adelina they are direct competitors for the spots to Europeans, Olympics and worlds. How do we know that this was not just a 'strategic move'?

I have to say that I did like Anna as a person (not as a skater yet because she is not quite polished yet, although she is better than last year) and I really wished her the best. Reading the complaining about Adelina turned me off Anna though. Now I do hope she won't qualify for neither Europeans, Olympics or Worlds this year.

21. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Oh, did Johnny do commentary on the ladies as well as the men? I missed the NBC broadcast.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sure, it's possible that Anna is making this up. If so, quite sneaky. Did any of the posters present at CoC notice anything untoward? I am sure people here have watched Adelina in practice who could comment.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  23. elif

elif Active Member

Because they didn't say they will send top two finishers. They are saying coaches counsil will choose.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

No, Tara did. But I do recall someone saying this, perhaps Johnny brought it up during the mens broadcast?

25. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Ah, now that you have told me this, the tone and color of the interview becomes clearer.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hmm, unless they changed what Anna actually said to make it more scandalous, I don't see how the nature of the publication matters

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

They tend to bait the interviewee a lot more compared to a mainstream newspaper. I.e. "Anna, don't you feel any discomfort training on the same ice as Julia?" instead of "What's it like sharing the practice ice with Julia?" Anna is still really young and more likely to go along with this line of questioning than a more experienced skater who's already heard all the possible ways to try and stir up controversy.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, those were charged questions and Anna seems to be refreshingly unscripted.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The whole coaches' council is just such bullshit. Results alone should decide who goes to the Olympics.

The Finnish system is the best - you take the average scores out of a few competitions during a season, so that consistency is rewarded and you can't just manipulate the Nationals result.

Wow...

As if I needed more reasons to dislike her.

Perhaps you'd like to sort out your own jumps Sot, before you worry about other skaters.

30. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

A variety of techniques could be employed if you are really gunning for a "juicy" story, particularly if you have a certain amount of journalistic latitude as a semi-tabloid. I'll spin you a scenario on how something like that might happen:

It's possible that we might not even be seeing the interview in its entirety. The interviewer might ask the same baited question multiple times, rephrasing it a bit each time, until the athlete is either worn down so that she will follow the inquiry where the interviewer wishes to lead, or is trapped by an unfiltered moment into saying something they would not normally say. The non-compliant questions are then excised, and the interview is edited to give the impression of naturalistic continuity.

These types of techniques would, I would surmise, work best with young athletes who have just hit the big time, who have just won something significant and are therefore in a chuffed and chatty mood, but whose expansiveness is not matched by any significant experience in handling wily media types.

Someone like...well, yes, like Pogo, as a matter of fact. ;)

Jes' sayin'...