Animals Nearing Extinction

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Oct 28, 2011.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Saw this article in one of the free daily newspapers here:

Last native Javan rhino found dead

Vietnam's Javan rhinos poached into oblivion

The article later states:

I know there are articles about species being eliminated by humans on a too-common basis, but this article really affected me. First, an endangered species is hunted to (almost) extinction. And the reason? For something that has no scientific validity. It's like acting on an old wive's tales...just because... :mad:

Ignorance is not bliss.

2. neptune

neptune New Member

That's terrible. :( I sure hope they'll be able to protect that small population in Indonesia at least.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Dreadful. I can't put into words how this makes me feel. A little unrelated but this article from a couple of weeks ago disturbed me more than anything recently. A warning, it's very sad. I refuse to go to Japan because of their stance on whaling, China is also on my lists of countries I refuse to visit because of stories like this. Poor racoon dogs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ive-make-cheap-copies-Ugg-boots.html?ITO=1490

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:( times 1 billion

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Just heartbreaking. How can people do that? A crazed psychopath, okay, but average people working in the fur industry? It's not hard to have compassion for the suffering of animals. There are quick and painless ways to kill them and the same profit is still earned.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is not going to get any better for the animals because as some countries get richer, their populations are buying and demanding more. China for example with it's huge population have a growing demand for all sorts of resources and animals which are now endangered. Unintended consequence of countries expanding rich and middle classes.

7. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

It's not that China's population is huge, it is that there are no independant voices legally allowed. Has anyone ever heard of a privately owned/run animal sanctuary in China? One of the great things about democracies is that people can pool their ideas and resources, independant of opposing views, and work towards their one-of-many-ideas solution.

8. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed:

9. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: There are plenty of privately run and owned animal homes across China. But why does an animal sanctuary have to be privately run to serve a purpose?

And independent voices are legally heard all of the time. When was the last time you read a Chinese newspaper? I read several this morning, and they all contained at least one article where someone was griping against something they didn't like or think was fair. Protests occur in China all the time. There was even one to support occupy Wall Street. One happened in my neighbourhood last week because a local "village" is being knocked down.

These stories are dreadful, but the people to blame are the poachers. I think it's unfair to blame governments that have protection laws for these acts. It's incredibly difficult to find poachers, so all too often they get away with it.

Not visiting entire countries because of the actions of a very tiny percentage of the population is a loss for you, Ozzisk8tr. You're missing out on some amazing experiences by not visiting Japan or China. It's also easier to change these issues from within, and so if you never visit, you can't affect that change.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That makes me want to vomit.

11. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm not going to argue the wrongs or rights of farming animals for their fur- but- no one actually working at that day in and day out is going to be skinning live animals. They would be very difficult to skin, and their beating heart would cause blood to spurt and possibly ruin the fur. It is quick and simple to kill an animal. And then you skin it. That is how it is done anywhere in the world. Those videos are paid, staged, events. I find the fact that animal "rights" groups do this extremely offensive.

And these disgusting videos serve no good. The original point of this thread is the tragic loss of a magnificent species. I have to wonder if the Rhino were as cute as a seal pup, or a racoon dog, maybe they wouldn't be on the brink of extinction.

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

If only poachers and whalers had the tables turned on them.

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Honestly, it made me wonder. What's the purpose of skinning something alive when it's much easier and quicker to kill the animal? For companies taking such shortcuts, why would they do that if not for the camera?

14. Japanfan

Can you provide some evidence that an animal rights group produced this video?

I'm breath a lot easier if you would.

15. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

This is a fur industry website- but keep in mind- they find this video as horrifying as you do.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that contrary to propaganda, animals need to be healthy and happy to have good quality fur. I can completely understand why people find wearing fur offensive, but you don't need to lose sleep over animals being tortured. It doesn't make any sense, if you look into it with an objective view.

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That was my first thought too - there must be some really stupid fur company if their policy is to allow the skinning of their animals alive. It's hard enough getting my cat to stay still to cut his nails! I used to harvest brains and spinal cords from rats - a few times we'd cut the heads off too early when the heart was still beating and it's a HUGE mess. :yikes: (Yeah, that was only for a summer and I vowed not to work with rats like that again. :eek: )

But still the pictures are hard to watch. :(

17. Japanfan

Thanks. I'm not so sure that animals raised for fur need to be happy, but would think a certain level of health would be essential.

It's a shame that animal rights group disseminate such materials when there are plenty of actual abuses of animals and already enough reasons to object to the fur industry.

18. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

The whaling that occurs is legally permitted and monitored under the rules of the International Whaling Commission so I don't get how you can equate whalers to poachers.

There are many different species of whales and not all of them are endangered. The anti-whaling brigade are using logic that says just because cod is endangered all fishing should be stopped.

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

On a note related to PeterG's original post, I got my WWF (that's World Wildlife Fund, NOT World Wrestling Federation!) gift catalog today. You can donate toward the adoption of a Sumatran rhino (okay, it's not Javan but it's reeeeeeally close).
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/gifts/Species-Adoptions/Sumatran-Rhino.aspx

There are many, many other animals to adopt, and if you donate at least $50 you get a plush animal--great to throw on the ice for your favorite skater OR for your kids/nieces/nephews/grandkids. Nice way to spread awareness for young'uns.