American Idol - Top 11 (March 23 and 24th)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Casey Abrams

27.3%
  2. Haley Reinhart

16.4%
  3. Jacob Lusk

50.9%
  4. James Durbin

56.4%
  5. Lauren Alaina

32.7%
  6. Naima Adedapo

45.5%
  7. Paul McDonald

23.6%
  8. Pia Toscano

56.4%
  9. Scott McCreery

25.5%
  10. Stefano Langone

16.4%
  11. Thia Megia

20.0%
  12. I Enjoyed EVERYBODY Tonight!! :cheer2: :cheer:

3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

This article seems to indicate Matt would have finished in 7th place.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1609354/american-idol-judges-save-matt-giraud.jhtml

2. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I just finished watching my Tivo since I had bridge tonight. I'm very disappointed that Thia wasn't the one with the least votes. But I'm glad that all 11 are going on tour since the save was used. I've been voting for Naima but now that she made the tour I think I'll go back to watching & not voting. And I may go to the tour for once if it comes near me. So many of these 11 are really talented & should be even better by tour time.

I loved how everyone was dressed tonight. All the girls looked beautiful but I thought Haley had the prettiest dress & I loved her hair. Also loved Naima's halter dress. And I like Lauren's smooth 'do.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

So if Thia wasn't the one who went home, then what was with that picture?
  4. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

She's in it... she's behind another contestant. You can see her hair.
  5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Casey is very talented, but he's really a niche performer. He's not going to appeal to the tweens and if he gets too quirky, he'll lose the older woman vote. Those are the two biggest voting blocks. He needs to dial back the growls, and OTT performance and just sing. He can cavort and do all that later. Frankly, I feel the same way about Naima. Except when she just sings, she's not that good. Casey is not going to be a pop star. Wrong look, wrong vocals. But, he can do well in other genres but he needs to learn a lesson from this.

And, I'll say the same for Scott. He has a future in country music, but he needs a real mentor on stage presence and changing things around a bit. He's making some rooky mistakes and I hope they don't cost him down the road. Sometimes it's easy to forget how young most of the cast is this year.
  6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think its great they used it so all 11 can go on tour. I wasn't surprised that Casey would be the first man out because he doesn't bring the cute or hot factors, but I was surprised that he would go out before Thia, who hasn't had a really strong performance, and Haley was bottom 3 two weeks in a row.
  7. taf2002

Naima has the least vocal talent of the girls (but way much more than Paul) but she & Pia are the best at knowing exactly what to do with what they have. But I think she has the best stage presence of all the girls & most of the boys (dancing aside). Pia, Thia, & Jacob just stand in front of the mike, Scotty, Paul, & Haley are awkward. James & Lauren are pretty good, but IMO Casey & Naima are the most natural on stage.

And her voice is much better than many successful recording stars. Miley Cyrus came on the radio last night & I was struck again how awful her voice is. I hadn't heard it in a while. I know Naima is not everyone's cup of tea but I think she is unique & refreshing & I like her dancing even though I've seldom been exposed to African dance before.
  8. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Jennifer Hudson's performance last night. I am sure if I like the song, but I enjoyed how she performed it. Was she that strong of a performer when she was on AI or has that talented developed with her acting roles? She showed a real connection to the words of the song, not just the notes of the song, and that was exactly what the judges asked from Stefano and Pia. I wonder if they took noticed?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

She was pretty good at it from the start, but I agree that her performance ability has improved.
  10. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Speaking of performance ability, Adam Lambert's Glam Nation Live CD/DVD is out! VEVO has been promoting it on Youtube for a few days now. You can watch six of the songs on Youtube here. If you're an Adam fan, I recommend checking it out. He gives a fun show, and I'm really glad that it was recorded and released for the public. The CD/DVD is available at stores, iTunes or his official website.

