"An Evening on Ice" fundraising benefit show, July 21, 2012 in El Segundo, California

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

The second "An Evening On Ice" show, a special one day only fundraising effort for the US Athletic Foundation and LA Ice Theater, will take place on Saturday, July 21, 2012, at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo, California. There will be 2 shows this year - at 2 pm and 7:30 pm.

The 2012 cast of performers and ticket info: http://www.usathleticfoundation.org/events.html

Joannie Rochette
    Kimmie Meissner
    Alissa Czisny
    Rachael Flatt
    Adam Rippon
    Caydee Denney & John Coughlin
    Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker
    Derrick Delmore
    Richard Dornbush
    Chelsea Liu & Devin Perini (U.S. Novice Pairs Champions)
    Nicholas LaRoche (US Athletic Foundation co-founder with his sister)
    Alexe Gilles
    Courtney Hicks
    Douglas Razzano
    Leah Keiser
    Grant Hochstein
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin
    Team Fusion
    Sean Rabbitt

ETA: Braden Overett reportedly will be emceeing the show.

If you can't make the show in person, please consider making a donation to this worthy cause: http://www.usathleticfoundation.org/donations.html
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. Sylvia

Are any FSUers going to this?
  3. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I'm going.
  4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I hope I can make it! Time to ask my parents to babysit the baby :rofl:
  5. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'll be there! It was a great show last year!
  6. Sylvia

:cheer: for the fans attending! :)

Update at the end of Sarah and Drew's "Inside Edge" blog today (July 5):
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. TanithandBenFan

:cheer2: I love Alex's skating!!!! I've never had the chance to see him perform in a show before.
  8. TanithandBenFan

Follow the show on Twitter! They're giving away lots of prizes and have more fun surprises in the works!
  9. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

https://www.facebook.com/FreeTicketGiveawayToAnEveningOnIce

Enter to win 1 free evening general admission ticket & a special surprise ;-)
    Description
    To enter:
    1. Upload a skating image or your face picture to the Facebook page (link above)
    2. Get as many “Likes” on your image
    The image that gets the most “Likes” wins

Contest ends on Monday, July 16 at 12:00pm.
    Winners will be announced at 1:00pm.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

11. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Curious as to why Jeremy's mother, Allison Scott, is participating/helping in the show. Was Jeremy initially signed up for the show? He is in Japan that same weekend....
  12. Sylvia

No, he wasn't. AFAIK she's donating her time to help out old friends.
  13. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Reminder: The US Athletic Foundation’s second annual show, “An Evening on Ice,”
    is set for this Saturday, July 21 at the Toyota Sports Center in El
    Segundo, CA. A limited number of tickets are still available, but are going fast.

Two performances are scheduled: 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. General admission
    tickets are $35 for the afternoon show and $45 for the evening show.

VIP tickets with priority seating are available for $80 (2 p.m.) and
    $105 (7:30 p.m.; this ticket also includes admission to the post-show
    meet-and-greet). Tickets can be purchased from the US Athletic
    Foundation’s website (usathleticfoundation.org).

The goal of the US Athletic Foundation, which was created by Nicholas
    LaRoche and his sister Tricia, in memory of their late mother,
    Bernadette, is to fund figure skaters who face financial hardship
    while pursuing their dreams, a situation Nicholas LaRoche had to
    navigate throughout his career and would not have been able to conquer
    if not for the love and support of his mother and sister.

For more information about US Athletic Foundation go to
    www.usathleticfoundation.org.
  14. TanithandBenFan

15. AnnMJensen

AnnMJensen New Member

I have had my VIP tickets for AGES. I was sick for last years show, but I am so looking forward to this year!!!:D
  16. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

I'm going to the 2:00 show.
  17. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

Just got back from the afternoon show. Good times even though I got there late because I underestimated L.A. traffic.

Adam Rippon was unrecognizable to me because he has cut off all his hair.

Ricky Dornbush and Sean Rabbit were by far the crowd's favorites, judging by the enthusiastic applause.

No Denney/Coughlin. Instead, we got Lindsay Davis and Mark Ladwig.

Braden Overett was the (terrific) emcee, but he also did a very funny "serious, lyrical, you broke my heart" skate directed at a teddy bear. Also a big crowd-pleaser.

I'll write more comments when I have time.
  18. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

I also just got home from the 2:00 show.

First impressions:

Joannie Rochette needs to come back.

Lots of falls, but that's to be expected this early. Rachael, Leah, Joannie and Kimmee skated clean. Joannie and Kimmee had the best speed and ice coverage. Rachael looked like she was having the most fun.

I like Adam's new cut.

More later...
  19. TanithandBenFan

My photos and videos from the show - Adam Rippon, Ricky Dornbush, Braden Overett, Kimmie Meissner, Alex Johnson, and Mark Ladwig/Lindsay Davis

Will post a detailed report of the performances later!
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the videos!

