An 'Ikea' House!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

2. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

Neat idea for a single or a very minimalist couple

3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I like it. But I'm the anti-pack rat.

My only concern is if it could withstand a zombie apocalypse. I'd feel safer if it was capable of floating on water.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Very cool, thanks for posting the link!

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. I have been interested in the small house movement for quite a while now so it is good to see what innovations are out there.

6. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'd like the scale model to add to my dollhouse collection, although it doesn't say what scale the model is.

7. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

think of how much better type of structure this would have been than the trailers that the refugees from Katrina received. Or Haiti victims who received ....not much. My concern would be how they withstand wind

8. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Overall, I like the concept. :)

But for me, not so much...bad knees make loft beds with steep stairs or a ladder out of the question + I have too many books, tapes, records, CDs, etc., for such a tiny space.

9. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Funny that the focus is on reducing the size of the house to reduce housing costs. In most major cities, esp Vancouver, it is the cost of the land that drives the prices beyond the budget of most people.
    This house would be OK as an infill house, or tucked in the back of a large lot, if you could get a building permit.

I agree that it is a really good idea, and could live in such a house, I just don't think it adresses the real issue of housing costs.

10. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I think that the stairs (if that's what they are) look kind of dangerous.

Also, these tiny houses are obviously designed for people with no book collections.

11. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I assume they expect people to either get rid of their books or to have all of them on a Kindle, etc. But for many of us, we love our books, and couldn't afford to repurchase our favorites on an electronic format...even if we wanted to do so.

12. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Is the creator's goal to make housing more affordable, or to make it more eco-friendly, or to make people more minimalist, or what? It's unclear what he's trying to accomplish.

13. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

The description says that the space is 10' x 10' space and that is about 10m^2?? :eek: That is really really tight. I used to live in a studio around 25 m^2 and I felt that was quite small... As someone who grew up a little outside the city center, where the houses often have a backyard, the idea of being crammed in a 10m^2 room for years and years to come is horrifying :scream:

14. Choupette

Choupette Well-Known Member

I would love it, but as a secondary home. Just one thing, I do not see any shower...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  15. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Full size and it's still a doll house!

16. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

He said at the beginning it was to make housing more economically accessible for people. But as JasperBoy pointed out:
    Usually the driving price of homes is the cost of real estate in a particular location. When real estate is at a premium, people lower the cost by building up--high-rise buildings where a lot of people are sharing the cost of minimal real estate. But that's not something that could be done with these homes.

In places where land is fairly cheap, the houses are as well. A friend of mine purchased her home in a rural part of Iowa for under $30,000, no assembly required. For the price of these homes, people could also purchase a manufactured/mobile home. This home is close to the same price as the Nomad homes, but has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, dining room, large kitchen, and a laundry room. The master suite comes equipped with dual vanities, separate bath and showe,r and a walk in closet. The home also comes delivered and assembled, complete with air-conditioning. So in terms of price affordability, there are a lot of options in that current price range that offer people a lot more bang for their buck. Not sure what the incentive would be to go significantly smaller as it wouldn't actually be cheaper.

17. minx

minx New Member

The stairs don't meet any Canadian building code that I know of. We built a 10x10 shed in our back yard a few years ago, insulated and wired for small shop use and it is on piers, because of frost heave. 10x10 is the most we could put up without building permit but we had no restriction on height so it is 12 foot with loft for storage (pull down ladder) . It could be lived in, if you didn't mind the chemical camping toilet and roughed in sink from the garden hose (summer). A portable oil heater keeps it warm enough in the winter. But this cost us around $1500 in materials and we built it ourselves. If we paid someone to do it, it would be $5000 just to pick a generous number of $3500 for a weeks worth of carpenters. Add a sewer connection or septic bed, another $5000. Oh maybe we should drywall it. $1000. That is nowhere close to $30,000. So I agree with agalisgv and Gazpacho and JasperBoy, there are much more affordable ways to build a shack and the founder's message is unclear as to why they're doing this.

18. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

No shower, no closets, stairs that are a disaster waiting to happen, no laundry, no space for a table (apart from the coffee table) and a bed that there is no way to make up unless you are on it at the time (and you would have to crouch while doing it- you couldn't stand up up there) or you could lean over it from the stairs. This is an interesting experiment, but not really "livable", although I suppose it could be used as an overnight guest cottage or something. There are much better "tiny house" designs out there there are a bit roomier and far more livable.