American Idol - Top 9 (April 6th and 7th)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Apr 6, 2011.

Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Stefano Langone

6.3%
  2. Scott McCreery

45.3%
  3. Pia Toscano

28.1%
  4. Paul McDonald

15.6%
  5. Lauren Alaina

15.6%
  6. James Durbin

65.6%
  7. Jacob Lusk

17.2%
  8. Haley Reinhart

31.3%
  9. Casey Abrams

37.5%
  10. BONUS POLL: My favourite judge is Randy Jackson

6.3%
  11. BONUS POLL: My favourite judge is Steven Tyler

23.4%
  12. BONUS POLL: My favourite judge is Jennifer Lopez

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

From mjsbigblog.com:

References for tonight's show:

500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll

Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees

Also, Jeff Beck and his replacement Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) are both out. No famous guitarist to jam with the kids tonight… :(

Funny article from votefortheworst.com:

Paul McDonald Is From Alabama

Naima rumour:

Was Naima Adedapo A Stripper?

Lots of you seemed to like Lauren Turner...

Lauren Turner Covers Adele's "Crazy For You"

Past Idol contestant news:

David Cook news from mjsbigblog.com:

Adam Lambert news (again from mjsbigblog.com):

Frenchie Davis news (and Lukas Rossi):

‘Rock Star: Supernova’ Winner Lukas Rossi to Compete on ‘The Voice’ (Frenchie Davis too)

Jordan Sparks news:

Jordin Sparks to join NKOTBSB Tour

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Why do singers get recycled on the reality shows. There are plenty of other singers out there waiting for their chance.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Ok, I really feel like I am living in a freaking twilight world. Weren't we also told that the days of the mentors were done? First they go back on their word about no more specific theme nights and now here is a mentor. Yeesh.

Aww, I wonder what happened with Jeff Beck? Not that he had to be there but he would have been great playing with the contestants.

I'm still convinced that if Lauren Turner were in the competition we would have 1 more woman left right now...well maybe not, maybe Haley would be gone but either way, the field would have been stronger.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm surprised that a winner of a previous competition would be on another one - not surprised about Frenchie since she didn't make it far on AI (wasn't she booted pre-live voting?).

Also - as much as I love Lukas, I don't know that he'd be selected in a blind audition. he's got a very unique voice but it's not technically excellent and watching him in action is a lot of the performance.

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Apparently you are wrong. :p

I think it creates some interest in the new show. And brings fans of those contestants (and the show they were on) to this new program. I personally can't wait to see how Frenchie (and Lukas) do on The Voice. :)

From what I read, he has been ill. Nothing was stated about why Lindsey Buckingham was not able to remain his replacement, though.

6. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Spoilers from Idol, but we don't know who is singing what:

"Michael,Tina,Janice Joplin,Johnny Cash,Aretha,Elvis,Beatles(George Harrison),Creedence + Percy Sledge R&R Hall of Fame Night on #IDOL 2nite"

We already know that Pia is doing Tina. I'm sure that Scotty is doing either Johnny Cash or Elvis. I'd guess that Stefano is doing Michael Jackson, James is doing the Beatles, Haley is doing Janis, Lauren is doing Aretha, Casey is doing CCR, and Jacob is doing Percy Sledge.

7. BigB08822

I agree with those guesses, Allskate. Predictable again but hopefully a few of them surprise us and prove us wrong. I think Scotty simply must be doing Johnny Cash. I could see him doing Elvis as well with his low voice but Johnny Cash would be oh so predictable.

8. Allskate

Yeah, the only reason I think that Elvis is a possibility for Scotty is that he said that he used to sing Elvis when he was younger. But, I think it's much more likely that he's doing Johnny Cash. Plus, I don't think any of the others are likely to pick Johnny, while I can imagine Paul (or even Casey) picking Elvis.

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Steven speaks and presents well.

10. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

May I slap Jacob?

11. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Is that Sedai Garrett singing with Jacob

12. LuckyCharm

Yep. No fair.

Jacob's very best performance, IMO. Too bad it was preceded by his most obnoxious interview/fluff.

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I came in on the end of his beginning interview. What was he saying about if he was in the bottom three?

14. LuckyCharm

It won't be because he sang the song badly, but because "everybody in America wasn't ready to look at themselves in the mirror."

ETA: That was after he let us know that he was too much of a Puritan to sing his original choice "Let's Get It On."

15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I love Jacob's voice. I think he'll do just fine after this competition, he has made alot folks in the industry take notice. He'll have a record out later this year or next year.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Hmmm, so every person who doesn't vote for him is a chubby hater? Geez.

17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That's what I thought he said. I don't like his voice or style, but I find it much more bearable when I don't watch him sing. I happened to glance up during one of his more enthusiastic hip thrusts. :scream:

18. LuckyCharm

I'm not sure what the hell he meant. I don't really consider him chubby.

19. BigB08822

Jacob, I'm already your biggest non-fan, don't give me even more reasons to dislike you.

Why does he get to duet? This is a solo show...

Haley doing Janis, fits her voice that is for sure...

20. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

haley and her affected grunts and growls....

this is all just imitation, IMO.

21. LuckyCharm

He really needs to tone down the creepy faces. Constantine Maroulis is watching and cringing.:yikes:

22. BigB08822

That was probably my favorite from Haley BY FAR. However, she still growls too much and that says something if someone growls too much during a Janis song. LOL! I think I will vote for her tonight!

23. LuckyCharm

Her best performance yet, though. She's really getting stronger as the weeks go on. When she made the top 12 (13?,) I was like :rolleyes::scream::confused:.

24. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Gotta give it to Haley, her best performance of the season. Very Very good pick for Haley.

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

hayley screaming in 3d would scare the bejeezus out of me

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Did J.Lo say that Haley was going to be around for a minute?

I feel like I've just been yelled at by Haley. She's so odd stomping all over the stage.

Does Will I Am have a contract with Idol now? He's on the show so much this season...

27. BigB08822

I'm guessing Lauren is singing Aretha based on the soul comment.

28. Allskate

I think Will I Am must be working on something with Nigel. This is the third time he's been on this season.

29. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

eh. i liked last week's better.

still, she should at the very least outlast paul. everyone and their mom should. :lol:

30. BigB08822

And Casey is doing rock...I hope he doesn't immediately revert back to his growling and screaming ways. Not sure it was a wise idea to have Haley and Casey back to back, at least we get a commercial break, haha.