An impressive triple loop.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by krenseby, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Laura Lepisto's triple loop is the best IMO.

2. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Yes, and I love how she just enters it with no pre-rotation at all. The jump just takes right off and has such pop.

3. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Don't forget about Lipinski and her 3loop-3loop combo.

4. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Joannie Rochette's triple loop was gorgeous when it was on. One of her best jumps because of how she just snaps into it.

5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yes, I love how she will transition directly out of the landing into a spiral and then directly into a spin as in her Samson + Delilah program or like in Aranjuez when she lands right on time with the music change and does the one-foot footwork from the landing directly into her spin combination.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I like hers the best.

7. Clay

Clay Active Member

Mojca Kopac

8. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Odd that there is no mention of Ando or Asada with their array of 3+3loop combos. Both also have nice solo 3loops, but I like Miki's the most from her short and long programs this last year with the 3 turns and steps into it.

9. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Kurt Browning's loops often came right out of choreography (as did his other jumps), especially in his earlier professional programs when he was still comfortable with the jumps and had knees that worked.

10. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Actually we see a lot of skaters do it now (Mirai Nagasu and sometimes Ashley Wagner) does it as well, now that steps before a jump are usually rewarded in GOE -- we see it especially in the junior level when the loop is the required solo jump and the 3-turns are the steps before.

11. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I always liked Yuka Sato's 3 loop and 3 salcow.

12. miki88

miki88 New Member

I always liked the placement of the loop in Mao's Fantastie Impromptu LP. It fitted the music quite well.

I also like Mirai's loops when she is on.

13. bartek

bartek New Member

Irina Slutskaya's definitely the best. Difficult entrance, power, height but also kind of grace and elegance to it.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

ITA with Bartek about Irina's triple loop.

Although I liked Yuka's skating overall, her jumps always seemed labored to me.

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Irina's loops definitely. When watching her preparing for loops I can literally feel my heartbeat in the moment! I'll say everything bartek said above yet again endlessly when it comes to triple loop.
    '

16. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

How in the heck does one intentionally skid a loop entrance? Sorry, it makes no sense.

18. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

19. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

By prerotating it, similar to how people skid axels. It's usually just bad technique. I've seen skaters with doubles do it but never skaters with triples. Just wondering if anyone knows of a skater with a triple loop who does it.

20. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Don't most skaters pre-rotate their loop? :confused: It's hard not to.

21. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

Sure, every jump has some prerotation. But I was wondering if anyone knows a (relatively) well-known skater who skids their loop entrance. (skidding = subset of people who prerotate).

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes in her 3Sal/3Loop or 3Toe/3Loop combos ? Tara Lipinski in her 3Loop/3Loop combo ? :confused:

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Matt Savoie immediately came to mind re the men, since his jumps always came out of lovely footwork in beautiful sync with great music. At 4:03 in the below clip (2005 Nats LP) Matt performs a nice triple loop. I'm not sure whether it was his favorite jump though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBL9Z-SZIc&feature=related

Below is the 2005 Nats SP from Matt. As a poster states, it gives chills, and his 4th place showing in this SP is a definite head-scratcher. Although in his above lp, Matt doubled a couple of jumps, I still disagree with Matt coming in 4th behind Evan L., who was sent to his first Worlds that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0

Tom Dickson's choreo and Matt's skating = a revelation.

24. Mafke

Mafke New Member

25. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

neither of them skid their loop entrance.

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

So I don't understand what "skid" means.
    The Loop as second jump in a combo is always pre-rotated. And sometimes, it's pre-rotated by more than half of a turn ! That is the case of Sarah Hughes. ;)

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Skidding has to do with the angle of the blade on the ice right before take-off. On the 2 and 3A you can see ice being kicked off the ice as the blade makes a right angle with the ice when the free leg kicked through. For the loop to have a skid entrance, the take off would have to be similar like a skid spiral, when Robin Cousin does a RBO spiral skidding into a RFI spiral, you can see the skid mark on the ice. The skater would lose all speed for the 2 or 3 loop if he tries a similar skid entrance on it.

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

^^^THIS!

Pre-rotation is not the same as skidding and on the axel and the loop I think the two things are mutually exclusive. I can't see a way to pre-rotate an axel like the other edge jumps - you have to skid it to pre-rotate it.

With any of the salchow or loop you can pre-rotate (by literally turning on the ice) but not by skidding. Checking the markings on the ice will show the edge come around and then the pick mark on the ice being closer to forward or past it, than backwards.

29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I used to skid both my (single) axel and loop takeoffs when I was first learning them. You could tell from the wide shaved mark on the ice as opposed to a clean edge.

I don't skid the loop any more.

I don't try the axel any more. But there was a period when I was skidding it and prerotating it, turned past forward by the time the blade left the ice. I think we have seen that with some triple axels. (Michael Weiss comes to mind.)

30. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Did you find on the loop that it slowed you down too much? I wonder if it would slow you down too much to get any length on the jump or much in the way of flow on the landing.

I find i pre-rotate my loop quite often but i can't imagine skidding it....perhaps because I don't have much speed and if i skidded the take off i'd come to a stand still :rofl: