Ando is inapplicable of the certified athlete of JSF in next season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

This is an article in “Jiji Press” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Ando is inapplicable of the certified athlete of JSF in next season.
    March 31th, 2013 JST

In March 31st, Hidehito Ito the Chair Person of Figure Skating of JSF clarified that former Worlds Champion Miki Ando, who is leaving from the competition for two seasons, is not contained in “the Kyoka Shitei Senshu” or “the certified athlete” in next season which greet the Sochi Olympics.
    After having accomplished her second victory in 2011 Worlds, Ando rested in the next season. In this season, too, she canceled the participant to the Grand Prix series for reason of the lack of tuning for the absence of the coach and had declined “Tokubetsu Kyouka Senshu” or “the special certified athlete”, too.

Ito the chair person said, “She hasn’t skated for two years and we can’t certify her because she didn’t participate to the Japan Nationals”.
    If she returns to competition, there is possibility to be added to the certified athlete on the season way.
    As for the Japan Nationals in December, too, Ito showed the opinion to say that she must participate from the regional championship which combines a qualifying competition.

The article:
    Ando is inapplicable of the certified athlete of JSF in next season.
    http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2013033100141

This is an article in "The Yomiuri Shimbun" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese

Miki Ando is inapplicable of the certified athlete of JSF in next season
    March 31th, 2013 JST

In March 31st, it found that Miki Ando (25), who won the Worlds two times in 2007 and in 2011, is inapplicable of the certified athlete of JSF in next season.
    It is decided formally in the board of directors in April.
    Ando was absent from the competition for two seasons and she declined the certified athlete this season.
    When she return to the competition next season, JSF said that there is possibility that it is specified to the certified athlete additionally on the season way.

The article:
    Miki Ando is inapplicable of the certified athlete of JSF in next season
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20130331-OYT1T00945.htm?from=ylist

Reference:
    The the regional championship etc which combines a qualifying competition in Japan.

The first step
    There are 6 competitions corresponding to the region in the end of September - the beginning of October.
    http://ephotopix.com/image/asia/japan_region_map.gif

The Tohoku-Hokkaido Regional championship
    The Kanto Regional Figure Skating Championship
    The Tokyo Regional Figure Skating Championship
    The Chubu Regional Figure Skating Championship
    The Kinki Regional Figure Skating Championship
    The Chugoku-Shikoku-Kyushu Regional championship

The second step:
    There are two competitions corresponding to the section in the end of October-the beginning of November.

The Eastern Japan Figure Skating Championship
    The Western Japan Figure Skating Championship

The Last step
    In the end of December,
    The Japan Nationals

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

You wont see her in any serious amateur competition ever again so the whole point is inapplicable to begin with, LOL!

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

If, big if I know, Ando wants to try for Sochi, is the JSF saying that there's still a possibility of her qualifying for Nationals as long as she competes at the area championship and gets her certificate while competing next season?

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

judgejudy27, stop acting like an insufferable know-it-all.

5. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Well since judgejudy has proclaimed the above, it's for definite that Ando is coming back next season. :p

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

What has Miki been doing over the past two years? Has she been skating in exhibitions? I miss Miki, but it would be hard to come back after being out so long.

7. Akira Andrea

I am sure there's a possibility of her qualifying for Nationals sufficiently if she competes from the regional championship while competing next season.

However, I think that the possibility that she is decided to the Japan representative for the Sochi Olympics is very few as long as she doesn't win the championship in Japan Nationals.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

Oh wow, I didn't realize she most likely had to win Nationals. I know she's been missing for the past two seasons, so I guess internationals and the GPs are no longer an option for her? As a Suzuki fan, I'm not going to pretend that it makes Suzuki's job of getting one of the three spots for Sochi easier since she can be inconsistent, but I do feel for Miki if she did want to come back.

9. judgejudy27

To be honest I think the JSF would like to see a young skater with promise for 2018 get the 3rd spot behind Asada and Murakami who are locks for the team IMO. I think their first preference might well be Satoko Miyahara who actually beat Suzuki at Nationals this year, but was too young for Worlds. She is their most promising young skater and she is already good enough to be sent. Suzukis Worlds was quite sad, and I think it might be the end for her, although she still has a shot at that 3rd spot, she probably is done as an international contender or someone the JSF would pin any hopes on. I never thought Ando would come back even before this new, but even if she does I dont think she is making the team, especialy reading she would have to win Nationals. Asada their main medal hope, Murakami who is both a medal hope as the World #4 and a future prospect, and a future prospect just their for the experience is their ideal team I think, and I think that is well what you will see unless Suzuki skates extremely well at Nationals.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

Shame about Worlds because Suzuki had an excellent season (outside of Nationals) before Worlds. Worlds really was an anomaly for her and Murakami.

11. Akira Andrea

She didn't participate to the competition in these seasons but she participated to lot of ice shows.

