An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Did you ever see The Canadian Conspiracy? It's a mockumentary from about 1985, about Canada' secret plot to take over the US via the entertainment industry. Hilarious. Last time I checked, the whole think was available on YouTube.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

About to start "Cathedral of the Sea". Just finished rereading "On Thin Ice" (about the Mt. Everest disaster of 1996) and have loaned it to a coworker for her teen son.

Waiting for "The Lady in The Tower" to arrive - book about Anne Boleyn's final days. I've also got "The Night Circus" and "The House at Riverton" (and 10 others) on the shelf to get through. Have decided to skip the Mary Boleyn book until I get some of the stack done... :shuffle:

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Reading Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir. I didn't expect any sparkling, masterful prose but the read is easy and fast. Plus I know I can trust the historical accuracy.

Weir's Lady Jane sounds like a lovely young woman. :(

4. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I may have to look for this, I loved Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air."

5. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:shuffle: Oops - um, that was the real title of it. :slinkaway For some reason, I always call it that.

6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

If you are interested in Lady Jane, I recommoned Eric Ives's "Lady Jane Grey: A Tudor Mystery".

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I totally knew which book you meant. That was a gripping read. But I get the titel confused because his first book was called "Into the Wild". I think "On Thin Ice" is the name of a cheezy Tonya Harding biography :shuffle:

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks! Does Lady Jane make it in this one? :shuffle:

9. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

10. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Finished Lauren Myracle's Shine. Pretty good overall, a worthy YA book. If you're looking for some content related to issues of today, check it out.

11. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

When I went to the airport on Friday, the bookstore wasn't open. So I downloaded Cold Vengeance onto my iPad, and so far, it's pretty good.

But I don't know how you people read multiple books on that thing. I find it annoying. I was waiting for the addiction to kick in, but I have resisted so far. :p

12. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Rats! I was about to go on a new hunt.

I've heard there's another book about the disaster from the point of view of one of the women who comes off really badly in Krakauer's version -- was there a woman in the media? I'd be curious to read that if it indeed exists.

I hated Into the Wild, both book and movie. I mean, I loved reading/watching them, and they were excellent on an objective level. I just can't get on board with glorifying someone who chose to cut himself off from his parents like that. Just cruel.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PrincessLeppard

Ooh, did the socialite write a book? Sandy.....something. Though in a documentary I watched, she cops to behaving a lot like Jon Krakauer said she did.

14. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Got an e-mail from Amazon today saying that they have shipped my copy of the new Flavia DeLuce mystery! Can't wait! :)

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

buah ha ha ha!

i need to figure out what my new book store is going to be. well, default i assume it will be b & n, the question is which location will get on my nerves the least.

16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

There is a book. It's called "The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest" by Anatoli Boukreev. He comes off very bad in the Krakauer book. Bourkreev died a few years after Everest.

Finished "Cathedral of the Sea." I now know more about Barcelona's famous church than I ever thought I would.

Ordered "Lionheart." It comes on Saturday.

I'm now deep into "The Lady in The Tower." It's a very annotated book, I'm getting amused counting the footnote numbers. Weir is totally not a fan of Thomas Cromwell.

After this, I want something light to read! People in my books keep dying! :slinkaway

17. PrincessLeppard

His book is good as well. However, he made some dumb decisions as well, imo. Shouldn't have been climbing without oxygen while leading a group. On your own? Fine. When people's lives are depending on you? Not so much.

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Number 4 out already? Wow, that was fast!

I loved #1, was hugely disappointed in #2, and thought #3 was pretty good. Off to put may name in the library queue for #4 ... thanks for the heads up!

19. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I'm reading Stephanie Perkins' latest novel, Lola and the Boy Next Door. It's a young adult novel. I started reading because I loved her first book, Anna and the French Kiss. I'm a little over 100 pages in and so far, I like this book but I don't love it like I did the previous novel. I can't help but to compare the two books and Lola is less likeable and more annoying than Anna. Anna had a genuineness that Lola lacks (probably because Lola is so concerned with looking as "unique" [i.e. weird] as possible :rolleyes:). She seems more shallow and way too concerned with what other people think of her. Plus, Anna appears in this novel so I can't help but to compare Lola to her!

Plus, it's a bit more predictable. I can already tell that Lola's bf, Max, is going to end up being an asshat. This will make it easier for Lola to leave him and be with her true love, Cricket. In all fairness, I do like Cricket, flat character that he is.

Perkins does a great job of describing the ambiance of San Francisco though. The novel is readable but compared to the first novel, I am not as impressed. I hope this changes as I progress into the book.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

When he said he left the group to go make 'sherpa tea', he sort of blew all credibility. :wall: He may have saved lives after he woke up and discovered the expedition went to all kinds of frozen hell, but his actions leading up to it were mind boggling.

21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Finished Linda Howard's latest romantic suspense: Prey. She'd be a lot better if there was more suspense in most of her books. This one had an interesting premise that she could have done a lot with, but she wastes page after page telling the reader how much confusion the girl has regarding the guy. This story had a killer and a man-eating bear, but they were given short shrift. We got to read several pages of the killer explaining his reasons for why he had to kill someone rather than creating a real menace. I mean, a man-eating bear should generate excitement, adrenaline, page-turning to see who it eats next, but, alas. I swear I'm never buying another one of her books and then that little flicker of hope springs eternal. At least I finished it instead of reading the first paragraph and tossing the book into the give to the library pile like 99% of the others waiting to be read. Sigh.

22. PrincessLeppard

I just finished a preview copy of The Predicteds by Christine Seifert. It's a YA novel, and quite good. Scientists have invented a test that can predict which kids will go bad and one school releases the list.

I wonder how long the book has been in the pipeline, though. A couple references to Myspace and the Jonas Brothers that probably need to be edited out. Other than that, I enjoyed the book.

23. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm 2/3rds of the way through His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. I took a week (of bedtimes) to read The Golden Compass. I've seen the movie, so I mostly knew where the plot was going.

It took two days (reading every chance I got) to finish The Subtle Knife, and now I'm about to read The Amber Spyglass, but I'm a bit afraid that I might read through the night to finish it, and I have to work tomorrow.

Some of the best page turning fiction I've read recently has been shelved in the YA section.

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wonder what she thought of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. :) But I think that's generally considered rather . . . is revisionist the word I want? (And Mantel in turn is totally not a fan of Thomas More.) Still, it was a pretty absorbing read and I'll get the sequel when it comes out.

25. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

If you disapprove of her view, it's revisionist.

If you approve, it's a fresh perspective.

26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol: Oh, so that's how it works.

27. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm almost finished with Jennifer Crusie's "Maybe This Time." It's way more paranormal than I generally expect from her but I've liked it. The kids seem a little too much Addams Family and I like Southie more than North but it's been a decent read.

I have the second of three Jack Higgins' iternational intrigues going in the car; even if they're nearly 20 years old, I'm still liking them. It certainly makes being stuck in traffic a lot easier.

28. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Boukreev was a guide on one of the other expeditions. Krakauer accused him of putting his own ambitions over the safety of the others.

What I found interesting/alarming about these Everest expeditions is that these were mostly people in their 40's/50's putting their lives into the guides hands for $60K, not expert mountaineers.

29. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Looking forward to Sue Grafton's "V is for Vengeance" new release on 11-14!

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Just finished E. L. Konigsburg's "The View from Saturday." dd was supposed to read it for her extracurricular "book jam" but failed in her literary duty, so I stole the book and read it myself--having read and enjoyed several E. L. Konigsburgs in my childhood. Great book, and I loved the way she structured it. All about an academic bowl and the teacher who heads up the four 6th graders who take part, and their friendships with each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.