An APB for Tinami and Tinami types: Need info on what to see and do in Prague

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jayar, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Have a dear friend who wants to visit Prague, but is perplexed as to what to do once she gets there. She has researched it to death, but can't find anything on what is 'off the beaten path'. Can anyone help?

2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm not sure if it's still there, but at one time there was a Museum of Medieval Torture very close to the Charles Bridge (Karlov Most) which was quite interesting.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What's her motivation for wanting to visit Prague in the first place?

5. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

She and her husband want to start exploring central Europe, and think that this is a great place to start. She spent most of her free time this weekend doing preliminary planning, and she said that aside from five main places that every website told her to see, that there wasn't much more information. She would explain what she wants to see and do better than I can, but I just told her that I would ask the experts. This crowd has always been a great resource for travelers.

6. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Jayar, sorry.. I have not been to Praha after 2005, and the link lists all the best I could think of then and now as well.

The only other attraction I can think of given I am in a holiday mood, which will require a trip out of Praha, is a trip to local spa town of Karlovy Vary - the local "Bath" or "Baden-Baden" equivalent. Lovely town, wonder mineral water spas..... I recommend 2-3 days.

http://www.myczechrepublic.com/karlovy-vary/

http://www.myczechrepublic.com/sightseeing_tours/karlovy-vary-tour.html

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Stay away from the windows. :shuffle:

8. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I was just there two months ago. We didn't find really significant off-the-beaten-path places ourselves, but it's a lovely city. (Like a lot of other people, I imagine, we joked that every Disney animator had to visit Prague as part of his/her orientation. It's the ur-fairy-taly city.)

We did stumble on this little museum and enjoyed it: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/czech-republic/prague/review-159716.html

Tell her to beware of the places that charge for the salt and pepper shakers on the table. :lol:

If she needs a place to stay, the Unitas Hotel was lovely, convenient and very reasonably-priced.

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

We were there about 9 years ago. We stayed in a lovely Art Deco hotel, called The Hotel Paris. It was very reasonable, and was going through renovation at the time. The room we stayed in was wonderful. The only drawback was that there was some construction noise, during the day, from the areas not yet completed. I'm sure it's finished now :). It's in the Old Town and a great location.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Concierges can be a great help if you are staying at a better or larger hotel. Once you've booked, you can usually get in touch by email, and if you are specific about what you are looking for, they can usually make all kinds of recommendations that are known only to locals or off the beaten path. They would also have the latest on shows/exhibitions/festivals, what might be closed, what might be so new it's not in any guidebook yet.

Good concierges can also go way beyond theatre tickets and dinner reservations, arranging private tours, backstage or off hours access to museums and shops, opportunities to meet artists/designers, special classes, etc.

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Oooh, PRlady -- I loved Mucha ads when I was back in college. I'd go to that museum just to revisit them. But charging for salt and pepper shakers? Were you swiping them?