ITA. Pia has a great voice, but I really wish she would do something other than stand in front of the mike and belt out another ballad.
  11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My favorite performer has to be Pink. Talk about a combination of voice and performance ability! Of course, it helps to be a former competitive gymnast.
  12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just don't see why they can't send all 13 on the tour. I know they have time constraints but seriously, 13 make the finals so why is it that only 10 of those (11 this time) go on tour? If you can't send 13 on tour then don't have a final 13. It is a real slap in the face and a heartbreak. They are every bit as much of a finalist as someone who finishes 8th. It is almost like the first round of live shows is actually the semi finals and when we get to the top 10 we have our actual final rounds begin.
  13. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

YES, I love Pink. Her "Glitter In The Air" performance at the Grammys last year is miles better than any of the big, staged performances by the other pop stars.

It's probably also financial limitations too. An extra three performers is another extra three people that they would have to pay and accommodate on the tour. Also, the Idols concert is 3 hours long, and it gets kind of tedious in the beginning. The majority of people don't care about the first few performers, which is why they went quickly. It's not until like the top three where the excitement level really starts to build.
  14. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

First of all, George Huff's in the da house! :cheer2: Love him. I wish he would have sung (not as a backup singer).

Poor Casey, his hands were shaking so bad. I thought he was going to collapse. Ryan thought so too, I guess. Lots of bleeped words. I guess he lost it a little. But then he regained his composure and that made me laugh:

Casey: I started singing and the fact that you cut it scared the... stuff out of me.
    Ryan: I can guess what the stuff is. We know.

:rofl:

I'm glad they saved him and I liked the way they did it, too. I hope people are going to vote for Casey some more. He won't win, but he deserves to outlast a few others. Those two clips someone posted earlier are exactly the reasons I began to like him. When he started to sing his last song before the save I was thinking, "Noooo, you should be singing Georgia On My Mind!"

Anyway, everyone's talking Casey this, Thia that... What about freaking Stefano? He completely blew it. He deserved to go home. And don't even start me on Paul, the snake oil salesman.
  15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Darn it. Are snake oil salesman back on the "not" list?

He's no Jacob, that's for sure.
    Aceon6 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

:D I'm sure there are people who find him cute or hot. There definitely are people who find Casey hot.

Last night's ending was very scripted, except for Casey's part in it. The guy was visibly shaking and I thought he looked like he was ready to hurl on stage. That was one heck of a wake-up call. I hope he heard what the judges said, though it would have been more amusing if Casey had asked them why they didn't say those things before.

I hope they show more of Mark Anthony in the future. He was amusing.

The guys in the house really are like little boys. :lol: The wrestling bit was :lol: I don't know how long I could take living with them. My theory is that the girls made up the haunting story so that they could get living quarters separate from the guys. :lol:
  17. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

And every single one of her songs is so strong in terms of story. She knows the story and sells it. I don't think she sings songs, she sings anthems. I am very quickly falling in love with her these days. Something about her just sells it. I would <3 for someone to do a remake of the movie Tank Girl and cast her as the lead, but this time the movie is a little more... umm... serious.
  18. taf2002

The judges pick the top 13. America picks the top 10(11). How likely is it that America is going to buy Ashthon's or Karen's music? They send on tour the performers America wants to see.

The wrestling bit really turned me off but I got my hair cut today (I look fabulous btw) & the receptionist is a teenager & she was eating up that stuff. Also she & her friends think Scotty is cute which made me :eek:. yeah, Alfred E Newman/Howdy Doody is really cute.
  19. BigB08822

A combination of America and the judges chose the top 13. However the top 10 may include all or none of the judges 3 picks. So I don't see how it should be the ones America choses, as some of the initial top 10 they chose may go home in places 13-11 and therefore not make the tour. They're all finalists, it just seems cruel to me, that is all.

