America's Obsession With Celebrity

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by duane, Aug 24, 2012.

1. duane

duane New Member

LOL! Reading this story in the Metro. A 21-year old prankster, Brett Cohen, and a group of friends planned a fake celebrity stunt in Times Square. They recruited two bodyguards via Craigslist, planted paparazzi-style photographers and personal assistants. They entered NBC on 50th Street and exited at 49th Street to a small crowd of people who had gathered after his "assistants" told them a big celebrity was about to exit. The crowd grew as Cohen (dressed to look the part) signed autographs and posed for about 300 photos! One of Cohen's friends interviewed the fans. Some of the people said they recognized Cohen from "Spider-Man". Some said they loved his music! In one group of excited teenagers, a girl can be heard saying, "This is the best day of my life! I love him!"

"I think it's ridiculous," Cohen laughed. "It makes a point about culture and how people are so obsessed with celebrity."

The prank continued for several blocks until one of Cohen's bodyguards ushered the fake crew into a hotel bar. The crowd eventually dissipated. At the end of the video, Cohen is seen walking to the subway as if nothing happened! :lol:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

For those who would like to see it, you can find the video here.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I have all of his albums.

4. duane

duane New Member

5. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Well, I was a fan back BEFORE he was famous!!:lol:;)

6. Nan

Nan Just me

This is great! :lol:

7. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

He fathered MY child, but he won't acknowledge it. :drama:

8. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

My wife tutored him for his bar mitzvah!

:rofl: Wow, what fools these mortals be.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Well, that COULD be true.

;)

10. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I don't think it's just America's obsession, but that is pretty funny.

On a related but not funny note, when CNN was interviewing one of the witnesses from this morning's shootings by the Empire State Bldg, she said that she didn't realize what had happened (had headphones on, so heard no gun shots) but she started running toward the scene when she saw people running because she "thought it was a celebrity sighting".

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This guy ranks second only to some liberal leaning political pranksters that I like: I hope we see more "sightings."

I think our tabloids might now be more salacious than their British counterparts (nothing to be proud of imho.)

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Hey, he took me to the prom in 1977! :D :D

13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

And his ancestors are from Finland, so he is related to me:rofl:

14. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Waiting for the sex tape to surface :shuffle:

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

What an eye opening story. Thanks for posting.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Too funny and sad, and not hard to believe.

Back at 1998 Worlds, I saw Robin Cousins giving an autograph to a mom & kid in the program. I went over to get my autograph, as I always loved him. As he was handing the program back to the kid, the mom pointed to on of the other autographs and asked Robin whose autograph that was. Robin poliitely turned it around and answered that is Peter Carruthers. The mom then asked who Peter was and Robin replied he was a US pair champion. The mother then pointed to another autograph, and then Robin saw me waiting and said he had to give another autograph. I smiled at him, thanked and said I loved his skating.
    I think these kids just get autographs because someone else is - but to not mark down who it is (it can be hard to read them later on- I always put in pencil nearby who it is).
    And Robin, who always seemed like a class act to met, just went up even more. He was really kind.

17. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Mrs Reuven lobbychicked him in the stands at ’86 SA. He was very gracious. Class act all around.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I never understood autograph seeking but I will never forget how gracious Todd Eldridge was to my mother when she asked for his (she barely gets around on her crutches.)

Not counting police programs and the news: Have we seen death on reality tv yet? When does death become a game or has it already happened and I missed it? Have we sunk that low yet? I just keep thinking about the Roman Coliseum and wonder if we are so far off...

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I've seen clips of the new reality TV show "Honey BOO BOO". The premier got high ratings for TLC. So yes, we've "sunk that low".

20. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I used to like him, but he totally sold out.

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Season 2 real housewives of Beverly hills.

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

So we are not far off: We are there.

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I would like to say just one thing:

Snooki is NOT a celebrity.

That is all.

24. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:lol: sorry skateboy, but if you can type one name, and I know who you're talking about, we have a "celebrity", even if it's evidence of the downfall of western civilization :wuzrobbed

25. Norlite

Norlite New Member

made me think of this:

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Kurt was way ahead of his time wasn't he? Cachoo's celebrities: The whole ball of wax; politicians, royals, movie/tv/theatre actors, reality tv types and so many of them are not worth my time or yours. Writers get a pass from me because I think I believe in ideas more than people. Given that I'm still a glass half full gal I believe in human ability to do great good. And I think plenty of celebrities are good folks doing good work. I just can't believe how caught up we get with the cult of celebrity.