Andy Griffith has passed away

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DarrellH, Jul 3, 2012.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

2. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

My father has not openly been a fan of American television, as he does struggle to understand the humor. However, he became a fan of Andy Griffith through the wonders of reruns on one of those channels.

To me he seemed a combination of country and classy that is rarely found today. He was one of the great ones.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Loved him and his work. R.I.P.

4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Wow, what a career he had. Condolences to his loved ones.

I highly recommend "A Face in the Crowd." He was AMAZING in that film. Loved him in "Waitress" as well.

5. Nan

Nan Just me

A great loss. RIP, Mr. Griffith. :(

6. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

RIP Andy Griffith. It's a sad day in Mayberry. But I bet Barney Fife is enjoying the reunion.

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Andy Griffith had one of the longest and most successful careers in Hollywood, and he was always a class act.

(Given the ridiculous number of re-runs shown in syndication, this may seem an impossible feat, but I have never seen even one episode of The Andy Griffith show :eek:).

8. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

:( RIP Mr. Griffith. You were a big part of my childhood, and I agree with the above, ALWAYS a class act.

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Mayberry was good, but my favorite was Matlock.
    Funny the first thing I thought of when I saw this was that he and Don Knotts, his best friend, would be together again.
    RIP

10. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

The Andy Griffith Show is my all-time favorite series. In fact, one of my favorite episodes, with the two floozies who won't go away, was on when I saw that Andy had died.

I second a previous poster's comments about A Face in the Crowd. It's a great movie with a timely message even though it's more than 50 years old.

VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Like most people, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Andy Griffith. May he rest in peace and be surrounded by friends and angels in Heaven.

When I bought a new car that came with satellite radio and the Family Comedy channel, I found out that Andy Griffith did more than just acting and singing. He had some great comedy bits where he retold Shakespearean dramas and classic opera stories in his good ol' boy style. Hilarious and classy.

Romeo and Juliet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7cNratdek

Cleopatra:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiA663FMBxE&feature=channel&list=UL

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

<whistles a tribute> RIP, Andy.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The comedy routines, which he wrote, made him famous; and opened doors for his incredible career.

More. from the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/arts/television/andy-griffith-actor-dies-at-86.html?pagewanted=all

and
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/03/showbiz/andy-griffith-dead/index.html
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57465667-10391698/andy-griffith-dead-at-86/
    http://www.northcountrypublicradio....y-griffith-a-tv-icon-from-mayberry-to-matlock

He was an amazing talent; and so gifted.
    I will miss him,.

Thank you!
    RIP, Mr, Griffith.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  14. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for sharing the links and videos. I always loved Andy (Ang) and Barney (with his one bullet). He will be missed.

RIP, (((Andy))).

15. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Mr. Griffith was a very talented performer who made everything he did look so easy that I found that his acting ability and range was quite underrated. I was astonished when I first saw "A Face in the Crowd" at the ferocity and darkness of his Lonesome Rhodes.

I also smile when I remember his Ritz Cracker commercial - "Good cracker - GOOD cracker!"

He will always be a beloved part of my childhood and a great example to everyone of what one can do with one's life and career without compromising one's core values.

RIP and condolences to his friends, family and loved ones from TV and in real life.

16. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

RIP Andy. Another part of my childhood gone.

17. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Truth be told, I was never a fan of Griffith. His Matlock show was straight out of the Hayes Code where every guilty person would have his comeuppance. I think that is why Law and Order became such a hit for twenty years, you never know if the guilty person will be found guilty. On Matlock, he'd somehow come up with something on cross-X where the defendant would admit his own guilt on the witness stand. Yarrite. I hated that show. My mom bought one of his singing CDs. It wasn't good, but she liked it. So I'm happy she enjoyed it.

RIP.

18. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

My favorite movie of his was No Time For Sargeants.

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

His health hasn't been great for the last couple of years, so I've been expecting this news for awhile now. Doesn't make it any easier to learn about.

I'm another one who grew up w/Andy and Mayberry, only w/me it was the reruns. We also loved Matlock and will watch the reruns if we catch them on. Andy was a Class Act and I can't think of a single bad word said about him. That's something when you think of today's Hollywood.

Thanks to those who have shared those links. Will have to check them out.

Has Ron Howard released a statement yet? He was the second person I thought of after also thinking that he and Don were together again and more than likely making the Angels laugh so hard nothing in Heaven's getting done today.

Sigh...Another legend gone. May he rest in peace. :(

20. Marilou

Marilou New Member

Was very sad to hear the news today. He really was one of the class acts! Loved both the Andy Griffith Show and Matlock, and will still watch the reruns from time to time. :(

21. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Mine too. Loved that movie.

RIP Andy

22. skatesindreams

Statement by Ron Howard:

A friend from his hometown remembers:
    http://mtairynews.com/bookmark/19189928-Andy-Griffith-left-imprint-on-‘Mayberry’-residents

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  23. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

My favorite bits were "What It Was, Was Football", his take on "Carmen" and his commentary on the song "Make Yourself Comfortable".

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  24. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I haven't seen an episode in 20 years, and I still can't get that whistling out of my head.

Goober Pyle died last month too.

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

RIP, Andy Griffith.

26. skatesindreams

27. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

28. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

RIP....:(

NJL

29. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

RIP, Andy Griffith.

30. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Many years ago (I'm thinking maybe early 1980's), during one of the Super Bowl broadcasts, I remember this fluff piece they did on football, where I'm sure Andy was the voice over, where he described the game of football in his heavy southern accent as someone who had never seen a football game before. I have no clue what it was called though. Anyone know? I'd love to find that piece and see it again. I can still remember how funny it was after all these years.

RIP.