Anna Pogorilaya: I jumped up and down when I saw myself ahead of Carolina Kostner!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by quiqie, Nov 3, 2013.

1. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Anna Pogorilaya: I jumped up and down when I saw myself ahead of Carolina Kostner!

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/12392.html

Third event in the Grand Prix series has finished yesterday in Beijing, China. It was a senior debut for Russia's Anna Pogorilaya and she started with a win. The score she got at this competition - 178.62 for two programs - placed her ahead of 2013 European silver medalist Adelina Sotnikova (174.70) and 2012 World champion from Italy Carolina Kostner (173,40).

Anna Pogorilaya shares her impressions of the victory with the TEAM RUSSIA 2014 correspondent Maria Vorobyeva.

Anna: The thought that I ended up ahead of Carolina Kostner had a tremendous effect on me. I was just jumping up and down for joy! My main goal at this event was to place in the top 3. And I needed to skate cleanly for that, because my coach, Anna Vladimirovna Tsareva, and I realized perfectly well that my competitors are ranked much higher than I. Therefore, it was very important to have a good outing at my first ever Grand Prix event. Of course, winning was completely unexpected for me (smiles). There was no goal to place higher than any of other skaters, it was more important to have a decent skate. Kostner gets incredible PCS, in the free program she got nearly 10 points more than me! It's fantastic! But I got 20 points more in TES (smiles). On the other hand, Carolina just not skated her best in both programs, and both her TES and PCS were lower than usual. If she skated clean, no one could have come even close to her at this event.

MV: What about Adelina Sotnikova?

Anna: Adelina managed to overcome herself in the short program and skated brilliantly. But, you see, it was difficult to skate here - time zone change, jet lag, the air at the rink was not very good, smog in the streets, and Adelina skated last yesterday. She had her own thoughts pressuring her, she must be always thinking about the Olympic Games - I understand how hard it was for her. It was much easier for me.

MV: But you also had to feel the pressure?

Anna: When I was in the hotel, I was shaking with fear (smiles). But on the ice, I realized that I left all the fear behind, in the hotel. There was an upbeat music playing before my skates, I listened to it - and forgot everything. It was very uplifting and helped me to get in the right mood.

MV: Anya, what did this victory cost you? How did your preparation to your first Grand Prix go?

Anna: Preparation was hard (smiles). Very hard. I realize only now that it wasn't a waste and it all paid off. My coach and I often argued, my body hurt because of endless painful training. My massage therapist is probably tired already of getting all the kinks out of my muscles, I often had muscle spasms, was in constant pain. I cannot even describe how hard it was!

MV: It will probably get even harder now?

Anna: Yes. At the Grand Prix in France I will have to face even more serious competition. Look at the French girls, they are so powerful and strong. I'm getting nervous just looking at them. In Paris it will be much tougher! Here everyone is nice and smiling, there it will be tough (smiles).

MV: Are you ready for battle?

Anna: Yes! My coach will always support me, just in case (smiles).

MV: Winning Cup of China made you more confident?

Anna: It rather has shown me how much I lack yet. I wasn't happy at all to see such a gap in PCS between me and Kostner. I realized that I was very tired by the end of the free program, which means I need more run-throughs, working out the bugs. And, considering that everyone will from now on see me as an additional threat, they will work harder and try to be even better.

MV: Anna, you said that it was easier here for you than for Sotnikova. And earlier you said that you don't have a goal to get to the Olympic Games…

Anna: I didn't say I wouldn't try to get to the home Olympics (smiles). I just think that realistically I'm likely not to be sent to the Olympics in Sochi. There are already enough candidates for the two spots, I'm in the second-tier group, and it is unlikely they'll place a bet on me. But I definitely have to fight (smiles).

MV: Does it mean you will prepare for the National championships even more seriously than for the first Grand Prix?

Anna: Oooh! Russian Nationals is everything to me! Of course, we count on placing high enough at Nationals to be able to go to the big international competitions - European and World championships. But we have a plan B as well - if anything, I can go again to the Junior Worlds, and I need to raise my ranking for that, too. It happens sometimes that you place third at Nationals, but the Federation decides that someone else should go. Then I will have nothing to lose - I have to compete somewhere. But, in general, I just have to skate well!

2. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Thanks Quiqie! You can really sense her happiness and excitement in this interwiew!

3. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Nice interview. She's refreshingly honest yet respectful and self-aware. Well done, Anna!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Yet again, thanks for the interview, quiqie. :)

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you, quiqie!

6. elif

elif Active Member

Qualify for the World Juniors could be hard as Europeans.:watch: Good timing for doing senior grand prix. :)
    With a Grand Prix Gold medal I don't think she is in the second-tier group anymore. :)

7. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Terrific interview. Love the combination of candor, humour and positivity she demonstrates. Thanks Quiqie!

8. bek

bek Guest

What a likeable girl! Love her attitude.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great skater, great attitude. Thanks for translating this.

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

OMG, if she isn't sent to Europeans, Olympics or Worlds, she is hoping to get back to Junior worlds. It will be fight to get one of those three spots for junior worlds. The most likely candidates are Pogorilaya, Radionova, Medvedeva, Proklova, Sakhanovitch and Sotskova...

11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Astounding maturity.

12. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

My thoughs also. SHe knows where she's at and knows what to do next. Good for her.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It sounds as though she is prepared to face the challenges ahead.

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Nice! I had to laugh when she said she was worried about facing the French girls though. She is very humble.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Haha, me too. Meite did skate a clean FS at her first GP but obviously she's nowhere near Pogorilaya technically. Gilleron-Gory is having a very rough season so far.

Good to see she is so level-headed though. :)

16. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I will surely cheer to her in Paris. Maybe will do a small interwiew, too.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Please do. :)

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I like her :cheer:

19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I love her candor and enthusiasm. I will be cheering for her this season.

20. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

She is just a breath of fresh air. It's kind of like Osmond was last year.
    It's very easy to skate free with no expectations on you when your the newcomer. " The hard part starts when you win (Jill Trenary)".

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would translate this as "It's incredible" rather than "fantastic." But yes, Anna, Caro gets better PCS with good reason. Anna's P/E is barely there, while Carolina's even on a bad day like this, is better. I am glad to see that Anna ultimately realizes this. I hope to see her develop in the PCS area, the jumps are there.

I liked this interview, what a nice, mature girl she is.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

What a well spoken young lady :) Love her honesty!

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed reading this interview; thank you for the translation!
    Anna seems grounded and well aware of her strengths and weaknesses. I hope she can keep improving and doing well. I really enjoyed her free skate :)

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Awesome interview, she seems to have a great attitude and an astonishingly mature perspective for a 15 year old. She knows where she stands in Russia and what she needs to do to get noticed there, no resting on her laurels and she is very honest and open about everything. It is not surprising she has been such a strong competitor up to this point, she and Julia share this sense of blunt honesty and drive that appears to set them apart from the rest. And then there is just having the ability to compete and rise to the occasion, something that you just cannot teach.

25. Loves_Shizuka

Is it Pogo-ril-Iyah?

Or Pogo-RIL-eeyah?

Or...?

26. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Pogo-REE-lah-yah, I think. Ukrainian word for a person who lost their posessions in a fire, btw.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  27. Loves_Shizuka

^Thank you! :cheer: And... what a meaning!

28. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Me likes AnnaP a lot due to her refreshing honesty. I hope that she and YuliaL will form the Russian Ladies team for Sochi. Russian Nationals will be very exciting.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This. They both have exactly the right attitude and enough self-awareness needed to succeed. Their skating still leaves a lot to be desired but they are making progress and they know their weaknesses and aren't planning to rest on their laurels (which is what Sot and Tuk largely appear to be doing, IMO).

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

No kidding! Well, she certainly seems to have the developing ability to endure the competitive fires of figure skating and gain some glorious podium possessions. ;)

Right now Anna P looks wonderful technically/ athletically and was also pretty well put together re her costume and music (sometimes the Russian ladies seem to have odd choices in those respects). It will be great if she can improve artistically and interpretively re her music as she matures.