American Idol - Top 11.2 (March 30 and 31st)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 30, 2011.

?

Whose Performance Did You Enjoy Tonight (Multiple Choice Allowed)

1. Thia Megia

29.0%
  2. Stefano Langone

14.5%
  3. Scott McCreery

25.8%
  4. Pia Toscano

45.2%
  5. Paul McDonald

9.7%
  6. Naima Adedapo

8.1%
  7. Lauren Alaina

33.9%
  8. James Durbin

54.8%
  9. Jacob Lusk

16.1%
  10. Haley Reinhart

50.0%
  11. Casey Abrams

66.1%
  12. Could You Feel The Love Tonight?

1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Very true. And I'm still kinda :rofl: at "Charlie Chapman?" That probably didn't win her any points with the grown-up fans. I agree that with some grooming she could certainly be a Broadway success.

2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's that big a difference when you look at both Adele's and Ruben's early performances. In any event, I would guess that Thia will have more confidence by the time she's their ages. I just don't see the need to conclude that Thia should give up on a singing career at the ripe old age of 16, which is what rfisher said she should do.

3. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I thought she looked confident & comfortable on Jay Leno.

4. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Thia should be a recording artist, not a performer. I think you either have confidence or you don't. I've seen younger artists have more confidence than Thia.

Maybe the pressure of the competition is off.

5. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Absolutely. I saw some YouTube videos from America's Got Talent with her and it was obvious she's changed since then. And it's been only one year. She is growing up and evolving. Even her voice got better. Now it's just flawless. I think she sang at David Foster's concert/benefit for something. People in the industry are aware of her. I think someone will offer her some kind a deal. Her voice is that exceptional.

I'm one of them. I think his schtick is appalling. And his voice is thin. I wouldn't pay 50 cents to see him in a concert. I would pay to see Thia.

They told Casey to stop growling and her to growl a lot more. Now she can't stop. Her solo in Teenage Dream was horrendous. Too bad, because I think that she does have a nice voice. She just doesn't know what to do with it.

Yep. Btw, he's evolved too. He was touring with Clay last summer and all I can say that Ruben is awesome. His voice is amazing, he has a great personality; sense of humor; he's quick-witted and good at ad-lib. Was it all apparent on Idol? Not really.

ITA. Some people are still trying at 30, and she's only 16. She has a lot of time.

"Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the strawberries knows nothing about grapes." (Paracelsus) :)

I don't think her problem was the lack of confidence. I think her problem was not connecting with the audience.

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Which is precisely why the audience didn't vote for her as opposed to Haley, Pia or Lauren. Nor did they vote for her on AGT. It really doesn't matter how good your voice is if nobody buys your records or attends your concerts. If the audience votes were record sales, she didn't make it. There are loads of extremely talented singers who have washed out as performers. I don't think it's her age. Justin Beiber is younger, not nearly as good a vocalist, and is selling like hotcakes. Taylor Swift doesn't sing nearly as well, or even God forbid, Miley Cyrus who really doesn't sing as well. Yet all three have something that makes tweens and teens shell out $$$$$ for the crap they put out. Thia doesn't have that something. It's too bad, but that's just the way the business works. If I were a producer, I'd think hmmmm....she's had two national TV opportunites and the audience just didn't buy into it. I'd look elsewhere for someone who was going to make me $$$$$. But, then what do I know. :p

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

rfisher you can't seem to let go of this vendetta against her, maybe she has a dog you can run over :p

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Allskate

This is just getting silly. The first couple of weeks of voting, Haley was in the bottom three and Thia wasn't, so clearly more people were voting for Thia than for Haley at that point. Haley didn't suddenly developing an acting ability (and if she did that's proof that you shouldn't assume Thia can't do the same.)

It's just baffling to me that you think that Thia's target audience is the same audience as Justin Bieber's audience and that a failure to appeal to the tweenyboppers is a sign that she should not seek a singing career as an adult? Seriously? :lol:

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I haven't watched since the auditions, so I went and took a look at a bunch of the songs from this week. My favorites were Paul and Naima, by far. Paul's version of Rocket Man would fit easily on the alternative radio station I listen to. I would buy that single. And Naima managed to take a song I can't separate from the goofy video and give it some weight. Too bad it sounds like Naima's gone now - but when I looked at some of her other performances it seems this was the only week she was in tune the whole time :shuffle:

I also really enjoyed Scotty, Pia and Lauren. Casey was eh, hated Haley and Thia. I can't remember any other performances.

10. rfisher

I don't have a vendetta against her. :rofl: I couldn't care less who wins AI or what type of career any of the contestents has. I wouldn't go see any of them or buy their records. I was just responding to replies to my post.

11. rfisher

Paul apparently has quite a following among people who listen to alternative radio from what I gather from some of my students and my hairstylist. In fact, he's the only one the students seem to like.

12. genevieve

Stefano had nice vocals but the arrangement was very muzak-y. James's performance seemed like Adam Lambert-lite. But then I went and watched his Judas Priest performance and HOLEEEE SHIT!!!! That was amazing. :respec:

ETA: Jacob's was the only one I hadn't seen - I love his voice! Also loved his and Naima's performance of Ashford & Simpson's "Solid"

13. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

anyone else think Disney might be checking out Thia? She's the right age, has a decent voice, and looks like a Disney Princess. Gorgeous smile!

14. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

My thought exactly while reading this thread.

My daughter has a tape of all her old favorite Disney musical songs and we listened to it on a long car trip this morning. Thia has a Judy Kuhn-like voice, actually. She's too shy to carry a show like Miley whatsherface but there's a place for her somewhere, I just love her voice.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Thia would fit in perfectly over at Disney but she might be a little too old. I think they would prefer to start with someone with is 13 or 14 so they have more years to work with them. They may fear that while Thia is a perfect age right now, will be she any use to them or want to do the Disney thing when she is 18?

16. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I'm really sorry now that Casey was saved last week. That would have kept either Naima or Thia on the show, at least another week. I find Naima interesting & I think Thia has a beautiful voice & I would like to see her develop. One of them didn't really deserve to go home. And I'm getting tired of the girls always getting the ax.

I keep hoping that vote for the worst will get tired of Paul & quit voting for him. He's the one who deserved to go home. I don't think he would have made the top 13 if he hadn't done Blackbird with Kendra & then ironically she didn't make it. I felt like she carried him on that song. He seems to be a likable guy but his voice is very weak.

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is that why every third post in this thread is yours?

:p

18. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I figured that Paul was still on the show because he's cute and has a nice smile. I had no idea that he was adored by the alt music crowd.

genevieve, look for James' performance of Maybe I'm Amazed. Almost as good as his Judas Priest number, and demonstrating in spades that he isn't just a one trick pony.

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Are you taking prescription narcotics, perhaps? Or maybe I am? Because I must be watching a totally different show. :rofl:

I downloaded James "Baby I'm Amazed" and "Saturday Night." His voice is a little thin when he hits the higher notes, but they are both good recordings. I wish they'd pumped up the guitars on "Saturday Night," though. They're sort of wimpy.

20. genevieve

I started watching Baby I'm Amazed and turned it off halfway :shuffle: I'm not crazy about that song to begin with, and it seemed like a pretty straighforward cover.

21. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Both DH and I love that song but the arrangement was quite different than the original and more modern. If you aren't a fan of the original though, it's unlikely you'd like another version of it. Petty Snark: The title of the song is Maybe I'm Amazed. Nearly every line of the song begins with the word "Maybe".

McCartney released the song on his first solo album after the Beatles split and fans were blaming Linda and Yoko for their breakup. My thoughts at the time were that if Linda could inspire Paul to write a song like that, she had to be doing something right.

22. genevieve

Sorry - was just copying from the post above mine :shuffle:

I was in a dance to the orchestrated version of that and some other McCartney songs a few years ago. I actually liked it better without lyrics.

I'm clearly on the Lennon side of the McCartney/Lennon division :lol:

23. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I never heard much about Linda being part of the break-up. I always heard that she was a very kind person. I did, however, hear that Yoko was a huge problem, for everyone.

Dragonlady and (deleted member) like this.
  24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Idoloonies is up at tvline.

I can't believe Michael is such a Haley fan. I almost couldn't watch that part...the parts he thought were awesome were the parts I hated.

I won't be able to watch tonight, so I need to pull a PeterG request here and tell all you people to list the person and song when you snark tonight. Because it's all about me. :glamor:

;)

25. BigB08822

I don't get the Haley love, either. I think her voice has a lot of potential and she could probably shock a lot of people by putting out some good records because they can do as many takes as they need in the studio. Her live performances are very hard to swallow because she growls her way through every word and somehow people think Casey does it too much. It can not be good for her vocal chords.

26. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I don't understand how ANYONE thought Haley was great last week. The performance was RIDICULOUS. Fake-sexy NEVER works. But I also thought Lauren was bad. She sang "Candle in the Wind" as if she had no freaking clue what it was about, zero connection to the lyrics, etc.

27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm not sure she has any clues on any subject, her sort of sullen vapidity turns me off though her voice isnt bad at all

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. BigB08822

I don't care for all the focus on connecting to lyrics and feeling the song. It seems to have really become front and center this season for some reason. I don't want someone to stand there and look bored to death but no one on this season is losing my vote just because they don't connect. I also think your (general you) idea of connecting to a song may be different than mine. I've always thought Stefano connected and part of that was him closing his eyes and really getting into the song, however so many others see that as a sign he isn't connected. Maybe it is more subjective than we think? Either way, they sing a verse and a chorus and throw in a glory note, they don't really have a chance to connect when the stories are incomplete as it is.

I like Lauren's voice and I loved how she made Candle in the Wind have a country vibe to it while still clearly keeping with the original. I just don't see how you can ignore good vocals and think someone was bad just because you don't think she connected to the song. These are really young people, they don't all have the life experiences or maturity to bring every one to tears. Doesn't mean they are bad or that they can't sing.

29. Allskate

Different strokes for different folks. You don't see why connecting with a song is important. I can't imagine thinking it's unimportant. (And, clearly, not everyone thinks that closing your eyes means you're connecting to a song. Phrasing matters to me.) You don't expect kids to connect to a song. I expect any kid who enters this competition to be judged on the same criteria as everyone else. Lauren entered American Idol, not Toddlers and Tiaras. I really wish they had raised the age requirement, not lowered it. And good vocals clearly are a matter of taste, too. I didn't think that Lauren was a stand out on last week's vocals, and I don't think think she's in a league with Carrie and Kelly. I also don't think her dumb blonde cluelessness is simply a matter of age. But, I'm sure she'll parlay her talent and her Pickleresque personality into a good career. I just won't be among those buying the CD or concert tickets.

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. BigB08822

I never said connecting to the song is not important. I just said I am a little shocked at the importance it has seemed to take on this season, in particular. I also don't think the younger contestants should be judged differently but it should be taken into consideration when it comes to expectations. In the end, there is no "judging" going on here it is all about voting and of course everyone is free to vote for who they want for whatever reasons they want. I don't understand what Kelly and Carrie have to do with Lauren. I never compared her to them. Just because I said she is a good vocalist doesn't mean she is the best to ever be on the show. In other words, you put a lot of words in my mouth.