Ann Arbour dance coaches moving to Colorado Springs?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by wildfire, Mar 19, 2011.

1. wildfire

wildfire New Member

The talk in Colorado Springs is that Yuri and Yasa are making a move to World Arena. Maybe the Detroit area is feeing a bit congested.

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Or maybe the void for Dance in Colorado Springs is drawing them in? It would be nice to have a strong dance program in the Springs.

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

What will happen to the dance teams they currently coach, like Kringkraireut/Giuliett-Schmitt? I think Lynn goes to University of Michigan, I can't see the team moving to Colorado. :(

4. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

We can only hope that they will help Tom Z's skaters with their footwork and stroking.

Also pray that they have Tom Dickson and Christopher Dean choreograph their teams.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Is Christopher Dean still in the Springs?

6. MarciajsR

MarciajsR Member

I think Dean has returned to Great Britain since he divorced Jill Trenary.

7. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, but the city is Ann Arbor, not Ann Arbour. If a moderator reads this, could you please correct. Thanks.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, Lynn is pre-med at University of Michigan. Logan graduated from college a few years ago (Eastern Michigan University, I think).

I can't stand the idea of such a wonderfully creative team going to Marina/Igor! :scream:

9. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Me neither.

That would be all the top teams besides H&H as part of the Igor crew.

Having all of the top teams under one coaching team can't possibly be a good idea. Different perspectives is what is needed to continue to help the discipline grow.

10. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

i read that he is only in Britain when taping his shows. He still spends part of the year in Colorado because his sons live there.

11. wildfire

wildfire New Member

I think H&H are now H&Donohue. I don't know if they're at DSC or Canton. Dean has been in Colorado Springs when he's not busy with DOI.

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Who is H-H?

13. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Hubbells.

WHOA on the Hubbell/Donohue part. I like both skaters so it'll be interesting to see how they look together (if this is indeed true). Any word on what he Hubbell is doing?

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you. So Habbles are split up? After all this situation with WCh i missed something.
    And what about Kifer? I think he is one of the best male patners in USA now, will be sad, if he will not compete any more....

15. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

WHAT? :eek:

16. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I believe he has retired.

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What Lanna said.

vvvv

Exactly - what? :eek:

Well that would be a shame, but I hope he finds fulfillment in his future endeavors.

18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Well, that's burying the lead. Surprised there hasn't been a thread about the Hubbell's already.

19. Civic

Civic New Member

They have to do what they feel is best for them professionally but it would be a shame if they go. One of the advantages of the ice dancing program in Ann Arbor is that it's so convenient for ice dancers who also want to attend college. You have the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and Eastern Michigan University in nearby Yspilanti. U of M is one of the best universities in the U.S.

20. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Aren't there 2 more great rinks in Detroit? Z/S and K/C? I believe they both train international quality teams. There would be choice. It is difficult on the teams themselves when really good coaches relocate, especially for those skaters that are attending university. But I can understand a decision like this if teams are bleeding to Detroit anyway (S/B for example), and Colorado Springs is less crowded with international ice dance coaches. It would certainly breathe new life and energy into ice dance in Colorado Springs. It's healthy for the sport to spread quality coaching around the country, instead of concentrate everything in one small area.

21. Conga

Conga New Member

Would S/Z even have room to take them on?

22. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Do they ever turn down an elite team? It's a factory up there! If they got Lynn and Logan they could have the top 5, 6 or 7 teams next year at Nationals.

Still, I don't believe Lynn and Logan would go for Marina/Igor. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

wildfire and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Libertango

Libertango New Member

I suppose it's Z.Donohue (former partner of P.Gilles). Is he related to Madison's former partner N.Donohue?

It's a shame for Keiffer but maybe he wants to go to college?

24. wildfire

wildfire New Member

To add another twist to the Colorado scene, Pratt and Gilles seem to be skating together again.

25. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Interesting, had Pratt and Gilles retired?

26. reese

reese Well-Known Member

He definitely had, not sure about Pratt.

This is really surprising news.

27. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Although I would be really surprised if that were true, I'd also be thrilled... I loved them. If they ended up using Tom Dickson as a choreographer, I'd be pretty interested to see where this led.

28. Civic

Civic New Member

Ann Arbor is 43 miles from Detroit. That's probably at least an hour drive when you factor in traffic. Many people do commute that far to work every day but for someone who's trying to juggle training and demanding pre-med classes it could be onerous.

29. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

None of the Detroit area rinks are actually in Detroit, not even the Detroit Skating Club, which is located in Bloomfield Hills.

30. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I commuted from Ann Arbor to Bloomfield Hills a few times a week during my first 2 years of college. It took 45 minutes in the best of conditions, and 2.5 hours in the worst. By my junior year, it became impossible to schedule classes around that anymore. I don't think there's any way you could be a full-time student and make that commute every day for 3-4+ hours on the ice.