:lol: at Braden Overett's performance.
  21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Your report makes me crave for Kimmie's return as well as Joannie's. Has Kimmie completely given up on amateur competitions?
  22. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Thanks for getting Mark/Lindsay on video -- I'm thrilled to see a couple use this song for an exhibition this season!
  23. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

My comments on the afternoon show:

I got there late, so I arrived in the middle of Alex Johnson's skate. He has great hair? That's about all I've got for him.

Leah Keiser has a lovely layback/Biellmann. I forgot to write down her music.

Derrick Delmore skated to "Apologize" by OneRepublic and landed some nice 3Ss. He is now sporting a mohawk for a haircut.

Sean Rabbitt is quickly becoming one of my favorite male skaters. He has this old-timey look and charm that make me think of "Newsies," and is a natural performer. He skated to "Wilkommen" from Cabaret and landed 2A and 3T. Hope he makes it to Nationals this season!

Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin skated to "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge. I think the music was bigger than what they're capable of projecting, but they seem very happy together. Tiffany went down on the 3LoTh attempt.

Bebe Liang skated a charming number to "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson, showcasing some wonderful spins.

Nick LaRoche skated to "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Jumps still get huge air! I think he and Derrick Delmore are visiting the same salon - Nick also has a mohawk.

Rachael Flatt skated to "Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguilera. She landed a 3Lo but was noticeably slowww throughout.

In the second half of the show, Braden Overett took a break from emceeing (which he was really good at) to skate a comedic number of romantic sturm und drang to a teddy bear. I don't think he's lost any of his skills - great 2A, 3T, spread eagle, terrific spins.

Lindsay Davis & Mark Ladwig skated to "Just Too Close" by Alex Clare. I know it's just July, and this was an exhibition, but judging by their performance, they've got plenty of work ahead of them to get in shape for NHK. Their twist and lift were quite labored. On the other hand, Lindsay almost landed a nice 3STh.

Adam Rippon skated to "Cinema" by Benny Benassi and landed a Rippon lutz and a 3F. He was almost unrecognizable to me with his haircut AND skating to dance music.

Alexe Gilles skated to "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" by Amy Winehouse (I think?). She landed 3Lo and 3T but fell on 3S.

Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker skated to "What a Wonderful World" and "La Vie en Rose" by Louis Armstrong. Crowd ooh-ed at the double twist. I think this program will grow in effectiveness as Mary Beth matures. Between this and their new LP, they seem to be developing a soft, romantic quality as a pair. MB went down on the 3LzTh.

Doug Razzano skated to "Love the Way You Lie" by Colton Dixon (is Doug an American Idol fan?!) with a beautiful spread eagle.

Kimmie Meissner skated to some indie-ish GFB.

Ricky Dornbush skated a very funny exhib to a medley of "Let's Get It On" and "Stayin' Alive" in character as a nerd. He also landed a big triple axel right in front of the audience and went on to do a nice 3L and a three-2A sequence. This program also contained a circular footwork sequence and a bunch of spins.

Joannie Rochette skated to "Show Me How You Burlesque" by Christina Aguilera using a cane as a prop. Her time as a pro showed in the overall crispness of her performance. There were a couple of moments where you could tell she was holding back in terms of sheer power and ice coverage - her skating skills are too good for a reduced-size rink.

The finale began with a local dance troupe called Cosmic dancing in the front of the bleachers. Then the skaters all came out and did their thing as they were announced.

Fun show!

My videos:

Davis/Ladwig
    http://youtu.be/NSOUfSaprGo

Marley/Brubaker
    http://youtu.be/wjhfambKZpo

Ricky Dornbush
    http://youtu.be/D4a8I2zJsiE
  24. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

legjumper, thank you for vids and sharing your impressions!!
  25. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your report and the videos. Ricky's skate was funny and very entertaining, and that nerdy costume, loved it!
  26. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Kimmee did a double Axel. That's all. Speed and power still there, just no jumps.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  27. McWicked

McWicked New Member

As long as she still has her power and speed she still can gain her jumps back!!! C'mon, Kimmie, come back!!!!:dog:
  28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh, legjumper, I really appreciate your point-to-point detailed report, plus the videos!
  29. Sylvia

30. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

As much as I adore Kimmie, AFAIK she's not returning to competition.
  31. Doubletoe

To my surprise, I thought Alex Johnson was the best thing about this show! I had never heard of him, but was really impressed by his gorgeous choreography and movement. Joannie was fabulous as well, and Ricky Dornbush proved that he could land a 3A under spotlight while in character (just don't ask him to do it when there's a national championship on the line?). I agree that Sean Rabbitt is becoming quite the performer, too. Good for him! I sure hope Adam Rippon's haircut gives him the look he needs for his competitive programs because I really missed his beautiful curls. . . :(

Just like last year, it made me sad to watch Kimmie Meissner because--try as I might--I could not detect even a shred of evidence that she was once a world champion. She barely landed a 2A, her only other jump was a 2T, her spins were less impressive than most of the girls I see at the rink who are Intermediate level or higher, and her artistry/expression was forgettable. :slinkaway
  32. TanithandBenFan

33. Sylvia

34. Doubletoe

Thanks, Sylvia! That's great, LOL!
  35. gofigure

gofigure Active Member