Amy Winehouse found dead

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jackie Sparrow, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

2. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. :(
  3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

DA FAK????

Oh no...
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Not the greatest shock considering, but :eek: and :(

So sad it came to this.
  5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Oh my God. :( So sad.
  6. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Although it really isn't shocking, it's still so sad.:(
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

despite being such a mess, she was incredibly talented. RIP :(

and if rock and roll has taught us anything, it's that 27 is a dangerous age for stars with substance abuse issues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
  8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

All the good ones go at 27-- Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain.... Crazy.
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Was just listening to You Know I Am No Good yesterday, thinking what a great talent she is (was). Not entirely unexpected but sad.
  10. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

So sad, so young and talented :(
  11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

What a shame. She was incredibly talented. How many young and gifted people do we have to lose to drugs and alcohol? It is such a shame that those, with similar problems, will not see this as their possible future, unless they get help. Her poor parents, apparently her father doesn't know, he's en route to the US for a music festival.
  12. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Not surprising, unfortunately. :(

RIP.
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Her mother supposedly said in 2008:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ad--Found-dead-London-flat.html#ixzz1SwsH3zS6 Is Daily Mail a tabloid?
  14. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Ah geez, well sometimes addiction is too strong for people to overcome and much of time, that can be a fatal condition. RIP Amy.
  15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

So awful. I, like many others, am not surprised but it is sad none the less.
  16. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It's not surprising - I think I always knew it would happen sooner or later. It's such a shame, she had such a talent and there was a new album in the works.

The thing about addiction is that it never really ends, and unfortunately it beat her :(
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What a waste. How tragic.
  18. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

19. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Very sad. A waste of talent for sure. RIP
  20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Considering Heath Ledger didn't die from abusing drugs and alcohol but an accidental medical reaction, mentioning him (and if she means Murphy, not Spears, that was also not a case of an addict OD'ing, her as well) seems a little tacky if the mother did say that. They weren't out deliberately trying to destroy themselves.

Suffice to say, I doubt any of the wire services actually had to write an obit and just had one on standby. No surprise to anyone. What a complete waste of talent.
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I don't know about the type of stories it covers. If I did, I wouldn't ask, would I? ;)
  22. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

What a sad ending - such a shame that she couldn't be saved from her addictions :(
  23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

The mom's quote is from 2008, while Britney was at the height (nadir?) of her downward spiral, so I think it was a fair assumption at that point that Spears might not make it. Brittany Murphy was still alive.
  24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think Winehouse was an accident as well. Addicts are destroying themselves, but that is not the deliberate goal. They simply cannot stop and usually don't believe that they will actually die. I can't speak to Brittany Murphy, I don't know if she had a problem with drugs or alcohol. However, Heath Ledger, most likely, did. He was not just using prescribed meds, he was using other, very dangerous recreational drugs, as well.
  25. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Well, you somehow managed to find a link the paper itself. ;)
  26. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

It's initially shocking... and then not. Still, you don't REALLY think it's going to happen.

I met her a few times in 2008; I used to live in Camden (where she lived) literally two streets down from her. We used to drink in the same pub, so I'd seen her many times; it was right around the time of "Back to Black". The time which sticks out to me most was one weekday afternoon; she was literally stumbling around the place in a pair of TINY denim hot pants, mumbling to herself. She came up to me and told me I had wicked hair (at the time I had a blond mohican) and then just walked behind the bar and helped herself to a drink. She was barefoot and looked like she hadn't washed in about a week. Of course, at the time it was AMAZING. I remember telling all my mates that "Amy Winehouse thinks I have amazing hair" :lol: Now I look back, it was a sad, sad sight... (her, not my hair.)

RIP Amy - what a wasted talent.
  27. floskate

floskate Vacant

Complete waste of a life and such incredible talent. But the saddest thing is that this was so utterly predictable. :(
  28. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

29. shah

shah Well-Known Member

she was supposed to have a concert in Poland next Saturday, before the whole tour was cancelled...and I was going to see her live...
    I expected such news, but deep inside I had a little hope that she would overcome her addiction(s)...
    :(:(:(
  30. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

She probably Googled the story and it was one of the first links. At least that's how I found Daily Mail a few years ago.

I have no problem admitting I read it regularly. It's my "Don't have to think/read simple stories with lots of pictures" when I'm eating my breakfast. Not interesting in gossip so much, but they do have quite a few interesting news stories usually. Of course they try to pretend they're not a tabloid quite a bit, which makes me chuckle.

Anyway, I saw the news about Amy Winehouse on FSU. I have no patience for hardcore addicts but nevertheless it's a very sad story. R.I.P.
  31. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That is seriously weird. And sad. R.I.P.

(Now I think of it, my favorite cousin also died at 27. Heart attack. I have a minor heart issue or two myself, and for a while I had a sort of superstitious fear that I wasn't going to make it past the age that she did!)
  32. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

:(:(:(:( I'm huge fan of hers, and it's devastating she couldn't get her life together. Such a talent.
  33. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Weird, but more the human mind needing to look for a pattern. (Then again, maybe they all made the same deal as Robert Johnson claimed, on and off, to have made, and they just had to pay up in appropriate ways.)

(Just kidding, mostly, though he repeated the crossroads story himself.)
  34. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

WindSpirit has it right: I googled Amy Winehouse dead and it came up at the top of the search. I clicked, read the article and posted.

Anyway, what drugs was she addicted to?
  35. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

She's gone to the great rehab in the sky...

RIP
  36. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

One of the few female singers I actually listen to. The music industry had already moved on to Amy replacements and yet I was still hoping somehow she would turn her life around... I guess they knew better. Seeing it coming doesn't make it any less sad, RIP.
  37. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The thing with Ledger is that it was very sudden. Work-wise, he was on the top of his game. His Oscar-winning role as the Joker was his last complete performance and he'd been shooting another movie mere days before. There was no indication on the outside that he had a problem.

Winehouse hasn't been a functioning musician for years. We've known for a long time that she had severe issues, and basically watched her slowly kill herself. So this is not a surprise at all, just sad.

God, I hope her dad doesn't find out at the airport waiting for his baggage or something. :(
  38. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

:wuzrobbed

She was probably the only modern young singer that was worth something :(
  39. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I was watching the Norway news on the BBC news channel when the news about Amy Winehouse broke, and one of the first things they reported is that her father was trying to fly back to London. I had the impression he knew? I'm sure if he didn't know before boarding a flight, they would have contacted him and told him on board or soon after landing.

I'm sure that it was on tv before all family and friends knew though, which is sad :(
  40. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Such an overstatement.