Angela Maxwell

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dupagegal, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

OK after watching Senior Ladies I suddenly remembered No Angela Maxwell.
    What happened to her ? She dropped off the face of the earth. Did she retire very quietly? Inquiring minds want to know?:eek:

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It's sort of a mystery, really...

3. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I really liked Angela. A great deal. Hope she is happy whatever she decides to do.

5. WayCon

WayCon New Member

My perception during her time in New Jersey was that she started battling with everyone she worked with--whether rightly or wrongly is a matter of interpretation--but her skills clearly suffered. In the early days, she was able to do a Biellman spiral, then release her foot and swing it right into a double Axel. It was amazing to see. The timing. She went from Robin Wagner to Olga Orlova. She was very hostile to just about everyone except Adam Ripon and Jane Ruan. Her skill level plummeted. Jumps vanished. Sad.

6. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Thanks for this Utube. It's really telling and I honestly didn't know what happened to her. Some observations.

Angela talks about a back injury in the video. She says she had to take some time off to heal the injury. Then she goes from the interview into a Michael Jackson show song exhibition. She DOES TWO BACKFLIPS IN THE SHOW! WOW with a bad back? Something is not adding up here.

She was asked in the interview if she has a coach.....no she is going to have to try to find one now. She was asked by the interviewer about if she watched the olympics.....funny shows quite a bit of indifference about figure skating and says I watched snow boarding shawn white....lol Whrich is ok but you didn't watch your sport? Bizar???

She looks a little gothy now....hope she gets her head screwed on strait she is looking like trouble from the comments above.....it truely is sad....:scream:

7. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I skated at the same rink Angela skated at for a few months, and I remember watching her land a only slightly UR triple axel during a freestyle session. She had so much potential. The couple times I met her she seemed like a sweet person. No idea about her time in NJ though.

8. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

WayCon, thanks for noting these are your perceptions, and I don't want to "argue" about details regarding a teenage girl on a public board, BUT this seems a very skewed perception & I'd especially disagree with referring to Angela as "hostile". Her situation in NJ was more complicated than what you suggest and - in my perception- it would be unfair to suggest the outcome was her fault. Maybe that's not what you intended, but when the next poster interprets it to mean "she needs to get he head screwed on straight", I think it's only fair to emphasize that there is another side to the story. I wish Angela the best in whatever she chooses beyond skating.

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  9. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

One of her friends asked her on facebook if she was done skating for good and she said "I don't know."

:(

10. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Competitive Skating requires you to have your heart in it. It sounds like she doesn't and that's her choice. It's apparent SOMETHING happened here and she should have her privacy. It's just a shame to see such talent not taken to the full potential. This girl was amazing.:slinkaway:slinkaway

11. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I wasn't arguing that she should still compete even if she doesn't want to, just commenting. It's sad that this happened to her.

12. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

The last time I heard about Angela was during an interview. She said she moved far away from her family and friends to train in figure skating in some fancy place with a fancy coach, just when she was a novice. It must have been very stressful for her; I don't think someone so young should be expected to have that level of independence. It may have been better for her to train nearer to her family, even if under a normal coach.

13. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I was wondering the same thing. I hope that she is able to return if that is what she wants.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Angela was one of the most interesting Ladies. I am really heartbroken she decided to retire. :(

Her spark, her attack and feistiness - I miss that amongst a deluge of GFB programs. ;)

On the other hand, with the level of skating being as high as in the US, she had very little chances of making the national team in seniors.

I wish she'd return and compete for Kazakhstan or Argentina. ;P

15. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I really hope she hasn't retired for good. She is such a little firecracker. :(

Hasn't she multiple nationalities in her ancestors? She really could skate for another country!
    Or I could adopt her so that she could skate for Germany! ;)

16. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

She's half Japanese. So that doesn't really help. But I don't really see her doing all that country hopping stuff anyway.

17. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

I've heard from a family member that Angela is no longer skating and has no plans to resume skating. She's now in school.

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

It depends on the person. Lots of skaters have done just that successfully in the past, but I guess it didn't work for her.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

After Maxwell won the 2008 U.S. Junior Ladies silver medal, she relocated to New Jersey in the spring or summer of 2008 and turned 16 that July. IIRC, her mother eventually joined her in NJ but I don't recall whether it was in 2009 or 2010.

Many young skaters who move away from their families in order to train often live with host families and are just fine. Of course there are the not-so-successful situations/outcomes as well.

Thanks for the update. I really enjoyed her spirited skating and wish her success in the future.

20. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

According to her Wiki history she chabged coaches every year. Not all of it was her doing. Didn't the rink in Texas where she trained with Mishketunok close? I also read somewhere that her last coach in NJ (Orlova?). Decided to move to France to ice dance and called Angela from the airport to inform her.

The constant change has to be frustrating. I do wish she had continued, she was a breath of fresh air as a performer.

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

That's a funny thing to say considering that you started this thread, your previous post in here was pure speculation, you derogatively called her a goth, and you said you hoped her head was screwed on 'straight' since the comments above indicate she is 'looking like trouble.'

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  22. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

oooh, eyeliner and burgundy hair.... so gø†h

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with letting her know she is appreciated and not forgotten.

Sadly, many top competitors quit at the junior level. The physical and mental toll is tremendous at that level. It is more of a wonder that any of them continue after they are past high school age.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

At least Maxwell got to compete at the Senior level at US Nationals once -- placing a very respectable 8th in 2009. IIRC, she was guaranteed one Senior Grand Prix event in the fall of 2009 due to having a top 24 Season Best (JGP) score the season before, but elected to return to the JGP. Her last competition was the December 2009 JGP Final (8th in SP, 5th in FS, 6th overall), and she landed all her planned triples in the FS (6, with one <), so her final competitive skate was definitely a high note.

25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I heard Robin Wagner got fined and reprimanded by the coaching association for "unprofessional behavior" in relation to Angela Maxwell. What happened?

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ya really, just because she dresses a certain way and dyes her hair does not automatically make her "bad news". Appearances can be deceptive and she's always been unique and quirky, I wouldn't make assumptions about her morality and behavior based on the way she looks/dresses, she could be a really lovely girl and always seemed like a sweet, bubbly person in her interviews. She had to move away from her family and kept changing coaches and getting injured, that's a lot of tough stuff to deal with, so her decision to stop could be due to any number of things unrelated to her being difficult, gothy, bratty as some people seem to automatically assume she is...

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is a real shame. She was very special. Lots of energy and charisma on the ice.

I will miss her. :(

That JGPF FS of hers is one of my favourite skating performances ever. She really nailed it. :cool:

28. awskater

awskater New Member

The rink in Texas did close, but there are many more rinks that are open and a short drive that Natalia has been coaching at. :rollin: