Android vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by oleada, Nov 14, 2011.

1. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

So, I've lost my phone, and I've decided to purchase a new one tomorrow. I've been eyeing both the Samsung Galaxy II and the iPhone 4S. I'd thought I was set on the Samsung, but now I'm not sure. On the one hand, the Galaxy II is 4G and I've heard rave reviews about Android in general. It also has the bigger screen. But the iPhone's and iPhone and while I'm not a Mac person in general, I've had my iPod for years and years without any issues. However, it's only a 3G. The cost for both phones is the same.

Does anyone here have any thoughts/opinions on these two phones?

2. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I recently switched from a different droid - LG Ally - to an iPhone and the biggest difference besides just basic usability which is always going to be Apple's strength, is the speed. The iPhone is a LOT faster than my old droid. I don't like the touchpad vs. keypad but in all other areas the iPhone wins.

3. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Prancer, that's such a coincidence - I'm just finishing watching the video and I'm definitely set on the Galaxy II now. It's so much brighter and faster.

There's another video, a drop test with both, and the Galaxy II performed better there as well.

5. Prancer

Samsung is known for its high-quality, crisp, clear screens; that's really a focus for them.

My last three phones have been Samsungs and that's been one of the selling points for me.

I will say that speed depends on a lot of things, not just your phone. My daughter has an iPhone, my son has a Windows phone, and I have a Google Nexus, and it's always a tossup as to whose phone is faster at any given point.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Got the iPhone 4S, my very first iPhone. Figuring out how to put FSU on it! :lol: Hubby is likely getting the new Samsung, what's its name.

With the iPhone I am already annoyed that everything is a bloody app. Welcome to Apple.

I find it interesting that none of the store employees had the iPhone, rather the new Samsung.

7. Prancer

Smart phones are all about the apps, Apple or not. Your husband's Samsung will be the same way.

IME, cell phone store workers never get Apple phones because they can exchange everything else in house if they need to, while Apple makes them do everything through Apple.

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They have iPhones at my AT&T store!

I want to know the answer to the question in Prancer's sig though.

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I want to know the answer, but in APA :saint:

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

My contract is almost up and I'm looking too. I have a Blackberry and I would like to stay with it, but I HATE HATE their internet browser (I use mini Opera instead but I regularly have trouble opening certain links). But I am so used to a keyboard. Whenever I am near an Apple Store, I try out their Iphones but it takes me forever to type out a sentence on a touchscreen.

I am thinking of an Android but I hate Chrome as a browser on pcs and laptops. My parents use Chrome (I am a firefox fan). I do not get the appeal of Chrome AT ALL. I mean, where are the tabs?!?!? And I still don't know how to add and find a bookmark. I haven't tried Chrome on their cells so maybe it'll be better.

My contract is up in April, so I'm hoping that in the next few months blackberry offers new products with a kickass browser.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh OK. So how do I use FSU on this thing? I don't think there's an app for that. :shuffle:

12. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I love my Samsung Charge and i just got the Stratsosphere. These are VERIZON phones. I never have dropped calls:) i love the google platform. Since I am familiar with it i dont have to use extra brain cells. 4Glte...amazing. The camera on either of these has virtually no shutter lag time whuch makes for great pictures.

Ditched my Blackberry and am using my active sync email through an app called touchdown. Can you be in love with an app? And since the stratosphere has a qwerty slide out keyboard.......my friends think I am less retarded than they did before.......really it was embarrasing.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Siri is a hoot.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

My iPhone 3G is dying (literally, the battery is dying and the whole phone is operating very slowly).

Am also thinking whether I should get iPhone 4S or Andriod. iPhone seems to have more apps, and I am already accustomed to using iPhones, but I am very interested in this whole battery issue for iPhone 4S as well as Apple secretly configurating or updating the phone so that it will gradually die in 2 years to lure me into the iPhone 6 or something.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  15. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I have a Blackberry Torch and if I do change, I'll be going to an Android phone mostly because I've heard too many people have issues with service drops and battery life with iPhones.

16. SpiralGirl

SpiralGirl Well-Known Member

Random question, can those of you in the US tell me how much an Iphone 4S is from the American apple site? I can't access it from the UK but the video Prancer posted has intrigued me. The Iphone4 was £500 for the cheapest 16MB here - that video said it was $300 in the US! That's less than half the price :eek:

17. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Marco, I just upgraded from an iPhone 3G to a 4S... it's night and day. My battery was still OK on the 3G, but this new one is so much faster it's ridiculous. In addition, I haven't had the reported battery problems on the 4S at all; in fact the battery has been lasting *longer* than the one in my 3G, so who knows.

18. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Not an Apple fan here, either. :) I have an HTC Incdredible and I love my Droid. I actually don't do a ton of apps, but I do surf the net a lot. It's perfect for me. Plus it has Flash. :D

You can get Firefox for the Android. Personally, I just use the Google browser, but then again, I don't use bookmarks on my phone.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So on my old smartphone I was able to create an icon for FSU that I could just tap. With the iPhone I have a feeling I will have to log on through the internet each time.

20. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I have the incredible too, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! And I'm not one to fall in love with a phone.:lol:

21. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Verizon's HTC Incredible here and I absolutely ♥ it. It's fast and has many useful features/apps, I practically have my entire life on this sucker. It's pretty much another computer for me. Once this breaks down I plan on getting another android.

22. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I have a Samsung HTC droid and like it a lot. I haven't downloaded a lot of apps though. I haven't tried accessing FSU on it yet... but I guess I will before Nationals. :shuffle:

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Go to the FSU webpage. At the bottom of your screen you should see an icon that is a sideways arrow. Click on that and you will see the option to "add to Home Screen".

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Silicon Valley types seem to favor the Androids because it's more a relatively "open" platform and they get to play and change things as they are wont to do. The iPhone is more tightly controlled. :puppet:

This isn't an issue for me because I am just a regular user who wants to make calls, text, take pics/video, post on FSU and other social networking sites and use an occasional app. And I want the phone to be reasonably fast, have a reasonably long battery life and last but not least, I want it to be purty. :p

25. Prancer

So use a different browser. I use Dolphin.

That's part of the reason I don't like Apple. But I wanted something that would sync with my Android-platformed Nook Color and some of the internet tools I use for which there are Android apps but not necessarily iPhone apps.

Really, I think most people would be happy either way; it's just a matter of personal preference more than anything else.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Great, thanks! Another function discovered. :)

27. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I had no idea I could do that, thanks! :cool:

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I got the Samsung. It's amazing :D

(it was a 3 week wait for the iPhone anyway)

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  29. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

speaking of droids, did anyone else get upgraded to 2.3.4 tonight? It made my Incredible a lot faster but lost some of my apps like Smurf Village, original Angry Birds, and Paradise Island. Everything else seems to be fine.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  30. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I got the upgrade a week or two ago but didn't lose any apps that I know of. Did you download them from the market? if so, you should be able to download them again.