An Evening with Scott Hamilton & Friends (Nov. 6 in Cleveland)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

http://www.scottcares.org/Events/2010GalaampIceShow.aspx

Special musical guest is Vince Gill.
  2. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I have my ticket. :)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Wish we lived near Cleveland to attend this. For everyone going, have a wonderful time supporting a worthy cause, and please post reports. :encore:
  5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I would love to do this someday.
  6. mmscfdcsu

What a great show! The best exhibition show that I have seen in many years. Although it is not my kind of music, it was fine. Singing on key, good breath control, etc. No headache for me tonight.

Most important...Scott looked great. He was on skates but did not skate a number. He was the emcee and did a wonderful job. His wife, inlaws and friends, family were just a few rows in front of me and I had fun watching Scott interact with them when he wasn't on the ice or backstage. At the very end, he carried youngest kid around the ice. Then he did a cute thing with Dorothy Hamill. I don't know what you call it, but we all did it for fun when we were learning to skate. Facing each other holding hands and pulling together into a tight spin. LOL

Music was Vince Gill :confused: He was fine. Nice voice. He kept making jokes about not knowing that skaters were actually going to skate while he was singing. Said he had never been ignored by so many people at one time.
    Scott also brought out two surprise musical guests. (Well, it was a surprise to me at least). Brad Paisley and Sheryl Crowe. Each did a number. Scott also announced that this Sheryl Crowe will be the musical talent for next years show. Paisley and wife were sitting a few rows ahead of me for most of the show. His wife looked really familiar.

All of the skating was to the live music. No canned Pop/Rock etc. One of the frustrations for me was that there was no introduction of the songs or the skaters, except for a couple of songs that Vince Gill introduced. No list of songs and skaters was provided with the printed program. It was kind of funny listening to the people in the row behind me guessing who each skater was.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  7. hirshey girl

hirshey girl New Member

First, it sounds like it was a fun show! I would've loved to been there. And Brad Paisley's wife is Kimberly Williams, an actress. Her best known film was "Father of the Bride" with Steve Martin.
    mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  8. mmscfdcsu

Thank you! :encore: That's who she is. It was fun, and emotional. One of the short sides of the arena was blocked off for Gill and his band. The other three sides were pretty well filled through the second level. The upper sections were curtained off. Of course the on ice seats were for the bigwigs from the Cleveland Clinic and the sponsors who are attending the fancy dinner right now. There was also a section for researchers from the clinic and a section of cancer survivors who are volunteers in the program that Scott started.

The printed program has a color cover featuring individual small publicity shots of Scott, Dorothy, Evan, Sasha, Mike Weiss, Caryn Kadavy and Steven Cousins. There are also small black and white photos of the skaters and brief blurbs about them inside of the program. Most of the content is about the Cleveland Clinic, donor info, etc. However...if anyone wants a copy of the program for any reason, send me a pm. There were stacks of them left over and I was told to grab some if I wanted when I asked about this as I was leaving the show. I have seven to give away.
  9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the report.
    This show. and the charity it supports, is a wonderful thing.
    Bless you, Scott!
  10. mmscfdcsu

A few notes on the skating. Be warned, I am a lousy reporter, and as previously mentioned, for the most part I do not know the names of any of the songs.

The show started with Scott skating out center ice, mike in hand, to a huge standing ovation.

First skater was Christina Gao. Vince Gill mentioned that she had just gotten in as she had been taking her SAT's this morning. She skated to The Next Best Thing.

Dan Hollender skating to some fast music, and wearing a large cowboy hat throughout. Double axel, triple something, fast tricky footwork and then a back flip at each end of the ice.

I think Denis and Melissa skated to "The Reason Why". Slow music, much emoting. Very nice number.

Ryan Bradley skating to Sweet Thing. Very high triple axel attempt, not quite landed. Looked like a one foot back flip. Some crazy hard footwork and much mugging for the audience.

Up next was the first brief video of the night. Scott hung out with his son for a few minutes.

Mike Weiss skated to fast, upbeat Vince Gill. I think I saw two triple toes along with a triple flip, and some break dancing/gymnastic moves.

Caryn Kadavy was absolutely lovely. Slow, flowing number

Todd skated next. Triple toe, double axel, Russian splits and lots of very fast spins, including a beautiful back spin.

