And You Thought Cinquanta has been horrid for the Sport of Figure Skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Visaliakid, May 25, 2012.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

According to reliable sources if Ottavio Cinquanta's Presidency is not extended two additional years at the upcoming ISU Congress, only two men are seeking his job; Christopher Buchannan, ISU Synchronized Skating Technical Committee Chair and Didier Gailhaguet, President of the French Skating Federation! OMG! :yikes:

Apparently Buchannan has little to no backing among the current leadership and can you imagine where the credibility of the ISU would end up with the IOC if the man directly responsible and suspended by the ISU for what is considered the biggest scandal in the history of the sport, is elected? Allowing Didier to even be considered is just inconceivable to me.

According these sources, Gailhaguet is hard at work catering favor with the current council leadership. This is just outrageous on it's face. ISU members, WAKE UP and smell the manure being spread within Skating's Governing Body! :scream:

I never, ever thought anyone would ever hear me say this; Maybe the ISU needs to allow Cinquanta to remain as President so as to allow for different candidates to politic to replace him in 2014. I am sick over this!

2. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Do you have source citation for this? It seems inconceivable to me that Didier could EVER be up for ISU president. Seriously? I thought David Dore or someone from the US would throw in their hat? If the choice is a nobody that would never get elected and Didier, what went wrong?

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Very interesting and disturbing news if the latter case comes true :(

4. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

For years the mantra on this Blog has been, "we must have a Figure Skater as president of the ISU." It has been ruined by Speed Skaters. :) However, in spite of the complaints, no one has ever came up with a viable and electable Figure Skating candidate Like him or not, Didier knows Figure Skating. BTW, the Council does not elect the President. That is the responsibility of the Member Federations.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Sonia Bianchetti and Sally Ann Stapleford both would have been excellent ISU presidents. Their not being "electable" has more to do with the ISU than it does with them.

6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

What about David Kirby? He'd be terrific, IMO.

7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I love that you wrote this with a straight face! Of all the people directly involved with this large, multi-national sport, THE only viable candidate is the man at the very heart of the sport's biggest corruption scandal? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Thank you Morry! I needed that laugh.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I have to strongy disagree with you.

Stapleford is one of the most biased persons who puts her country and political affliations above the interest of FS. If you want an example, 2002 Salt Lake City. If she becomes president, all eastern European countries should just say goodbye to FS.

What qualifications does Bianchetti have to become the president of ISU? None, IMO.

9. overedge

Bias is in the eye of the beholder. We could argue from here until approximately forever about Salt Lake City 2002, but I'll just say that IMHO you are seriously misreading what happened there if you think that is an example of Stapleford being more concerned about her "country and political affiliations" above the interests of the sport.

And in case you've forgotten, before she was turfed, Bianchetti served within the ISU in many different capacities, and has extensive history with and knowledge of the organization.

10. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

Christopher is also an ISU TC and ref in both synchro and ice dance.

Do you have any details on why there's a lack of support for him? Just not enough involvement in singles perhaps?

11. Morry Stillwell

Just as would be the case in most organizations, forming a competitng organization while in official postions with your current organization, pretty much takes one out of being electable.

12. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I beg to differ. Both very stuck in the mud about how much better things were in ye olden days.

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

nevermind

14. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

15. Visaliakid

Electing another corrupt cheater to head the sport will further damage the credibility of the sport. ISU member organizations it would appear are mired with a total lack of courage and conviction to fight for the future of the sport. They are all afraid to be blackballed from the ISU by these same good-old-boys, thereby losing the ability for their skaters to compete internationally. The United States Figure Skating Association and Skate Canada have for years have failed to take an active role in the governance of the sport because of this fear. Look where that has taken the sport. Just more corruption, cheating, blackballing and scandal. How's that been?

16. Visaliakid

All ten Presidents of the ISU in the 120 year history of the organization have been good-old-boys from Europe. Not one woman and no one ever from the West or Asia. Just another factoid to consider when discussing why the ISU is both corrupt and add to that Sexist too!

