Anissina to return??

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by alij, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

And still no confirmation from either the FFSG or Peizerat. I wonder if the comeback will end up being them skating together in shows? That seems way more realistic.

3. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

The article says that Peizerat will return to France on June 27th, which may be when he finds out about this plan. :lol:

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Them trying to make a comeback at this late date is almost disrespectful to the teams and skaters who are not treating skating as a lark like they are.

5. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

A friend of mine from Romania called me (!) on my cell phone to ask if she can sleep at my place if Marina & Gwendal come to Golden Spin for their TES in December.

I said - why not!
    The circus needs spectators and I am sick of being all alone in Dom Sportova.

TAHbKA and (deleted member) like this.
  6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

"I just heard this, and this is crazy. Marina and Gwendal are going to the Olympics, maybe."

Sorry, that just popped into my head..

7. Elise

Elise New Member

A visa waiver won't change anything really - she will be allowed on the plane, but if indeed her visa was revoked at some point, chances are she won't let her go through immigration.

8. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Actually, if her visa was revoked at one point she would probably have to apply for a visa at the embassy before travelling and cannot travel on the visa waiver anymore, one way or the other. There are a number of questions that you have to answer for the visa waiver (the yes and no kind, like have you ever committed a crime) and I think there might be one about having been denied a visa and/or entry to the States. Being connected to Mr T. might also mean that she cannot use the visa waiver anymore. After all, the FBI did want to question her back in 2002, as far as I remember.

However, originally, Jenny was asking if they had been to the US since SLC, I don't think travelling to the US right now was ever a question.

9. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they have skated in the US since then.

I know I have seen them live only once. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly when, but I'm pretty sure it was not immediately after their OGM. I do remember being impressed with the power and smoothness of their blades and thinking their OGM quality still showed.

Edited to add:
    OK, it took some hunting, but I found this photo of them from the Atlanta stop of the 2006 COI tour.
    http://www.pbase.com/nikonsean/image/61204676

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, I definitely remember that at some point Marina was no longer wanted for questioning and then returned freely to the US... I didn't post, because I didn't remember the date. Susan M is right.

11. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Pretty sure I saw them in Seattle after I moved here in 2005.

2006 COI sounds right.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Marina Anissina could only have had her visa revoked if she had a visa to revoke in the first place. The IOC didn't award prize money at the Winter Olympic Games, so, as a French citizen, she would have been entitled to a visa waiver. She probably would have needed a visa to participate in COI in 2006, but that was after the investigation was dropped.

The fact (if it is one) that Anissina stayed out of the United States to evade questioning by the FBI does not mean that she had a visa revoked.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

But she did participate in COI in 2002. I think that's why people were wondering about her visa. Glad to know she and Gwendal were in 2006 COI. I always forget that COI was still running during that time.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This kind of rose-tinted nostalgia conveniently forgets how utterly and totally empty the vast majority of pre-IJS programs used to be (not that it's much better today but at least we have the demand of technical difficulty instead of seeing step sequences composed of toe-steps and three-turns and nobody even attempting to get the right edges in the CDs).

15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

That technical difficulty uses up way too much of the dances so that the entire span of the dance is used just to reach high levels required to do well. Especially in the step sequences which frequently become back holes of nothingness! Endless nonsense!

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So the programs were empty and the technical aspect was lacking? What attracted you to skating then?

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  17. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Not only that, they did COI before that as well and Skate America as well so the visas that they had might have been valid for several years. My tourist visa is good for 10 years even though I only wanted to spend 6 months in the US when I applied for it.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

She might be back on the list given the renewed interest in Mr. T.

19. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything on this in the last month or so? I haven't heard a peep.

20. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Nothing at all.It was quite ridiculous anyway if it was even true :rolleyes:There was never any reaction or interview about it from Gwendal.It could have been very interesting if it was true.I would rather remember champions for their achievements not for their attempted failed comebacks :p
    What do we remember about FP/M ? Their world gold ? No we remember the fall ghastly FD and the Babs stare :lol:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Gwendal is doing the reality tv show: Ice Show and will be one of the coaches for celebrities.
    Marina has been doing some coaching/choreographing work with French skaters, including some work with Amodio.

22. WeakAnkles

WeakAnkles New Member

Thank you. For the most part COP/IJS has been a terrific boon to ice dancing: it has upped the technical difficulty exponentially and it has made competitions, you know, competitive. I have written a good deal of poetry, and there is something to be said about writing in strict forms like sonnets, villanelles, etc -- it forces you to be MORE creative. I think there is a parallel there to contemporary ice dancing.

Perhaps the one thing COP/IJS scoring has killed is an appreciation for elegant simplicity, such as Rahkoma & Kokko's deep knee bends in their wonderful Valse Triste program, or the quick shuffle steps in Torvil & Dean's Mack & Mabel program. Those simple steps can be choreographically profound and delightful. But, alas, they aren't big point generators...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  23. Susan M

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  24. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

haha :D
    the best on this clip was seeing tatiana golovin again, even if it was without a racket.

but still little bit sad; although we know this would never happen, this would have been quite a story, a/p back on olympic ice :D

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

What a surprise…:p

Taking this comeback seriously for a moment, I think it's better that this never happened. Better to have 2002 be their last Olympic moment as opposed to failing to qualify to Sochi or to actually qualify (no matter how impossible that may seem) and fail to place in the top 15 (more or less). I'm not familiar with the TES requirement rules, but when would have A/P even have had a chance to meet the requirements if they had not done so already?

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Read the end of the third paragraph of Nmsis' post:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-the-middle)&p=4011519&viewfull=1#post4011519

If they were to come back, they wanted to train with Zazoui, but Gailhaguet nixed it, and that was the end of that. Had they been able to train with her starting in the summer, and had they felt they could have been successful (as they defined it), there would have been plenty of Volvo Cups for them to have made the minimums.

27. sykr

sykr Guest

I have to say I think it was probably a good decision not to try it, but as a big A/P fan, I will probably always think "what if...". But if they did something as great as Gilles/Poirier or Hurtado/Diaz's FD, it would be completely stunning and I wouldn't mind the result at all. And I think it was also Marina's motivation. ;)
    As far as I know from a completely reliable source, Marina was indeed asked to come back by Gailhaguet and he was obviously convincing her so long, she started to believe it. But Gwendal talked her out of it. In Russian press, Marina was quoted, saying Gwendal didn't disagree at first, but then changed his mind. She's now working till Sotchi, as consultant/coach for French team. Gwendal is working in that Tv Show, but to be honest, I was very disappointed with it last week. I think Gwendal would be a great choreographer and I think him choreographing/coaching celebrities is a waste of time and especially his talent. I would love to see him work with real skaters and especially to skate with Marina in shows again, but ...oh well...he seems happy and I hope Marina is too :)

28. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Based on the scoring at Cup of Russia, I'm assuming Anissina's return has all been behind the scenes. :skandal:judge::bribe:

:p

29. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Bonaly looks fantastic!!!

30. Susan M

ITA. When I first heard the proposition of them coming back, I didn't really believe it, but it did make me realize how much I would enjoy watching this team again, at least in shows.

I kind of feel that way whenever a great skater from the past announces a come-back to competition. I was interested in seeing what Cohen could do with more maturity and her incredible fitness routine. I would have been interested in seeing what An/P would have done. I was really interested to see how much Lysacek's dancing experience and training might have improved his skating. Oh, well.