American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Carrie Underwood

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't warm up to Malaya....

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

she irritates me

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

why?

4. my little pony

i dont really know. her slurry diction is part of it. she's also overly energetic in a way i'm not articulating well at all. she's probably nice, i dont think she's mean or anything.

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was just curious. She irritates me too and I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Its getting harder to eliminate! CJ did better this week but I still find him to be the weak link. Malaya, too, just doesn't impress me most of the time. Her duet with Sam was rough, not a patch off the originals! Jena and Calab are still my faves and I loved Alex's original song. Dexter was great tonight, he's an awesome country singer. Really enjoyed Jessica and Caleb's duet, they did a great cover of that song.

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Jessica - "Blue-Eyed Lie" - great original song & she sounded great. This was her best performance. A-

CJ - "Soulshine" - much much better re singing on key. He was really connected. I loved it. B

Sam - "Lego House" - meh. The singing was ok but no personality behind it. C-

Malaya - "Ain't No Way" - She has a good voice but she is very inconsistent & this song was too big for her. The faces she makes when she sings are very off-putting. C-

Dexter - "One Mississippi -this was the 1st time I've enjoyed Dexter. This is the kind of song he needs to sing, not big anthem songs. He just can't pull them off so he ends up sounding like a karaoke singer. Best he's done. B+

Jena - "Rolling In The Deep" - I wish Jena had auditioned with an original song because I'd like to hear the one from Hollywood week again. But I loved what she did with Rolling in the Deep. Very original. A

Caleb - "Chain of Fools" - he did it well but I guess I'm just tired of him singing all these oldies. He doesn't come off as very current. B

Alex - "Fairytales" - I thought this was a great original song & I loved the way he sang it. A+

Sam & Malaya should be at the bottom with one of them going home. I can't predict who else will be in the bottom. I didn't rate the duets because they were all pretty bad. Jessica's & Caleb's was probably the best; Dexter's & CJ's was the worst.

As an aside - Harry needs to shave. That scruff looks awful.

8. my little pony

i think dexter is creepy. but i think part of it is that i associate his name w a serial killer.

9. my little pony

does the lego co get royalties from lego house?

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

PS: I was fangirling over Alison Iraheto. What a voice! Her record company were idiots for letting her go. They should have given her better material & promoted her better. Her hair is hideous though - the color and the black roots.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Those braces affect her diction I think.

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For me, Malaya has puppy dog enthusiasm, which I find annoying.
    I'm not surprised that Caleb and Jess had the best duet. They're older and have much more performing experience.

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Me too. I like her tone but I rarely like her music choice (too big or too mature for her) & her diction is not pleasing.

In re of a criticism I read, FWIW I don't think Jessica is a Stevie Nicks wannabe. I think she just naturally has that voice.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I like her enthusiasm - the younguns have that it seems. But her braces affect her enunciating.

15. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Can anyone tell me what happened? The result show was pre-empted for a weather report. Apparently Fox thinks a tornado watch is more important that AI.

16. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

So glad the judges saved Sam! Malaya and CJ will be the next two to go. Well maybe Sam, too but here's hoping he will step it up more since he's still in it. What a great voice he has.

17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I find it annoying that they didn't use the save on Majesty, but used in on Sam. Yeah, save the sweet young WGWG even though he's shown virtually no creativity, improvement, or connection to his music and has been overrated since the beginning. I'll be even more annoyed if one of the better singers gets the boot next week because there is no save left.

18. my little pony

am i to believe they keep confetti in the ceiling all the time?

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Ick...I was hoping Sam was the bottom vote-getter. So my wish came true but they saved him?

Allskate, I agree. I thought the save should have been used on Majesty who has TONS more potential than Sam. At least she has a pulse.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Sam was the bottom vote getter? I find that amazing considering he was winning the under 21 vote and those typically dominate in the totals. Maybe the limited voting is really changing things? I watched a few performances last night and Caleb blew me away. I remember reading that he comes off less than ideal but his voice is incredible. I want a duet on a song like he did last night (rock infused soul) with Kelly Clarkson. He is like a male version of her!

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My rankings for Wednesday:

1. Jessica solo - what a way to start the show!

2. Jessica and Caleb - I think Jessica out-performed Caleb?? :huh:

3. Dexter - WTF??? How am I ranking Dexter so high? I hate Dexter!! :lol: But he was as good on Wednesday as he has been with ALL of his previous performances combined

4. Jena solo - hated her version, but the vocal was flawless

5. Sam solo - boring as ****, but a good vocal

6. Jena and Alex - Alright, but not great.

7. CALEB - CHAIN OF FOOLS - STOP YELLING AT US ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!! Harry is right, Caleb just keeps doing the same thing over and over and over. He needs to diversify.

8. Malaya solo - perhaps her worst vocal so far?? :(

9. Alex solo - same as Caleb, he's starting to sound the same week after week

10. Sam and Malaya - they needed more rehearsal time on that one!

11. C.J. solo - really bad... :scream:

12. C.J. and Dexter - in the history of television, has there ever been a more horrifically horrible musical number performed? :yikes:

22. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Agree too.

23. my little pony

different seasons but teen beat got a save and daughtry didnt, if my memory is correct. that's wild.

24. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Didn't Daughtry compete before they had a save option?

25. my little pony

quite possibly but in my head it is going down as a great wrong anyway

26. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Just watched DVR Idol from Wed. PML at Harry (with JLo right next to him) telling CJ the reason he tells him to work on pitch is because if/when he gets a record contract, if he's not in tune the record company will autotune him 'and suck the life out of your voice'!!! :lol:

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think Malaya is very much a free spirit and unfiltered. We've all been taught to "behave" in various ways throughout our lives and for those of us who found those "life lessons" to be too restrictive can feel irritated when someone crosses our path who totally rejected all those "rules". Not sure if this is true for any of us, but I'm sure there are a lot of viewers who are put off by Malaya for this reason.

28. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I like Malaya, and for 16 I find her music skills and vocal abilities pretty sound. Maybe I just identify with nerds too much? :shuffle:

:blah: to the judges for saving Sam though. I think they feared the ratings might tank farther if they tween-heartthrob was eliminated though. He's a cute kid, very marketable, but his music screams coffeehouse not ampitheatre.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I STILL think she'll be a better singer when those stinking braces come off.

They saved Sam...you gotta love the teen idol demographic.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The teenage demographic drives the music industry, on every level; so, it's little wonder he was saved!