17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yeah, but would he do it? I doubt it.

18. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Why are we surprised? ISU is just completely out of touch with reality.. Like most highly political bureaucratic institutions..

19. overedge

Maybe then, instead of casting them into the wilderness, the ISU should have asked why two of their top officials felt it necessary to form a competing organization, and tried to resolve the problems that caused them to want to leave.

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

100% agree.

And why am I supposed to hate Didier again? I can't remember.

21. Morry Stillwell

You are not as informed as you profess to be: Skate Canada and US Figure Skating concieved and developed the Grand Prix series. US Figure Skating and Skate Canada has been very successful at electing members to Technical Commitees and the Council. Thse are truly leadership positions. It I obvious that the writer above has never been to an ISU Congress and seen Skate Canada and US Figure Skating in action.

22. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I agree, and IIRC there were a number of complaints, letters etc. from judges and officials ,and not all Russian or even necessarily pro-Russian,concerning the way Sally Stapleford had been handling herself as head of the tech committee prior to SLC . She had bias and ulterior motives same as everyone else, IMHO

23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I've no idea if Gailhaguet would make a good president for the ISU relative to others. From a PR point, I can't imagine this would be a good idea.

I wasn't aware that David Dore has renounced his citizenship. And the argument that only Europeans are involved in politikking is laughable.

24. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

At the end of the day people have to want the job. Whilst I understand the concerns, if no-one else wants to do it, then there is not much choice.

25. Nours

Nours Active Member

At least, we wouldn't have him as FFSG president anymore. And I think he would be better as ISU president than FFSG president.
    And thinking Guaillaguet was the only one who cheated during and before SLC makes me :rofl:. They just had to find somebody to put the blame on him. The methods he's using, every others federations used them too. Thinking it's over now is even funnier. And Stappleford is not better for mentaly pressuring Le Gougne during and after the event.
    It's not that I like him, not at all in fact, but at least he knows figure skating and has a true vision for the sport. Unlike some others who just wanted to see their countrymen on podiums. He tried things as figure skating vice president, two LP at GPF for exemple ; in order to try to make skaters creating more than one LP per season an thus making FS more exciting for audiences (yes it failed...)
    Too bad Lawrence Demmy wasn't elected in 1994. Ice dancing would have survived !

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

On the season finale of the Walking Dead, I saw one zombie who looked shockingly like Cinquanta. I fear he may never go away... :eek:

:wuzrobbed

El Rey and (deleted member) like this.
  27. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont really have an opinion one way or the other on Stapleford but Bianchetti would be a horrible choice. One just has to read her blog postings to see how incredibly biased and out of touch with current skating she is. She is as laughable a choice as say making that Jon Jackson judge the new ISU president. Furthermore when she part of the ISU she was frequently involved in many of the politic deals and corruption that she now condemns making her a hypocrite.

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree, he isnt the ideal choice but as others have said there are few other viable candidates at the moment unfortunately. I do think he would do a better job as ISU president than his current post. Seeing many of his comments over the years he is merely a realist who understands all the unwritten rules of the sport and all its dirty little secrets, rather than living in a fantasy World and prentending they dont exist or even being a self righteous westener who pretends only the Eastern European block exists or gets involved in deal making (ROTFL).

One thing I do believe is he knows how to make things interesting and lord knows the sport needs that badly, especialy in North America. Even with the success of North American skaters in recent years, atleast in mens and dance, there is next to zero interest in the sport in this part of the World now. All that is left is the almost dead Stars on Ice tour, only Nationals or Worlds are televised by any of the major networks (and even then barely not). To watch skating for those of us who want we are forced to dig up crummy online feeds somewhere. North Americans would probably even welcome another scandal, even one with them as either the real or perceived victims, then things as they are.

29. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:lol: Funniest post I have read in a while! Thanks! :)