American Idol - Top 12 (March 16th and 17th)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 16, 2011.

?

Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Casey Abrams

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Haley Reinhart

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Jacob Lusk

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. James Durbin

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Karen Rodriquez

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Lauren Alaina

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  7. Naima Adedapo

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. Paul McDonald

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Pia Toscano

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  10. Scott Mccreery

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  11. Stefano Langone

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  12. Thia Megia

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Random news:

http://mjsbigblog.com/:

Stefano Langone Reportedly Was Arrested For DUI

Possible song spoiler:
    Lauren Alaina – 1994 – “Come to My Window”

Rickey.org has Scott McCreery as leading the pack in popularity...

Scotty For The Win?

Kelly Clarkson’s Album Delayed Until Fall...

Ratings are up (from mjsbigblog.com):

Nielsens: ‘American Idol’ surges 7% from 2010

Lee DeWyze Next Single is “Beautiful Like You”

The label is releasing another single before they drop him? :confused: Lee is reported to be playing this song on Thursday night's result show.

Expect a Release Date For David Cook’s Upcoming Album Soon

Casey James Album to Debut in Fall?

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Just to clear it up, because it isn't clear at all from your post, Stefano Langone's possible DUI happened a while back (before the show process began). I thought it happened this week or something!

This was probably discussed in last week's thread but I read that there will no longer be song spoilers because they are not allowing the audience into dress rehearsals anymore. Not sure why but it seems like they are going a long way to cover up a lot of things this year. Giving singers retakes, not going live, no audience in dress rehearsal. Seems a little fishy to me.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Tonight's theme is songs from the performer's birth year.

The Black Eyed Peas are also performing Thursday night.

BigB08822, anything in a post which is in blue letters and is underlined is a link to an article. Just click on it, and that page will open up on a new screen and you can read all the details in the article. :)

jtpc and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We'll get song spoilers... leaks will happen. What we won't get is the preview of how the contestant did.

5. BigB08822

I know, that is how I knew it happened before but I figured not everyone would read the article. Just throwing it out there so those who dont read the article wont have the wrong idea. :)

Oh, and the Black Eyed Peas are performing? Then I will NOT be watching Thursdays show. Worst live musical act, EVER.

6. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Casey Abrams tweeted Melinda Doolittle, saying "Listening to your audition for inspiration. Just thought I'd let you know. :)"

I thought that might be a hint about what song he's singing. She auditioned with a Stevie Wonder song, though - For Once in My Life --which was released long before Casey was born. It could be a good song for him, though, so maybe he's thinking ahead to next week? Or maybe there was a version released the year he was born?

I'm glad Casey has his ulcerative colitis under control now. It's probably hard to keep the right diet while he's on the show.

And speaking of health and diet issues on the show, Crystal has a new tv ad campaign out with her and B.B. King. She was so excited when she met him in Vegas and nobody knew what the meeting was for. Now we do. They're promoting a blood sugar monitor.

I'm bummed that they're taking until the fall to release Casey's album. It's good that they're not rushing it, but I wouldn't think they would have to take that long. I guess the labels really want to release in the fall. It must be especially frustrating for Kelly since her album already is done.

ETA: Oops! You're right taf! Some people really hate any kind of spoilers at all. Nigel spilled two song choices in an interview this morning:
    Hesaid in an interview that Casey is doing "Smells Like Teen Spirit," which is not something I would have expected. It could be good and he might have an interesting take on it, but I was hoping he would dial it back this week.

Thia is singing "Colors of the Wind." Not exactly a surprise.

EATA: I was looking to see if there had ever been a version of SLTS with the bass. Didn't find one, but did find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVdNKciP94

It's done by the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain! So, who know what Casey will do with it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Allskate - you should probably put song spoilers into [] spoilers. Not everyone likes to know ahead of time. No me, I already read the spoilers.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:mad:

Three ballads in a row? The girl needs to diversify! Luckily she is popular enough that she probably won't end up in the bottom three. But she is not going to make the top five if she keeps doing the same type of song over and over again...

9. Allskate

Um, do you realize that you quoted my spoiler, so it's out there for everyone to see? :lol: I can't change your quote.

And Peter, I totally agree with you.

10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Oopsie :eek: I fixed it, thanks.

11. BigB08822

Thia is boring me to death and we're only in week 2 of the finals. I know she sings very pretty but unless your Susan Boyle, no one moves albums with a bunch of pretty songs these days, especially not young girls. It will only hurt her if she sings all ballads and then gets signed and suddenly comes out with a dance/pop single that radio loves these days. It will alienate her fanbase and no one else will know who she is so she will be destined to flop. Don't pigeonhole yourself, Thia!!

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Has anybody read the new book out that's supposed to give all the backstage scoop on AI? I was flipping through it in Borders the other day, but didn't buy it. I did see the comments that apparently the vote between Kris and Adam wasn't even close. I figured one of you real AI junkies would have read it and given up the unknown scoop.

13. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

It doesn't surprise me that the vote wasn't close for Kris and Adam. I'm guessing Danny's fans swung about 99.9% for Kris. I'm guessing if the final two had been Danny and Adam, Kris' fans would've (mostly) gone for Adam, and if it had been Danny and Kris, I would've power voted for Kris like a mad tween. :D

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

15. PrincessLeppard

I just watched most of it. :)

My teevee just said AI is live. Is it? Or just the little blurb about Japan was live?

16. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Naima quite pitchy. She should simplimfy her look a bit.

17. rfisher

Naima may be a good performer, but she's kinda pitchy every time she sings.

18. Allskate

19. rfisher

He he. JLo agreed with me.

20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

naima sounds sort of amateurish, like she's singing at a pool party

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That was awful..sorry.

22. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

That girl was bad.

23. Allskate

More than kinda. Good for Jennifer not giving her a free pass this time. I don't know why Steven loved it. The stage movement wasn't as good this time around either. It seemed more karaoke, though that might also have been the song choice.

Nigel said in an interview this morning that Paul is sick. Hopefully it won't have a big impact on his performance.

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Paul moves like he has rickets

25. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Sounds like he's still a little hoarse.

lol yes...he reminds me of Jack Sparrow walking around on stage.

26. PrincessLeppard

Paul sounds like a chipmunk. And isn't in any way singing to the beat of the song.

27. rfisher

I'm going to have to start doing like the *coaches* are going to do on the NBC version of this. They listen with their backs to the singers so they can focus on the vocals. Watching Paul makes me dizzy. He reminds me of Steve Martin's character in the Jerk.

28. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I guess Paul is sick.....

29. Allskate

This is one of my favorite Elton John songs, but I'm not sure about it as a song choice for Paul. His voices gives it a different vibe. Not quite so blue.

I do wish they'd let the contestants play instruments. Then Paul could stop staggering around the stage.

30. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

You'd think a colony of ants marched right up his pants, the way he was constantly moving around that stage.