Amy Van Dyken severely injured in ATV accident

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yazmeen, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Excerpt from the USA Today article above:
    :(

AP article: http://espn.go.com/olympics/swimmin...gold-medalist-suffers-severed-spine-atv-crash

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  3. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

:huh: :duh:

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

A helmet would make no difference here. She'd still be paralyzed and she's apparently mentally fine (ie no TBI.) The question is why was she driving at speed over something that caused a rollover? Even four-wheelers have stability issues and aren't supposed to be operated at high speed over bumpy or uneven terrain.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

She's really lucky that not wearing a helmet didn't make a difference in this case. As bad as it is, it could have been even worse.

I had a friend tell me recently that the worst issues he's had on his ATV was when he was driving over a road to an off-road site. The change in the ground really messes up the traction, even though you'd think asphalt would be safe. Those vehicles can be really dangerous. I think the point of the story was he installed a roll-cage on his.

My guess, is whatever she was driving over, she didn't realize it would be a problem to go over it at speed. People speed these things over all kinds of obstacles. Was she a real experienced ATV driver? It says she "launched over a curb". I wonder if she did it because she thought the bump could be fun, or if she lost control and hit the curb.

I hope she has a strong recovery. Reading these reports always freak me out, because I had a -thisclose- accident that I recovered from, but could have left me quadriplegic.
    T11 is low enough she might not lose much core strength. Because she is an athlete, she has a strong chance that physical therapy could bring that back to an almost perfect level, even if there was some initial damage. At that level, she likely doesn't have arm impairment, and again, being an athlete means she'll have the upper body strength that she will easily be able to transfer herself, and load her own wheelchair into a car. Those things really help you live independently. Hopefully she'll have bladder/bowel control- sometimes you do at that level, sometimes you don't.

6. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Exactly, that's why I said :duh:.

Very, very stupid to get on a motorized cycle and not take any safety precautions in the way one operates the machine and the way one dresses for the activity.

7. Skittl1321

I was agreeing with the general sentiment you expressed with emoticons. "Huh?" and a faceslap really don't articulate well.

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Police said her husband, Rouen, had recently switched the throttle mechanism on the ATV from a thumb accelerator to a twist accelerator and did not know whether that was a factor in the accident.

WOW, just wow.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good luck to her and hope she makes a speedy recovery.

10. Sylvia

UPDATE article: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...tv-accident-ready-to-face-challenge/10763903/

11. Skittl1321

It must be terrifying to knowingly go into surgery of that magnitude. I really wish her success in her recovery. It's so good to see her have such a positive attitude towards such a horrible situation.

12. Sylvia

CBS Evening News segment on Van Dyken's ongoing rehab.:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amy-van-dyken-remains-positive-after-severe-spinal-injury/
    CBS Denver news story: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/07/14/van-dyken-now-taking-short-trips-many-take-for-granted/

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/07/14/amy-van-dyken-rouen-hip-flexors/12646187/
    She has an amazingly positive :kickass: attitude!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    AYS and (deleted member) like this.
  13. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Thanks for the links/updates Sylvia. She does seem like a completely amazing, positive person. It's great that she's had at least tiny signs of hope in terms of returning function. If anyone can exceed what you'd expect in terms of her recovery, it seems like she will.

This really says it all.

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Wishing her all the best. Her attitude is truly inspirational.

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo