American Idol - Top 12 (March 16th and 17th)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 16, 2011.

Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Casey Abrams

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Haley Reinhart

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Jacob Lusk

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. James Durbin

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Karen Rodriquez

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Lauren Alaina

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  7. Naima Adedapo

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. Paul McDonald

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Pia Toscano

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  10. Scott Mccreery

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  11. Stefano Langone

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  12. Thia Megia

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I guess all of his fans he gained during the show ditched him when he won.

2. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I shouldn't complain because I didn't vote. But if I had I would have either gone with the best voice-Crystal Bowersox or the body/face-Casey James. Even Big Mike would have been an improvement over Lee. Lee should have come in about 9th or 10th.

3. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

He sounded like a lowing cow, IMO.

4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out why they chose that song as a single. It's boring and going to go nowhere.

I hope they have Crystal on to perform. When was the last time a runner-up was not invited back?

Theme weeks are back. Motown next week. I wonder what Scotty will do? Has there been a country cover of a Motown song?

Jennifer Hudson is performing next on next week's results show, which is nice. And Sugarland is performing, too. I think I prefer the Blackeyed Peas. :lol: I can't stand that last Sugarland single.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I thought they were avoiding themes which keep people in specific genres. I thought they were going to stick to stuff like "80's" or "Billboard Hits" or things which encompass genres of all kinds. I guess there is nothing stopping someone changing a Motown song to a country version but it isn't going to be easy and it is certainly a disadvantage.

6. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Or it could be the best/most interesting thing he's ever done. We'll see. I'm excited for a theme week. Some of these people can't choose a good song to save their lives and have to practically be forced into picking a good song. It can't get much worse than this week, anyway.

7. Allskate

This might turn out to be a good thing for Scotty. He's been singing only country recently and he's largely appealing to country fans. That's fine for now, but it would help him stay on the show longer if he branched out, and this could be a good time to do that.

He has sung other than country before this show. In fact, he said in an interview that he sang a couple of non-country songs in his auditions. He's also in his school choir, which probably does not sing country songs.

He also mentioned that he was a big Elvis fan. Elvis did some Motown songs, right? Didn't he do Unchained Melody? We'll see. Aside from Scotty, I don't see Motown being a huge challenge for the contestants as long as they've cleared a lot of songs. Hopefully it will encourage some less boring song choices. I really liked season 8's Motown night. I still remember Allison's and Adam's performances.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Have the Idol winners with the most successful musical careers thereafter, had their base in the "Country" genre? (I'm thinking Clarkson/Underwood.)

9. BigB08822

Underwood for sure. Clarkson has been on the country charts twice (is actually at #1 right now!) but only as a guest on duets. She has not ventured into solo territory except when her lead single from Idol, A Moment Like This, got some play on the country chart. However, plenty of other artists from Idol have done well on country, people you may have forgotten about. Bucky Covington and Josh Gracin come to mind right away.

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I hope everybody makes the song their own, updating it to fit them (while being respectful to the original). I like how Pat made this one her own:

Pat Benatar - Seven Rooms Of Gloom

Do you like the hair? :D

Scotty could make any Smokey Robinson song into a country song. Good songs work in most (if not all) genres. I remember seeing Annie Lennox play some of the Eurythmics rockier songs on MuchMusic acoustically with only a guitar accompanying her...and they were amazing! :respec:

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Scotty won't have ANY problem choosing a song. Berry Gordy was a big supporter of country music and there were country divisions within Motown Records the whole time he was in charge. TG Sheppard was a Motown artist!

12. Allskate

Have you ever heard her version of A Whiter Shade of Pale? Beautiful. Love her.

Aceon, thank for the info on Motown's country labels. I didn't know about that. Assuming those songs are cleared, that would make things easier for Scotty. But, I'm really kind of hoping he branches out. All of his performances have kind of blended together in my mind.

I think that the country contestants who haven't made the finale generally have had much better success with recording careers than other contestants. So, I get why Scotty has targeted that audience now, but I still think he would benefit in the competition from doing a couple of non-country songs. It's not like it would prevent him from getting a country recording contract. Casey James and even Danny Gokey were able to get country recording contracts.

13. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

What year was that?

14. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Scotty could sing the Mervin part of any Temptations song. ;)

Seriously, country to Motown isn't as hard a transition, there are story songs, easy melodies and so on. Diana Ross had a range of about six notes, it's safe to sing any of her songs.

15. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The problem with doing Motown is that some of those songs are sacred & the contestants are bound to fcuk them up. Sacriledge!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  16. BigB08822

That is all part of knowing what songs to pick. If the contestant doesn't know any better then they deserve the criticism and to possibly go home. If they are good enough they can take a "sacred" song and make it work but I'm not sure there is anyone in this group capable of doing that.

I felt there was so much potential when we got the top 40 or so. However, there isn't one single vocalist in here who can blow me away. I thought Lauren had it but I think her initial audition was just really good vocally. I don't know if she can wow me anymore although she is still one of my favorites. Pia is good but she just isn't for me. I miss the days of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, etc. People who could give you the chills and bring the house down. Still a better group than last year, though and better than the group before Adam, Allison, Kris.

17. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

1 9 8 6 :)

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  18. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we're just getting going with a lot of them. Pia, James, Lauren, Scotty, Casey, and Stefano all have pretty great potential. Some of the best contestants don't fully bloom until the top 8, 7, 6 time. Think Kris, Vonzell, and Syesha. Just relax and enjoy the ride, we are coming off a pretty blah week. It'll pick up eventually.

19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I agree. I do not expect everyone to master the art of learning a new song and preparing it so it comes across well both live and on TV. Frankly, many established artists haven't mastered it, so why are we expecting it of these kids? The Top 8 will have a month of doing this, and will figure out what works for them.

James almost has it. I noticed it in the Top 13 show when he turned his profile to the camera before he went up into scream-land. I think Stefano and Casey are getting there. Jacob still needs work to find the best angles for the cameras. Most of the girls haven't yet found the way to sing to the crowd as opposed to the judges. Once everyone has to work less on the TV side, I expect the vocals to be better.

20. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I hope so because this week was pretty dull.

21. Allskate

I think that had a lot to do with the song choices.

I do think the contestants will improve in terms of stage presence and pitch as they get a little more experience and confidence and a spot on the tour is no longer on the line. I'm also hoping that some of them will take a few more risks in terms of song choices once they make the tour.

Also, different song choices might force some of the contestants to improve their stage presence. If Stefano chooses a more uptempo song and isn't trying to look so sincere, he might open his eyes. Also, if they let Paul play his guitar, he might not move around like a drunk chicken on stage.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Everyone had the instrument option last week. Strange that Paul didn't take them up on it.

23. Allskate

If that's true, it may not have been communicated to Paul - or not in time -- because he had responded to someone's question last week by saying that instruments were not allowed yet. Casey was in the hospital until Sunday and did his song later than the rest, so maybe that was why he played an instrument. For a whole lot of things, Nigel has been changing the rules and format as they go along.

Anyway, I hope that Paul does start playing the guitar and gives the staggering a rest. Not sure how well that will work with Motown week.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

If Paul had played an instrument, he would have had to omit his dance solo.

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

his St Vitus Dance? :p

26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Apparently Paul is a hit with gay guys. All the guys at my stylists shop love him. They rank Pia as number one girl and Paul as number one guy. They think he's interesting. It's going to be interesting to see how far he goes in the comp.

27. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

If he's a big a hit with the gay voters as Kris Allen was, he's going verrrry far. :lol: I'll keep an ear out for the convos at my gym re paul. Some of the things said about Kris Allen during his season ay my gym I won't mention :rofl:. That said, I think Paul's the first guy out.

I still don't understand how Lee won. He was the definition of a schlubby bar singer. It was probably Simon kissing his ass each week for some inexplicable reason. :shuffle:

28. BigB08822

I think Paul strongly resembles Bradley Cooper but not hitting as high on the hotness factor.

29. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

OT, but TMZ posted the headline "Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellweger Split" and the entire article consisted of "this makes sense." :rofl:

30. Allskate

Mean, but :lol:

I think Jacob will get the boot before Paul does, though I agree that with Brian that he's not nearly as hot as Bradley Cooper. There are women who like Paul, too. It's not just the gay guys.