Ankle injuries in skating

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Hedwig, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I have some problems with my right ankle (incidentally my landing foot) for the last two years now.
    So it wasn't caused by skating (as I only started a year ago) but by a torn ligament.
    It never seemed to heal properly as there were always moments of pain near the achilles tendon or even more on the top of the foot.

I am now diagnosed with tendonitis of the tibial tendon. I guess it could have been aggravated by the tight skating boots...

Anyway, my questions now are manyfold ;)

1) Are there ways to relieve the pressure of the skating boot on the tibia tendon?
    2) How much does the skating boot generally help against twisting of the ankle? (as I have a light sprain in the ankle as well)
    3) If it does not help much: Is it possible to wear a bandage under the boot? And if so - what kind would you recommend?
    4) Did anyone hear ever have tendonitis and knows when it is safe to go back on the ice again? I have no pain anymore apart from the times when I stretch my ankle.

Thankful for any tips - an ice deprived Hedwig :(

;)

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It does help, but if you're working on turns or jumps or spins you'll probably be doing some twisting that could exacerbate an existing injury or require more strength in the ligaments than you have while injured. Don't overdo it.

I would recommend one of those thin elastic sleeve-like braces, something like this or this that can fit inside the skate without taking up too much extra room and that doesn't have a wider seam at the edge, especially the edge that goes under your sole, since that would feel annoying.

Or you could use strapping tape.

But if you have an acute injury that will heal in a few weeks with rest and ice, then rest and ice it.

Hedwig and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I had tendonitis of the tibial tendon in my right ankle starting about 2 years ago - flaring up off and on for a year or so. Haven't had problems lately (*knocks on wood*) but that's probably due to spending 6 months off the ice after breaking my left lower leg last November. :(

What helped me was PT (about 6 weeks) and then icing the ankle for about 15-20 minutes every night, whether I skated that day or not. Also, I wore a bunga pad around the ankle (over tights/socks) when I skated - there are also other brands of gel pads. Do a search and you'll probably find an e-tailer that sells to your area.

Hedwig and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Hedwig

Thanks so much for your tipps!

gkelly, it makes sense that jumping aggravated my injury. Especially with the flip where I really turned my ankle a lot.
    Your advice to let it heal is very sound but so hard to do. :saint:
    But I have been good for over a week already and haven't died so I might hold on for a little more. ;)

Debbie, thanks so much as well and so sorry about your leg. Is it better now?

I will try to find something like the bunga pad for when I start again. That sounds like it might really help. Stupid question: It says there 5' or 10'. Is that quantity or a measurement and if the former what would a normal weight normally build woman need?

5. Debbie S

Yep, it's pretty much completely healed. I went back to skating in mid-May but couldn't do left-foot turns until a week and a half ago, b/c one side of the bone was a bit slow in coming completely together. At the 1-year mark from the surgery (Nov. 12), I'm going for another x-ray and if the doc is satisfied with the way the bone looks, we'll schedule a date to get the hardware out - the screws are annoying.

That is actually a measurement in inches (us darned Americans and our outdated measuring system :)). 5 inches is about 13 cm - that should be enough - I assume the painful area is on the top/front of the ankle? You can position the pad starting just below your ankle bones and it will go up to about the top of your skate. If you find that's too long, you can cut it with regular scissors.

One other thing I remembered: before skating, I would stretch the ankle really well - point and flex and rotate it around. It definitely helps to loosen it up before you put it in skates.

6. Hedwig

Thank you.
    I just read about the stretching as well so it really seems to make a difference if you say so as well. I will do that then.

Wow - 1 year to completely heal the leg. Injuries always take soooo long...

7. Hedwig

Okay, I have been on the ice today for the first time since 2 weeks (felt like forever ;) )

I had no problems while skating or afterwards but then the pain was almost never during or after skating but only when I bent to much in the ankle off ice or when I jumped off ice and landed a bit off.
    That is still the case and hasn't changed at all even with the rest, cooling every night and PT. I wonder if it can ever "really" heal as I had if for two years now and it never seemed to get any better or worse.

I am just a bit worried as I read on the internet that tendonitis can cause the tendon to weaken and then rupture more easily. A ruptured tendon does not sound like fun.

Anyway, I am going to get an MRT on Tuesday. Fingers crossed they will say that everything is okay and that I can just ignore the pain.

8. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

ankle sprians are the worst. Just for hte record...they never really heal. The old saying goes once you sprain it once you are more likely to do it again. I did a grade 2 sprain a couple years ago. I had sprained the ankle a few times when i was younger and never did PT for it. This last ankle sprain was bad and even with intense PT it still hurts when ive done a lot of walking, running or even when i stretch. The ligaments and tendons are just not cooperating.

9. Debbie S

I think the issue is that as you age, it becomes more difficult to heal completely. I had a bad foot/ankle sprain when I was in college and have never had any problem with it since (knock on wood, lol). I'm now 38, so I'm a bit leery about whether I will fully recover from the effects of my broken leg and subsequent surgery. The bone will be fine, but the surgery involved manipulating the knee a bit (I'll spare the details) and I do have some tightness that the doc said is scar tissue....and from what I've read, scar tissue around the knee is difficult to get rid of.

Another adult skater who had the same injury and surgery told me she hasn't had any knee problems - but I think she was about 10 years younger when she had the injury than I am now.

10. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

Debbie...I had ankle injuries since i was about 12. Because i did no PT it became known as a weak ankle, more prone to injuries. Whikle I agree that age is sometimes a factor, what you did in your youth can also come back to haunt you.....

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The thing about ligaments, as opposed to other kinds of tissues that can be injured, is that they never really go back to their original strength after healing from injuries.

12. timing

timing fragrance free

My daughter had several ankle injuries. She has done PT many times and has daily exercise to maintain the muscle strength. Her physical therapist also showed her away to tape her ankle. She is supposed to tape it before she skates. She has not reinjured it in several years so I think the exercises and tape are helping.

13. stirling

stirling Guest

Little Stirling has just broken and dislocated her ankle preparing for States - all in skating boots! Bye bye National Champs for this year :(

14. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

(((((little s))))))

15. grandma

grandma Active Member

My son has had the ligments in his ankle torn three times.
    The first time he just wore a AirCast brace for 4 weeks. he had intensiv physio and elektro therapy and was back on the ice in 4 weeks.
    The second time he tore two ligments. The ankle was operated on ... he had to stay lieing down for 10 days so the scar could heal in quiet. Then 4 weeks Air cast ++ what I said before. Last year he tore the ligment again during athletics he was operated on again +++
    he was always back on the ice after 4-% weeks and was in position to jump again after about a week on the ice. The only jump he was careful with was the lutz.

All injuries were aalways on the same ankle.
    he wears a strech bandage now when doing sporta aat school otherwise he doesn`t take any other precautions.
    We are of the opinion that surgery is the better option as the ankle has a greater stability