An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:lol: It would require half-way decent carpenter skills. Mine are no where near that level.

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

The film version isn't great.

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I just have to reiterate what Allen said. The movie just isn't that well done, despite an amazing cast.

Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as the monstrosity that was made out of my favorite dystopian novel, Fatherland. I wish someone with a budget would remake it, because it could be amazing. Oh, well.

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I want that bookshelf soooo bad. I'm sending the link to my mom, who was an interior designer. She'll love it.

Brian, I know this is kind of late, but since you were asking about books set in WWII, have you read Maus and Maus II? They're graphic novels, but they're outstanding. They're a quick read, but deep (on so many levels) and just excellent.

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I like the look of that bookcase, but, practically speaking, it wouldn't work for me. All my books have to be in order. Grouped together by subject and then alphabetical by author. And if I have multiple books by one author, in chronological order. Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything.:slinkaway

6. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Oh, good, it's not just me. My very first thought on looking at the photo was "But you'd have to group everything by size! :eek:"

7. rfisher

That shelf is more of a design statement than a working bookshelf. I think the image filled with books is cluttered and messy. I'd leave half of each shelf blank or put something other than a book on alternate shelves. It doesn't look good filled with books. You lose the design element.

Book shelves need to be floor to ceiling with a book ladder. Like a library. I want a library.

Nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Me too. My favorite movie as a kid was Beauty and the Beast, because he gives her a library and I couldn't imagine something more romantic than that.

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

my borders still has a ladder for sale $600

i want it desperately but i have no way of getting it home

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Finished Dissolution this afternoon. It was an enjoyable read, but I think I will get the rest of the series from the library instead of buying them. I'm not yet ready to go back to my stream-of-consciousness epic, so I'm staring at my TBR shelf trying to decide. The front runners are Now, Voyager (the novel the Bette Davis classic was based on) and To Bed with Grand Music (married woman slutting around London while hubby is off fighting in WWII). Decisions, decisions...

11. Prancer

Agreed, which is why I am :confused: that anyone wants it. If I'm going to have a bookcase that big, it WILL hold books. Otherwise it is taking up valuable space that could hold books.

12. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I've long since run out of space on my bookshelves, so in my case, there are piles of books everywhere - by my dining table, stacked up by my bed, etc. and so on.

Part of my bi-weekly entertainment is seeing where my cleaning lady has moved things to and how she has re-arranged the piles. Every once in a while a real gem floats to the top of a pile after Rosa has finished re-organizing everything.

13. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I loved that library too. :swoon:

And agree the Borders bookcase with ladder is a sweet deal but I couldn't take advantage of it either, sigh. RIP. :wuzrobbed

I got about 12 books I think, paltry compared to most of you but enough to keep me occupied for a bit. I should really start posting reviews here, will do so as I go!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

My last apartment had a long hallway which led to the living space. Initially I covered one side with bookshelves. Then the other side. Then I took down pictures in the living room to make room for yet more shelves. Then I got rid of furniture which took up bookshelf space. Bookshelves went up in the bathroom for my junk-reads...In the end, almost every wall was covered with bookshelves. One of my coworkers came over once and was shocked. "Good God, you live in a freakin' library!" :lol:

15. rfisher

Look in the phone book for a local moving company. Most of them will do small moves for a reasonable fee.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

find a band with a van.

17. Prancer

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

My B&N order came today. :) Finished "The Postmistress" already - very good book, but I was really annoyed at the end. The other 6 books are on the shelf waiting to be read. Had a yard sale today and sold a few books for .25 each. I was telling people to 'read more so I can buy more'. :lol:

19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I worked in the (closed) stacks at the NY Public Library, the main research library on 5th Avenue with the lions in front.

As I recall, some of the books were shelved according to subject matter by Library of Congress call numbers, some by an internal numbering system based entirely on size and date of acquisition, and others by a hybrid internal system that was mostly according to size and date but with some division of general subject area.

If it had been done just by subject matter there would have been a lot of wasted space on the shelves.

I wonder how much it's changed in 30 years.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Oh goodness! Anyone have any recommendations of books they see on the $2.99 list? I have no clue what to get but for that price I might as well bite!

21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I took a private stack tour of the library this year; the library had special tours one weekend to celebrate its anniversary.

To answer your question, the library has not changed. The section I toured was organized by the special numbering system and the guide pointed out that it had to do with size.

Loved the tour, by the way; it was a real peek behind the scenes, and, I must confess, the first time I've visited that library even though I've been in NY for almost 40 years.

22. rfisher

The NY Public Library is number two on my list of things to see if I ever get to NY. Right behind the American Museum of Natural History. :swoon:

23. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I'm not surprised that that hasn't changed. I'm guessing that they now have air conditioning and computer catalogs.

When the Temperature/Heat Index got over a certain number, we had the choice of going home with full pay or staying to work at time and a half.

24. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I haven't had time to look through the whole list, but I saw one called Promise Not to Tell that I read and liked. It's a mystery. On the $1.99 list I saw The Last Crossing, which I absolutely loved.

25. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I went with my father who was especially eager for the periodical section...gorgeous building but I keep wondering if we missed something? Both the Yale and Princeton University libraries seemed to have more to see/browse. Weird.

When you do visit, grab a Pret sandwich after and cross the street to Bryant Park to eat. One of my favorite things to do in NYC. :)

26. Prancer

You might want to check out Alibris' 99 cent sale, too: http://www.alibris.com/discount-books?cm_sp=navSales-_-discount-_-na

I can't believe Larsson's The Girl series is already priced that low. It seems like I just shelled out for the hardbacks a month or so ago.

And since I am plugging sales, I will once again plug the piggies at The Cheap for the e-reader owners. While mostly for Nook users (and they are giving away a Simple Touch, if anyone wants to enter), they also have a Kindle page and several Facebook pages by category, including Authors on the Cheap, where writers post about their own books that are on sale, usually in multiple formats.

Teachers and parents might be interested in this deal: http://www.rootmynook.com/2011/09/16/10-credit-at-scholastic-teacher-express-free-ebooks/ Note that those are all downloadable books in PDF, not print, although I believe there are print books on sale as well.

27. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Thanks for the link to The Cheap. Amazon.com does a good job of hiding Kindle books that are cheap.

28. Prancer

I Liked Cheap e-Reads and a couple of their pages on Facebook, as I find it easier to keep up. Some days there is almost nothing, but most days, they post 10-15 books or so, sometimes more. It fills up my feed, but I find it easier to let the book links come to me than I do to check the page to see if there is anything new. :shuffle:

You might find some books here, too: http://www.freekindlebooks.org/

29. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I started Middlesex......someone told me that once they got to America, It would be a can't put down read. I have finally made it to America. Crossing my fingers.

30. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I think you will find that it really picks up at that point. I adore that book. I was fairly bored with it at first, but read the bulk of it in one sitting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.