an open letter to skating event sponsors

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Artemis@BC, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

(anyone watching Canadians will I'm sure know what sponsor in particular I'm talking about ...)

First of all, thank you. Figure skating is not an underdog sport by any means, but it still needs the support of the corporate community to survive. I'm sure I'm not out of line in speaking for the wider figure skating fandom (who, of course, are also consumers) in saying that your sponsorship is greatly appreciated and valued.

But you risk losing any good will when you insist on your centre-ice logo being big enough to be seen from space.

Here's a good rule: if it takes a skater more than one second to skate across your logo ... it's too big. Or, if a pairs team can easily fit inside your logo while doing side-by-side camel spins ... it's too big.

Figure skating is a beautiful sport. Please, let's keep it that way.

Artemis, in Vancouver BC
  2. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Just too glad they are willing to sponsor this event, which is so important to me. I don't care if they paper the walls as long as I get to see my skating. In fact I plan to send them an appreciative email.
  3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

At the end of the day the event organisers are getting sponsorship which in this day and age is blessing. The sport is lucky to have them. I know if we had anyone in Australia offer anything to support our sport they can do whatever they like.
  4. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I'm with you on this one. I was there and the logo was beyond huge! Yes I'm glad that the sponsorship was there but it really felt over-the-top.
  5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The logo would be a lot more legible and a lot less distracting if they did a version with black outline and type on a white background. Watching the streaming version, I would have had no idea who they were if they hadn't been announced as a sponsor.
  6. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:confused:
    But that's not their logo or brand, so what would be the point?

Although I found the logo large and distracting, I'm just thrilled Skate Canada finally found a major title sponsor that signed a multi-year contract.
  7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yes, it's hard not to like them for that. And I'm certainly not going to launch any boycotts or something ridiculous like that.

Plus they're a really appropriate sponsor: I got my first new skates from them (not counting hand-me-downs). :D

But I do think there's a problem when the logo actually interferes with the skating. There were a couple of skaters wearing red costumes who actually got lost in the logo. Not good.
  8. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't notice a thing while watching Kevin Reynolds skate, as well as M-T/M just now. :cool:

Too much crying & whining around, just be lucky they got a sponsor. :p
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I have a friend who makes a living adapting logos for companies, and he's made alternate logos for businesses.

For one thing, I found the logo unreadable, just a big red triangle in the middle of the ice, and one advantage to having an alternative one for the ice is that it would be readable.
  10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not to mention that every skater who skated across the logo - i.e. all of them - got a weird ghostly red hue on their skin as they were passing through.
  11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I also found it hard to read... which made me actually try to read it. So I probably paid more attention to that logo than I would have otherwise. I guess that's a win for Canadian Tire. ;)
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

13. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

I thought it was a strawberry.
  14. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

My husband watched several skaters with me last night and even after the HUGE logo and all the Canadian tire ads, he was like :huh: when I mentioned Canadian tire were sponsoring the event!!!
    Sigh.....
  15. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It's a very well known logo and I would have thought easily recognizable in Canada. It's also prominently displayed in the K&C, center stage. It certainly was hard to miss but as far as actually remembering who sponsored this event it's probably the first time I can answer the question quickly so I'd say Canadian Tire should be happy and Skate Canada got some money.
  16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Skating has such a time finding corporate sponsors these days that I'm always thankful when a company agrees to be a sponsor. I also try to either go to the company's website and use any "contact us" links or find the company on twitter/facebook to give them positive feedback and let them know I appreciate their support. It can never hurt to let a company know their marketing efforts are working!
  17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

No, no, strawberries were for the whole Smuckers/US Nats thing in 2009. They handed out these squishy strawberry thingies. . . I still have mine somewhere. . .
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I do try to support skating sponsors. I got a BMO credit card way back when (don't have an account--I never saw a good reason to get a savings/chequing account at a Big 5 Bank when I get a free savings/chequing account at my local credit union). And I recently got a new car batter at Canadian Tire. I have no idea what to buy at that bracelet store.
  20. overedge

You can buy me a bracelet :saint:
  21. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

This year's US Figure Skating Championships brought to you by Puffs
    That's *Puffs* tissue.
    The brand that skaters trust to blow their snot into before they take the ice. And then stuff into the gloves of their long suffering coaches.
  22. overedge

:rofl:
  23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

People don't realise that skaters keep the tissue industry profitable.