An old article about American skaters' earnings

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by iarispiralllyof, Apr 24, 2013.

1. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

A lot of people have voiced curiosity over the years about skaters' earnings, and while it's evident that in this sport it's impossible to generalize as it varies so much, there was an article from the LA times that came out in late 2011 which did shed a bit of light on what some of the very elite American skaters were making (at least from their federations) during the skating boom in the late 90s vs now. It's a very interesting read, but I came out of it with a few questions

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...em-20111028_1_evan-lysacek-figure-skating-caa

This is an excerpt from page 2 of the article:

The quote specifies that the yearly earnings listed above include not just appearance fees but also "prize money funneled through USFS".

Is all prize money still funneled through USFS? Does that mean USFS takes a percentage?

Also, do the yearly earnings listed above include:
    -Endorsement deals
    -Revenue from touring (Ice shows were very lucrative and commonplace in the late 90's as opposed to now).
    -Miscellaneous

I know the article implies that this is only each skaters' earnings in relation to the USFS (as independent contractors), but since I've heard of some coaches getting a percentage of all of their skaters' earnings including touring, it made me wonder..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. query5

query5 New Member

That the way I took the amount is just what the usfsa, got for the skaters through the USFSAn not what the skater,received,individualy from stated sponsor,tour, appearance,
    Only what the skater received from promoting skate america, pro am sponsored by usfsa, nationals,. World ,gp event , final.
    I thought I remember someone stating they received 75,000 for each of the 6-8events.
    2 gp events, gp final worlds,nationals, 1-2pro am events.