2011/2012 season EX program

Black Swan
    From Movie "Black Swan"
    Choreo.:Nikolai Morozov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhoWZdDqkw

I am a Thousand Winds
    by Hayley Westenra
    choreo. by Nikolai Morozov

I (Who Have Nothing)
    by Gladys Knight
    choreo. by Kenji Miyamoto

Foolin'
    by Dionne Bromfield
    choreo. by Kenji Miyamoto

Fragile
    by Sting
    choreo. by Miho Tsurutani, Miki Ando

Over the Rainbow
    (from The Wizard of Oz)
    choreo. by Miho Tsurutani, Miki Ando

O Mio Babbino Caro
    by Giacomo Puccini
    choreo. by Stephane Lambiel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAeubtesvxw

Meditation (Thais)
    by Jules Massenet
    choreo. by Noriko Sato

2012/2013 season EX program

Lawrence of Arabia
    From Movie "Lawrence of Arabia"
    Choreo. Stephane Lambiel

Black Swan
    From Movie "Black Swan"
    Choreo.:Nikolai Morozov

Theiss's meditation music composition
    by Jules Massenet
    choreo. Noriko Sato

You Must Love Me
    from movie "Evita"
    choreo. Kenji Miyamoto

Music of the Night
    from movie "Phantom of the Opera
    choreo. Kenji Miyamao
    costar:Shizuka Arakawa
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvVM79RAOg&feature=player_embedded

BlueRidge and (deleted member) like this.
  12. judgejudy27

I agree it was an anomaly for her, and it was a shame. I dont think it was for Murakami though, she is improving her consistency a great deal and seemed to get increasingly better all season long. Suzuki has to skate extremely well like she did at 4CCs to beat her now I think. Suzuki has had an unlucky season, screwed out of winning both her GPs, a bit unlucky at the GPF although still a strong podium, and then what happened at Worlds when reportedly she was excellent in practice and when she had her best outing of the year at 4CCs right before that. I hope I am wrong about her sliding back in the federations estimation, it is just my gut feeling right now, but nobody will know until next season.

13. Akira Andrea

At the end last year when she won the 3rd place in the Japan Nationals, Satoko Miyahara could have been expected as the skater been promised Sochi.
    But I think that JSF was shocked very much with finding that ISU Judges don't love her performance in 2013 Junior worlds.
    Therefore, I think that JSF hesitates about making her debut to senior in next season. I think that she maybe stays in junior in next season still and doesn't join to the 'Japan representative' to the Sochi for the lack of experience in senior competitions.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. VIETgrlTerifa

I do hope that if Suzuki and Miyahara skate reasonably well, they'd be more willing to give the nod to Suzuki for sentimental reasons. I know it may be in the best interest to let Miyahara get as much senior experience as possible to prepare for the next quad, but waiting it out didn't hurt Kwan when she waited it out for 1994 Olympics nor did it really help Nagasu for the past three seasons.

15. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yes Miyahara is a lovely skater but I just don't believe her future is actually that bright. Outside of Murakami, the Japanese have had a real struggle transitioning from Junior to senior competition.

16. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

So I guess this means Miki Ando is going to win the gold medal in Sochi.

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, but I think the situation of Japanese ladies is an interesting case study right now. Suzuki will retire post-Sochi and according to this article, Ando is most likely gone from competition. Miyahara is not Senior ready by virtue of UR's. Senior Ladies that the JSF gave a chance to such as Imai and Ishikawa over the past quadrennial haven't really taken the world by storm. And I'm not sure about Shoji.

It could be that Asada sticks around post-Sochi at the behest of the JSF (whether she wants to or not) due to the fact that Murakami will be the only potential world-beater on the Japanese ladies scene post-Sochi. They will need 2 ladies to keep up the medal machine and to obtain 3 spots over the next 4 years.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

Well, we can always count on Fumie Suguri continuing. ;)

19. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

She really has severe UR issues. Maybe when she grows and gets more power it will help. I can't see her being put on the Olympic Team for Sochi. She has a pretty presence on the ice, but I think next season is too soon for her.

20. judgejudy27

Yes I see that probably as well. I am not sure Asada would want to continue post Sochi but I suspect the JSF will encourage her to. However if Miyahara rises up the ranks to join Murakami they might let her retire if she wishes then.

21. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I can't help it; I really love Suzuki and want her to be on the team for Sochi! I'm calling this season a bad dream and it will all be better next year.

22. judgejudy27

I didnt see the World Juniors this year. I know she finished in 7th place which was lower than I expected after seeing her skating at Nationals. I thought she might be in the hunt for 3rd, I knew the Russians were probably 1-2. How did she skate there. Did she make mistakes or did she skate well and just not impress the judges relative to her peers.

23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The problem is Miyahara's technique relies on quick rotations in the air rather than power to get the jumps around. Even with her tiny immature body, she is underrotating her jumps. Once she develops hips, she will have to learn a new technique or the URs will become downgrades.

FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yeah her coach is Hamada and most of her students lose the jumps once they get bigger and older.. For example, Yukina Ota and Aki Sawada.

25. b-man

b-man Active Member

Is Miyahara considered ahead of Imai by the JSF now? I would rather have Suzuki at Sochi over Miyahara or Imai.

26. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

IMO Ando should skip Olympic season altogether, And just come back for one last "After Olympic Year",
    She was only ever Superb in those anyways ;)

27. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Honestly, with the three who went to 4CCs sweeping the podium, even with Suzuki's shakier season, I think JSF should think long and hard about it if they want to send someone other than Asada, Suzuki, and Murakami.

Besides, in her "off season," she still won medals at GPs and bronze at the GPF and, again, the silver at 4CCs.

28. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

WOW, that was beautiful!!!

I hope very much that Ando will come back for next season...

29. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ANDO has to come back, please :(

30. shah

shah Shhh...

Oh, I'd really love Miki to return to competitive skating. But I'll believe it when I see her actually performing!

And I agree: the situation in Japanese female skating has deteriorated. Suzuki and Ando will definitely retire post-Sochi. Asada's status is uncertain. Imai, Kokobun, Nishino, Ishikawa did not develop as expected. Shoji is haunted by downgrades and lack of consistency. Suguri - well :p... Miyahara - I'm afraid she'll lose her jumps once she grows up...
    I expected a lot from Miu Sato but she didn't even qualify for Japanese nationals this season :(.
    Imho, only Murakami and Rika Hongo appear relatively steady - but Murakami has to work on her jumps (she also tends to underrotate) and Hongo is in need of presentation overhaul!