American Idol - Top 12 (March 16th and 17th)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 16, 2011.

?

Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Casey Abrams

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Haley Reinhart

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Jacob Lusk

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. James Durbin

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Karen Rodriquez

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Lauren Alaina

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  7. Naima Adedapo

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. Paul McDonald

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Pia Toscano

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  10. Scott Mccreery

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  11. Stefano Langone

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  12. Thia Megia

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Is the results show on at 7 or 8? (Central Time)

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much AI is paying these hugely sought after Producers. In particular, Darkchild. This effectively takes him out of work (as in, working for other artists, obviously not unemployed) for 3 months. He can still do some things on the side, I am sure, but nothing near the load he could normally do. I would think it would have to be big money because he is in high demand and probably charges a pretty penny for his work.

3. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

I thought it was pretty great.

Casey's performance bordered on blasphemy. Jacob gave me a headache. James was extremely underwhelming. Stephano was alright; the terrible performances around him made his better. And Paul. Oh Paul. He legit might be one of the worst contestants to make the finals. Good lord. Points for being entertaining in an oh so horrific way, continuing the tradition of folks like Sanjaya, Kristi Lee Cook, and Danny Gokey. How can any person listen to that performance then honestly say to themselves, "This is a person who sings well, and I would like to buy that performance on iTunes." What fascinates me about him is seeing him totally bomb 2 weeks in a row and having the judges fawn over him anyway. In that sense he's more like the next Danny Gokey then the next Sanjaya.

Of course, then, the judges put the hammer down on the girls and give the guys passes.

Terrible night. Pia was solid as usual, but nothing spectacular.

4. BigB08822

I think the one thing saving Paul is that he has a very unique voice. Love it or hate it, it is unlike any other. When someone is that different, people are bound to either love or hate him. Apparently, enough love him! I'd rather someone like him be on the show than someone like Sanjaya who had no vocal talent, no vocal uniqueness and only crazy hair dos. I have heard a million Sanjaya's while at Karaoke night but I can honestly say I've never run into another Paul.

5. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Not really. People like James Morrison, Ray LaMontagne, James Blunt, Paulo Nutino all have similar voices, and all can actually sing. Paul's voice is practically transparent.

Having a husky, laryngitis-like voice is hardly unique. And it doesn't help that he sounds like Kermit the Frog parodying a drunk Rod Stewart. He actually comes off affected at times. But I understand. Different strokes, different folks and all that jazz.

6. BigB08822

phoenixflamezzz, you do make a point about the other artists with similar styles but they have never had nearly the type of exposure that Paul is getting from American Idol. Both in shear numbers in such a short time and to an audience that is so young and probably leans heavily female. In that sense, Paul is brand new to those watching the show, most of them, at least.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

THIS. BTW its Paolo Nutini. And he's like 500 times the singer that Paul is. I was somewhat intrigued by Paul at first, but the last few weeks he's fallen very flat for me. He's just got no power whatsoever. I could see him lasting a few more weeks but only because half the top 12 is just thuddingly awful most of the time.

I'm very confident that the top 6 needs to be Casey, Pia, Lauren, James, Scott, and Stefano. Maybe Haley could squeak in if things really turn around for her, which could happen. The rest really can go at any time. Loved Naima last week, but if she's going to put out performances like she did last night, it's just not gonna work.

8. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

We can debate how good his voice is, but there definitely are people who love his singing. His band's album was selling well on ITunes and charted on Billboard I think the week they chose the top 24. My impression is that his band has been supporting themselves with their music and has been invited to festivals like Bonnaroo and had some good opening gigs as well. So, I wouldn't put him in the category of Sanjaya. I also wouldn't put him in the category of Ray LaMontagne, though. Then again, I wouldn't put the majority of the top 13 in the category of Grammy Award winning singers. I suspect Paul will outlast Karen, Jacob, Naima, and Haley. And, honestly, I'd rather listen to him sing than listen to them.

9. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Did they just bleep shih tzu? :rofl:

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:rofl: Yes!

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It's an injustice that Haley is in the bottom three while Paul and Jacob are safe.

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm not watching. Is Haley the only one in the bottom so far?

13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yup.

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks.

15. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

oh.. I like Haley..:( not that i have been really watching much but did enjoy her song yesterday..

16. Allskate

I'd prefer to see Karen go over Haley, but I'm fine if Haley goes home. I find her singing style to be more annoying than Paul's.

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

...and Jacob's? :yikes:

18. Allskate

:lol: It's a draw. I don't care for either of them. I wouldn't mind at all if those two and Karen are the next three to go home.

19. haribobo

that Black eyed Peas perf. was just depressing. Can't the guys just take their autotune and go home already. I'm fine with Fergie solo, but this band has maxed out and its just ridiculous now

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Agree.

21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Karen Rodriguez leaves Idol tonight.

22. haribobo

LOVE THE RESULT! Goodbye to MY OSCAR, MY KAREN!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

please never sing again :slinkaway

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The bottom three is
    Naima, Haley and Karen. Karen
    goes home.

24. haribobo

Interesting tidbit. "Love Will Lead You Back" has been the elimination song for Carmen Rasmusen, Mikalah Gordon, and now Karen. It's definitely not a song you want to pick to stay in the competition. Way to continue tradition, Karen. :lol:

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  25. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Instead of BEP performing, someone like Adele should perform on the show. She's getting much more popular now, but I would love if the AI audience got to hear her sing.

26. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I think it was Randy who made it clear that it was *not* unanimous to not give Karen the save....someone wanted her to stay. It was probably JLo.

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:swoon: I love Adele!

28. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I happen to love Will Iam. I think he's a talent producer and creates some really interesting beats. He's not a Timberland or Kanye, whom I think both are genius.

29. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Lee proved once again why he is the lowest-selling Idol to date. I'm still going Why? Why? Why? a year later. Who voted for this guy? Mediocre voice, blah personality, & not much to look at.

30. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth, I totally forgot who he was. Did I somehow miss last year? I find I'm blanking on who was on the show.

Not too disappointed with the results tonight. Still haven't picked a favourite yet.