American Idol - Top 12 (11??) - Wednesday March 14th & Thursday March 15th

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 14, 2012.

?

Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Poll closed Mar 16, 2012.
  1. ?????????????????? Mystery Guest ?????????????????

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Colton Dixon

37.1%
  3. DeAndre Brackensick

11.4%
  4. Elise Testone

34.3%
  5. Erika Van Pelt

34.3%
  6. Heejun Han

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hollie Cavanagh

45.7%
  8. Jessica Sanchez

22.9%
  9. Joshua Ledet

68.6%
  10. Phillip Phillips

60.0%
  11. Shannon Magrane

2.9%
  12. Skylar Laine

17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Jermaine Jones will no longer be on American Idol as he lied on his application to producers about his past...

Jermaine Jones Disqualified From American Idol For Hiding Violent Past

Jermaine Jones Twitter Account Deleted

Jermaine Jones is now in Philadelphia

How jaded am I in that almost my first thought was "this was set up from the beginning, the producers gave him $50,000 or whatever to appear on the show and in week two, the news will 'leak' and we'll kick you off the show and provide you with a nice cheque"? :(
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

No more jaded than I be then 'cause I thought the same thing. :lol:

Won't miss 'em. He was never going to get past the Top 10 anyway. Never would have given him the wild card slot either.
  3. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Only 11 songs are listed on the AI site on Facebook. Don't know who is singing what (per my tweener, else I'd link...)
  4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

American Idol was the number one show on TV last week. American Idol was also the number two show on TV last week! :cheer2: The Wednesday show had almost two million more viewers than the #3 show (The Voice). Americal Idol easily beat "The Big Bang Theory" (which came in at #5 for the week), besting that show by almost four million viewers.

I love how people keep talking about how American Idol is plummeting in the ratings, yet year after year it stays at #1 (and #2). It's kind of like how for x years people keep talking about the troubled relationship Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have. Yet year after year, they're still together. :)

I thought Jeremiah was quite good. He had a soothing, melodic voice. I did however, keep hoping someone would give him a makeover. That scraggly facial hair... :yikes:
  5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Philip with another good performance but after a while they all start to sound the same... or is that just me with this sinus infection?
  6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I think Jessica is off, not the best song for her. The background singers are used way too much.

Stephen Tyler is criticizing her, and Jennifer?? I'm shocked.
  7. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Lazy girl that I am, I don't tune in til top 10 and I missed the first one. But despite the criticism on Jessica, I like her, the girl has a voice and real presence.
  8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

I'm at parent-teacher conferences, so I'm going to whine like the West Coasters :p and demand more details. :mitchell:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

He sounded good singing that song.

She should not have chosen that song.

I liked him doing that kind of song.

She will definitely move forward if she keeps covering those types of songs.

That's what the East Coasters have said so far. Was it helpful? :)
  10. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I don't think Heejun connected at all with that song, it was a bad song for him and pitchy.
  11. PRlady

Chinese nerd guy is cute but even I could hear his breathing was all over the place in that song. Meh.
  12. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

That was :yikes: for Heejun. Really rough
  13. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

No, it was not. :drama:

And this was not helpful either! What song? Why is life so difficult? :drama:
  14. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I didn't think Heejun was that bad :shuffle: I would still vote for him.. I think he is so cute..plus so many entertainers are not brilliant singers but have great personalities.. this isn't the voice - it's Idol.. :cool:
  15. 4rkidz

not sure what the song was called - something about 'waiting for you' :shuffle: But he was rather breathy doing it.. and it did seem a little awkward but in the interview afterwards he said he was thinking of his girlfriend who was also in the audience.. then quickly mentioned 20% was for Jennifer Lopez and 10% for Fergie :lol: He was also dressed in a suit that was tight and small fitting in like a violet colour - with large plastic glasses that clashed .. how's that for details :D
  16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Welcome to the west coast. :) Guess all the sun we get here lightens our spirits. For we are able to create polls every week hours before the show begins, yet East Coasters can't use names or type out song titles. I guess I lucked out being born on this coast! :D
  17. soxxy

soxxy Guest

They are singing songs from the year of their birth.

Elise, born 1983. She was saved last week by the judges.

She sings "Let's Stay Together."

I liked her rendition of it.....sort of more jazzy, not soul. Good job.

Stephen said the rasp, that's what was nice.
  18. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Song spoilers from mjsbigblog.com:

Endless Love (Diana Ross and Lionel Richie then Mariah Carey and Luther Vandross)
    One Sweet Day (Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men)
    When A Man Loves A Woman
    Heaven (Bryan Adams ?)
    Broken Heart (???)
    Love Sneakin’ Up On You (Bonnie Raitt)
    The Power of Love (Celine Dion? Huey Lewis & The News?)
    Hard To Handle
    Turn The Beat Around (Vicki Sue Robinson and then Gloria Estefan)
    Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx)
    Let’s Stay Together (Al Green then Tina Turner)
  19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

DeAndre sang Endless Love not very well. I guess he's cute, which is important on Idol. ;) I detect a lisp in his voice. This is not a good performance.

BTW, Will I Am is this week's mentor who seems nice enough, but is not particularly helpful or interesting, like Mary last week.
  20. PRlady

MAKE IT STOP. Horrible song (Endless Love) and worse singer (Deandre) and the curly-wurlies don't help.

(How's that, PL?)

