Angelina Jolie had a preventive double mastectomy...read her brave essay

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, May 14, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

YIKES!!!!! She has young children so I am sure the thought of them growing up without her had something to do with her decision. Good on her and hope it works. I wish her all the best.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Strange, I read almost an identical article on the Huffington Post a few weeks ago by someone other than Angelina Jolie - not about Jolie, it was about the author.

here it is:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-clark/29-no-cancer-removed-my-breasts-anyway_b_3123993.html
    Looking for that article I was surprised by how many famous women have had this done recently - Sharon Osbourne, Kathy Bates, a recent Miss America contestant - seems like with improvements in genetic testing people can take preventative steps in improving their odds against getting cancer.

4. dardar1126

That seems to have been her primary consideration. Her mother died of breast cancer at the age of 56. That loss was very, very hard on Angelina. In her essay, she talks a lot about her children, and about how supportive Brad Pitt has been.

EDIT: Christina Applegate is another woman who chose a double mastectomy.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I thought Christina Applegate had cancer?

6. dardar1126

She did, in one breast and it was early stage, but had a double mastectomy rather than a less radical approach to treatment.

She has the same breast cancer gene that Angelina has, and her mother is a breast cancer survivor.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

IIRC, it's recommended if you are positive for BRCA and have a strong family history.

8. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

This must have been a difficult decision to make. I wish her the best.
    I'm also surprised that the media didn't find out. Good for her!

9. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

It is brave and bad ass (in a good way) of Angelina to be proactive and public about this. And I was literally just thinking yesterday that if I could pick a celebrity to champion a personal cause it would be one of the Brangelinas. I have a caveat, however, here which I realize makes me a heel but she had reconstructive surgery from the best surgeons in the world. So that cuts down the wow factor for me.

10. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

My sister also chose a double mastectomy in January. She developed duct carcinoma in situ at 46. Thankfully, they caught it really, really early. She preferred the double mastectomy to a lumpectomy followed by radiation and chemo. I think more women are choosing this now.

11. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

That is really radical treatment for DCIS. Of course, I totally respect your sister's wishes, so please don't misunderstand me. Did she have more than one DCIS and were they in both breasts? I had DCIS 5 years ago and had lumpectomy and radiation, which was not bad at all. If I had the breast cancer gene, I might opt for this procedure too. I do have my 5 year mammogram in about 2 hours, so wish me luck! If they find anything, I'm think a double mastectomy is not a bad way to go. No more worries.

12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

She had more than one in her right breast. She also lost her mother-in-law a few months ago to cancer and watched her struggle through several rounds of chemo and radiation and she didn't want to do that. Had more time passed since her mother-in-law's death, she might have chosen differently, IMO.

Good luck on your mammogram!

13. genegri

genegri Active Member

I wish her the best and hope the procedure is successful. She may have to go through oophorectomy too, which I believe is more life changing than double mastectomy.

14. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Actually, Jolie's mom died of ovarian cancer.

15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I think the fact the Jolie-Pitts do not have publicists helps them at times.

16. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Are you kidding me ?? :lol:
    The Jolie-Pitts are one of the most successfull brand managed not by one but by at least 5 known publicists :lol:

17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have always really admired Angelina Jolie for her humanitarian work and the fact that she doesn't ever seem particularly fazed by all of the ridiculous publicity surrounding her (and for many of her fantastic film roles). Even with that considered, I was blown away by her decision to write this. She really is a remarkable person.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Even though I like Jolie's humanitarian work, I find her double mastectomy an overkill, and a not so good judgment.

I have heard of a few women doing this as a preventative measure, and I did not agree with them either (I don't personally know any of them). It is still better to just be very vigilant about the lump, and get the tests done annually. Also the double mastectomy does not guarantee that she will not get another kind of cancer in the future.

19. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Luckily, neither Jolie nor these other women need to listen to you or your advice. Their bodies, their lives, their choices.

antmanb, Lilia A, Habs and 3 others like this.
  20. dardar1126

And Angelina's choice reduced her chances of getting breast cancer from ~87% likely down to ~5%...a pretty good decision imo.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

ITA

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I never said everyone/anyone needs to listen to my "advice". I never gave an advice, it's my opinion,just like everyone else has an opinion. Of course I know it's her choice; no need to tell me that. Just because it reduced her chances of getting breast cancer, does it mean she cannot get another form of cancer? There is no scientific study that proves that. That's where I am coming from, but you won't see that logic.

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  23. milanessa

Not very logical, that's the problem. She was at incredible risk due to the mutated gene and family history of ovarian cancer. No one has any guarantee but she has reduced the likelihood she'll get breast cancer dramatically. I believe she's also contemplating an oophorectomy which is another proactive step. The surgery is not for everyone but for someone with her risk indicators it seems warranted.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Your 'logic' seems to be saying that since this surgery, which dramatically reduced her risk of two specific and deadly types of cancer from over 80% and over 50% to less than 5%, won't also magically reduce her risk of getting every single other cancer on the planet, which she is not specifically at risk for, she therefore should not have gotten the surgery.

That makes no sense at all.

Dr.Siouxs, Vash01, skatemomaz and 3 others like this.
  25. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Having gone through a cancer scare recently, my new motto is to work on preventing disease as much as I can and then I have to let go .. live my life and deal with whatever else comes along and hope it's treatable.

Lilia A and (deleted member) like this.
  26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Actually, it's been reported repeatedly that Angelina herself does not have a publicist for things regarding her personal life. Any quotes or comments come directly from her, not a third party person speaking on her behalf.

On the other hand, her Goodwill Ambassador role, Brad, and their organizations are a different story.

27. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I can't see what isn't there...

Erin, rfisher, mag and 5 others like this.
  28. dardar1126

She's still a young woman and may want to have more biological children, so she may delay this decision. Of course, she could have her eggs frozen, and then use in-vitro and a surrogate for later biological children.

And she and Brad have mentioned possibly adopting another/more children.

29. milanessa

Which makes it her decision.

30. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Good for Jolie. Her choice and her body.