An Evening With Champions-October 15th and 16th

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Aug 15, 2011.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Shaia

Shaia Active Member

Yuna at Harvard!! WOW!

3. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Are Protopopovs still skating? :eek:
    It will be wonderful to see them perform, but I'd hate to imagine what would happen if they fall on a lift or something.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

a double post

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Is this for real?

6. sk9tingfan

Yes. Sarah and Drew will have an updated blog this morning per Twitter

SarahandDrew
    Yuna Kim will headline An Evening with Champions in Boston Oct. 15-16. Lots more news in our blog, due out this morning on

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The site linked above also indicates that Maia Shibutani got a $1,000 scholarship from USFSA and she donated the money to the Jimmy Fund on behalf of an Evening with Champions. :respec: for Maia!

8. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

it's nice to see Yuna skating outside of ATS for once. I wonder what will be her 2 exhibitions or maybe she will debut her SP (assuming she will compete next season).. :D

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How wonderful for one of the most respected of all benefit shows,
    I don't think they'll lack for attendance this year!

10. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

This is a really good cast....good to see Shawn Sawyer's name listed as well!

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

OMG, the Propotopovs???!!! AND my beloved Shibs? AND Yu-Na? I need my smelling salts...this is too exciting!

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Ooh, that sounds like a good show!

Hear, hear! :respec:

13. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Tickets are on sale now. Great cast. I just purchased mine.

14. skatesindreams

Yes, from the cast list:

15. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I've never been into show skating too much, but would kill to attend this one.

I hope Yuna makes a good impression to Ludmila and Oleg, and invite them for her shows next year. Her fans need to see what a classic elegance on ice really is. :swoon:

16. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

We watched them practicing at Lake Placid a few weeks ago. They still have it.

17. Shaia

Shaia Active Member

Heh, sorry, but no thank you. No offense, but I would rather watch a 16-year old Krystal in mini-skirt perform to Carmen than watch a skater who performed in the 1960's (I just looked them up and Mr. Protopopov is now 79 years old!!).

If they can still skate though, that is absolutely awesome :)

18. skatesindreams

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

that's kinda rude :slinkaway Still, they're oly champions-multiple-, and their being is the history of FS.

This could be the answer you're looking for.

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Wow they still skate darn good! the lifts are surprising at the same time amazing. thanks for the link.

21. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Though I'm a fan of Yuna's competitive skating, I frankly think her shows and some of her routines in them are cringeworthy. :slinkaway

At the same time, good for Yuna for making tons of money and good for her fans having lots of fun. :)

22. Shaia

Shaia Active Member

Saw the video. That is quite amazing...

Sorry if my statement was rude, but I was reacting to one particular statement, which I still find very condescending.

23. sk9tingfan

No need to slink away. I quite agree with you. I went to Festa on Ice in 2009 and was underwhelmed by her skating over a three night period. That's in direct contrast to my assessment of what she does in competition(I'm a huge fan), i.e. The Olympics, etc. She has a tendency to come off somewhat flat in exhibitions

I couldn't help but compare her performance with that of Michelle Kwan, the first time Michelle skated in All That Skate the summer of 2009. While YuNa's program content might have been marginally more difficult than Michelle, from an artistry standpoint, Michelle blew her out of the water!

24. sk9tingfan

25. Shaia

Shaia Active Member

Tendency to come off somewhat flat in exhibitions??! LOL. Hello, did you even see ATS Summer show that just went on?

Yuna brings more artistry, flare, style and passion to her exhibition than any other contemporary female skater, and since you brought up the comparison, I will note that I saw Michelle in person at ATS summer 2010 twice (where Michelle and Yuna even performed the Hero duet), and while Michelle was good, Yuna was better.

26. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  27. sk9tingfan

My experience was more than two years ago. I haven't had the time to watch the videos associated with the latest show. I'll grant that she probalby has evolved and matured.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I slunked away, (do I have the english right? :lol:) because I know some Yuna fans have hard time digesting constructive criticisms.

I actually have plenty of criticisms for Yuna's shows and her show skating, but I will save them for latter opportunities since I don't wish to hijack this thread any further.

Any how, forthcoming show looks great and I hope everyone attending get to see lots of great skating.

29. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

jezuz Shaia... i think even Yuna would admit that some of her exhibitions are cheesy... :lol: One of her recent interviews she said that Meditation De Thais is her favorite ex..so.. i do hope she will do more of this than skating to pop songs..

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I have been trying for YEARS to get my MIL to go to this (she's about a 3-hr drive from Boston), but health problems have intervened. I'm pushing it this year now that she's doing pretty well!! Plus she totally loves "artsy" skaters like Shawn Sawyer.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.