America's Worst Charities

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by michiruwater, Nov 18, 2013.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The Tampa Bay Times and the Center for Investigative Reporting have compiled a list of the 50 Worst Charities in America, ranked by money blown on soliciting costs. I've hear a lot of bad things about #1 on this list (Kids Wish Network) from other places that list bad charities (like Charity Navigator). Always double-check that the charity you're about to donate to is actually worth donating to. (Number 8 on the list [National Veteran's Service Fund] tops CN's list of the most annual 0-star poor reviews, with 10 in a row).

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Excerpt:

Oy. :yikes:
  3. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

What a depressing list. The names all wring the heartstrings. Since moving to the suburbs, we get a lot of calls from charities with "police" in their title. I gave once just because, only to find they were not even tax-exempt.

Thanks for posting this.
  4. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

In the same vain, it annoys me no end when people post sh*t about charities (there's one going around on Facebook AGAIN) without checking facts. Research, research, research.
  5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused:
  6. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I've never heard of any of them although they are similar in name to charities that I have heard of - which is probably how they get their donations. That part sucks.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Very timely thread, but I had never heard of these 5 worst charities. What I heard elsewhere is that Goodwill and United way are bad charities to donate to because most of the money goes to their top management, and only a small portion to those who need it.
  8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Goodwill Industries got an A in the latest charity watch report.

I'm inclined to agree about United Way. It's much better to donate directly to the sub-organization and not subsidize United Way's hierarchy.
  9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The one nice thing about United Way is they support a ton of community organizations that many people would never know about otherwise.
    For instance, in our area people might know and donate to ARC, Girl Scouts, Big Brother/Big Sisters and Crisis Center; but without UW, it is unlikely the coordinated child care, special needs dental program, or school health clinics would get the funding they need. I'd still give to the county UW though, not the national organization, as it has to trickle down.
  10. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

It depends on the united way. The local branches often run on a shoe string budget. You can earmark your funds for particular funding foci, and your monies will actually go there. I know when the tornado hit here, united way got hit with donations. They had already distributed their funding for the year, so they had to recall all their board members (who work for free) to redistribute the new monies, and 100% of it went to where it should go. They then provided free follow-up visits to ensure no mismanagement of funds.

Not all united ways may operate like that, but some certainly do.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

There was a website that rates charities that I am sure I've seen linked here. But I can't think of it right now. :(
  12. Angelskates

What are you confused about?
  13. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

In Canada, some information on registered charities is available on the Revenue Canada website.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html
    You can see general financial info, such as their total income, how much goes on advertising/marketing, how much on salaries etc.
  14. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Just remember there are lots of ways to disguise money not going to the designated recipients. "Public education" doesn't count as overhead but can be pure PR. Every nonprofit needs to promote itself but shouldn't be overusing that category.
  15. milanessa

What charities?
  16. Angelskates

Depends on which one you read; there are plenty. This is the one going around again at the moment. Some FSUers have even shared it on their Facebook. People stupidly passed it around as fact so much that UNICEF, at least, now address the accusation about them on their website. People need to do their research, especially if they decide to share the information (and then, people, need to do their research ;))
  17. milanessa

Thanks. I get a lot of calls soliciting funds and they're almost all bogus. The biggies doing the best work don't usually use telephone marketing.
  18. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Is it bad that my first thought was "Tara Modlin's?"

I'm going to FSU Snarkers Hell, I know :D
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I posted a link to this one recently and the OP also mentions it.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org

This is another good one.
    http://www.guidestar.org
  20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I never give to any charity that rings me at home.

And I never give to any charity that harasses me at the shops.
  21. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I never give to charities that call me either. Although, Big Brother, Big Sister calls me, I do not commit over the phone, I take things to the local site. They like getting clothing, shoes, etc. They sell it and use the money for the kids. What I like about it is that some of the older kids, who are helped, are involved in the sales.