Kerrs! I never got them over youtube. In person, they are wonderful. Fast, funny cowboy type of number. She was wearing short short denim pants covered with sequins. along with midriff baring halter type top. Both managed to wear cowboy hats throughout most of the number. Very well done. Really connected with the audience.

At this point, Scott surprised the crowd by introducing Brad Paisley. He did a beautiful slow number. Steven Cousins skated to it. I don't really remember much about the program though.

There were a couple more videos about the clinic mixed in with more vocals from Vince Gill. This was very well paced. SOmetimes the video segments really dragged in previous years. Scott pulled out cell phone and encouraged us all to text in a $10.00 contribution Text CARES to 27722 ;)

Sasha was lovely. Her basic skating skills have improved so much. No longer choppy. Highlights were light double axel, triple salchow and Sasha Spiraltm, I think she skated to "I still believe in you." Don't know if that was the title but those lyrics were repeated a lot in the song.

Evan skated in black pants and what looked like a long sleeved leotard top. He landed triple flip and lutz.

No introduction needed for Dorothy Hamill. Standing ovation as soon as the lights found her. Damn she was lovely. Most incredible spin of the night. A beautiful layback. She also did a split jump and running footwork on her toes mixed in with lots of threes and edges.

http://yfrog.com/6bq77zj
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks for your report. Good luck to Christina Gao on her SAT's!

The weird thing about Sasha is that her basics and edging looked so improved during the shows in the pre-Oly season. She had nice flow and speed and I was so encouraged. Then came Nationals and back came the scratchy slow Sasha. I still haven't watched the LP :scream:

I wonder how it is possible to revert to inferior basics at competitions and have nice ones in shows. :confused:
  12. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I posted this yesterday but I can't remember where :duh:. A coworker of my husband is staying at the Ritz in Cleveland this weekend because she is going to the football game. She had no idea that there is a big skate show in town. Yesterday morning she posted on Facebook that she was having breakfast with Sacha(sic) Cohen and later she posted a picture of herself with Scott! She was doing some excellent lobby chicking for someone who isn't a skating fan. :lol:

About Vince Gill. I'm not a country music fan but everyone in my family loves it so I have learned things by osmosis. I have seen Vince in concert. He is an extremely talented musician and has a very charming stage persona.

Thanks for the reports. I wish I could have been there.
  13. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Thanks for the great reports!!! You know I always wondered if Brad Paisley would ever be the musical guest for Scott's show because I've read that they are very good friends (and I believe neighbors in Nashville). Sounds like it was a fabulous night!!
  14. paskatefan

Thank you so much! :encore:
  15. mmscfdcsu

You are most welcome. You should have been there. Best show in years. Usually, at an exhibition or touring show I'm looking at my watch after 20 minutes and wishing it was time to leave. Last night's show ended way too soon! Some guy in the row behind me expressed it well when he said something along the lines of "Awww, why are they stopping now?"
    It was an older crowd. Not even as many of the local skater kids in the audience as I would have expected. It did show that there is still an audience out there for a quality show. I hope someday we will get away from the McSkating type of junk food show. Enough with the generic pop. "Rant over"
  16. paskatefan

Well, I wish we lived closer to Cleveland for this one. It would have been a 7 hour drive, at least. Too bad that Scott doesn't do DVDs of this show. I would buy one in a heartbeat, and it would be a fundraiser for this foundation.
  17. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Will this show make it to tv?

Glad to hear that Gregory/Pethukov are skating shows. I wanted them on SOI.
  18. mmscfdcsu

No. It is just for those who attended. :(
  19. PAskate

PAskate New Member

It's never televised. Thankfully I've been lucky enough to go to 8 of the 11 shows including last night. I always really enjoy the skating here - beats SOI and COI and it's a bargain in comparison. The only sad part is that you'd love to see multiple numbers from each performer. There' are always group opening and closing numbers, but just one spot per guest skater.
  20. mmscfdcsu

ITA. Much better than SOI, even with so many older skaters. What were your impressions of last night's show?
  21. PAskate

PAskate New Member

I really enjoyed it including the music which surprised me since I'm not a country fan. I always enjoy the skating since you usually see some people that you don't always get a chance to see. This time it was Dorothy, the Kerrs, and Dan Hollander (haven't seen him in ages).
  22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too.
  23. seabm7

seabm7 Member

I think Sasha got exhausted from overtraining right before the National. I wish she had started her preparation for the olympic much earlier and slower.
  24. mmscfdcsu