ETA: Judges are whack. I thought Elise was OK and this guy is awful, liked Jessica the best by far.
  21. 4rkidz

I really liked Elise but not enjoying Deandre at all - but he got a standing ovation so I must be missing something? I do like his curls though :shuffle: he sang 'endless love' but really boring for me.. and I agree with jennifer that it was the wrong song..
  22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

steven looks like janice joplin
  23. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The standing ovation was ridiculous, but it means the judges want us to vote for Deandre. I missed Jessica-what did she sing?
  24. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Tall Shannon sang Mariah's One Sweet Day in a glitter shorts suit sort of thing. She's not bad, rather bland, could put more passion into it.
  25. 4rkidz

I missed her song.. I'm clicking about as criminal minds is on.. and am multi tasking marking papers..;) skunk hair guy was enjoyed by Jennifer but not by Steven.. I'm a bit blah when it comes to him..
  26. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be surprising in the least if it was revealed that the list of song choices for tonight is Disc #1 of the soundtrack in Hell :scream: :yikes:.

I'm not watching as I forgot it was on, but if that's tonight's offering, I'll stick to re-runs of The Big Bang Theory and the Friends marathon on Nick at Nite (and I'm not exactly a fan of Friends :shuffle: ).

Could some kind soul who is watching please post what each contestant sang, his/her thoughts on the performance, and what the Three Stooges had to say about them?

Also, how/what did they handle/say about Jermaine getting booted from the show? :watch:
  27. PRlady

Erica, I like. (Big surprise, there hasn't been a season yet in which I didn't like the rocker chick.) She sang Heaven, PL, and did it pretty well, but I think she could do better.

and for all you looking for PBP, the judges liked her and the rendition but not the arrangement.

(Sorry, I'm doing laundry and shoe-shopping online so you only get a few contestants from me.)
  28. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I find this confrontation with Nigel and Jermaine way over the top and confrontational. It has nothing to do with the competition. Jermaine is giving his side of the story re the crime. Jermaine exits to his pretty singing.

Ryan says it's business as usual re the competiton, someone will be eliminated tomorrow.
  29. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

:lol:How awsomely refreshing is Skylar's background piece? "I was a terrible child!" Mom: "She was a mess...":rofl:

Singing Bonnie Raitt's "Love Sneakin Up on You." Doesn't quite have the power to pull it off, IMO.

Judges give her a tongue bath, and Jennifer blabbers some BS about how it's important for the judges to be honest and it's a disservice to the singers when they aren't.
  30. 4rkidz

:confused: I'm so confuzzled.. missed the above interaction so not sure what it means?
  31. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Jessica sang Turning the Beat Around and IMO was pretty fantastic. Judges panned it but seemed to be reading from a script. Phillip did Hard to Handle and was just incredible. Heejun was just ok on Right Here Waiting. Same for Deandre on Endless Love...he's just really lacking in power. Elise sounded great on Let's Stay Together. Erika did Heaven and was drowned out by the backing track- she was both good and bad at the same time. Shannon did One Sweet Day and was quite bad, very weak vocals but the judges praised it to the high heavens. Colton did some song called Broken Hearted and kinda did well with it although it didn't really have much hook to it, it was sort of just random and forgettable. Skylar did "Love Sneaking Up on You" and was good but not my favorite ever from her. Joshua and Hollie are closing out the show, 24 more minutes...seems like there *should* be time for a secret 12th contestant...hmmm...
  32. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Someone will be eliminated tomorrow, as planned.
  33. LuckyCharm

They taped a segment where the two of them sat down with Jermaine and confronted him with all their "information." The said if he had come clean at the beginning they would have understood blah blah. It was so awkward and creepy that I turned and missed the part where Jermaine was explaining himself. But in the end they booted him.
  34. JILEN

JILEN New Member

I didn't like jessica's Turn The Beat around but after watching everybody'sperformance so far hers is turning out to be one of the better ones. Skylar and Elize did their thing too, rest is hohum..zzzzz including the judges.

The crawfish woke me up.
  35. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Joshua put A LOT into When a Man Loves a Woman. Wonderful performance, I laughed when he took his jacket off. Jennifer said it's the best thing she's ever seen on AI, but it was quite a performance.
  36. LuckyCharm

They brought Joshua a giant tub of crawfish on the stage. His background piece pretty standard, grew up singing in church, etc. Singing "When a Man Loves a Woman." Has to say its Michael Bolton's version to make it fit the category. His interpretation much more reminiscent of Percy Sledge than of Bolton. Doing a pretty damn good job. Judges standing well before the end. Jennifer appears to be in post-coital shock. It's kind of gross. Tongue bath, Jen says it's the best thing she's ever seen on AI. I don't know about that, but it was really good. Randy says it was because of the crawfish. Steven rambling about god. Looking back, I actually can't think of a better performance on this show since Adam Lambert's run.
  37. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Hollie killed it tonight. She is so tiny but has a ton of a power and a great tone. I absolutely loved that and usually don't like it when people take on Celine
  38. LuckyCharm

Hollie with Celine's "Power of Love." Nice but not perfect. Pales a little going after Joshua. Judges like it, saying they saved the best for last with her and Joshua. You can tell though that even they are a bit deflated after Joshua.
  39. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Joshua best, West Coasters should not miss that one in particular.
  40. PRlady

Lots of talented people this year, actually. I missed Phillip and Colton but liked what I heard from the snippets. Get rid of Deandre and Shannon and the rest can duke it out.