I don't buy the excuse about money, AT ALL. Do you have any idea how much money AI is making? From advertisements, from the tour itself, from album and single sales? It is a huge money making machine and they could do all 13 if they wanted. That is not going to be the deciding factor between the tour breaking even or not, not even close. If it is, the tour should be canceled altogether.
  20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

In my opinion, this is the first season that all of the 13 were capable of touring. In the past, there have always been a couple of people who either 1) couldn't sing, 2) couldn't learn songs, and/or 3) couldn't perform songs. Dropping to the top 10 gives them a chance to drop the dead wood.
  21. BigB08822

I am not making this up:

Next week will.i.am and Fantasia will be on to perform. Will.i.am's song is called
    "Hot Wings" and Fantasia's song is called "Collard Greens and Cornbread." No, this is not a joke...:shuffle:
  22. Allskate

will.i.am. is on again? And Crystal hasn't even had one invitation? That stinks.

Rumor has it next week's theme is Elton John. So much for no themes or no narrow themes.
  23. BigB08822

Are you serious!? That means they outright LIED!!! They promised no more person specific themes, I think using the Dolly Parton night as an example. WTF!? I feel betrayed, I really do.
  24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I've heard that rumor is false... I've heard it's the 80s. And besides, I thought Elton John was done with AI?
  25. BigB08822

Oh I hope you are right!!
  26. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Haven't heard the will.i.am song, but the Fantasia song is one of my favorites off her album. It's really good, and has a nice throwback vibe.
  27. BigB08822

I didn't mean to sound like I was in judgement of the song. The titles were just too funny to be true. I love Fantasia. This is still one of my favorite performance on Idol EVER! It helps with the look on Simon's face:

Fantasia - Bore Me
  28. Allskate

Maybe he needs the money to support his kid. :lol:

Looks like it's official. American Idol tweeted today: "UPDATE: It's official, next week's theme is Elton John songs! And we wish the Rocket Man a very happy 64th birthday today!"

I know some people like Fantasia, but her singing is like nails on a chalkboard to me and I got tired of her doing the same thing so often. After a while, none of it came across as genuine and I'm not sure she ever understood or cared what lyrics she was singing. Probably my least favorite Idol ever.
  29. BigB08822

Well then, Idol lied to all of us. I am really not happy with this.
  30. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Speaking of Pink, has she ever performed on American Idol?? They need to book her stat!
  31. BigB08822

Pink is mega pregnant. I doubt she will be doing much in the way of appearances until after she gives birth. Maybe next year.
  32. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Yep, and then it's TV Theme week with Fraser singing "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs." :lol:
    Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  33. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

:rofl: Sounds like my Super Bowl party menu!;)

I didn't get to see either show this week, so I was a little :confused: when I read that Casey got the one save of the season. Based on his previous performances, I just can't see him meriting that. I guess I'll reserve final judgment until I see the performances, but I have a feeling the producers will regret this later.
  34. BigB08822

The only thing I can be happy about is that with the save being used, if Jacob is somehow eliminated, he is going home!! The producers would probably shit a break if James or Lauren got the boot, though.
  35. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Just saw that Casey fell on Thursday evening backstage and had to be helped up. In addition, he was re-hospitalized for internal bleeding. This does not look good at all. I am beginning to wonder if this guy can even get through the next week alive, let alone the rest of the competition. :(
  36. BigB08822

I don't see how Casey can make it. He shouldn't need so many transfusions. It is obvious that stress and anxiety are giving him major and frequent flare ups. I am assuming they have him on some kind of anti-anxiety for the duration of the competition but he can't be walking around like a zombie all the time. I just don't see how can he go much longer, much less be on tour! Maybe, though, once he is on tour he will settle into things and learn how to handle constant changes. Or maybe I am placing too much emphasis on stress/anxiety.
  37. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I read at TWoP that Stefano had a DUI after his own accident (caused by a drunk driver). Wow.
  38. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yes, it was on Joe's Place about 2 weeks ago. Apparently, it happened last May. He blew a .09 and the charge was reduced.
  39. shan

shan Well-Known Member