American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Carrie Underwood

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He still comes across as an asshole to me, sorry. Can't speak for Keith, as I'm not familiar with his music, but I cringe when JLo criticizes a singer's vocal abilities when she doesn't really have any her damn self.

2. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

This is what I appreciate about Keith: he pays attention when singers perform, whether the singers are contestants or others brought in on results night. It bothers me to see the judges chatting throughout the performances (Harry is the worst in this regard); I find it rude and offputting.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i forget who it, was but keith and j lo chatted during one of the performances this wk then both gave very nondescript feedback.

4. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Well you and I must have hearing different things because I just watched it back and he wasn't out of tune ever to my ears. He kind of does something similar to Neil Young where he slides down or up into certain notes and phrases. But I wouldn't consider that out of tune. Thought he sang fantastic live. A hell of a lot better then Candice who WAS out of tune.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

There must be something wrong with the "in ears" this year. I don't remember Candice singing out of tune during her season.

6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Something just seems to be off with the sound in general. Perhaps they have new audio folks, but the sound mix doesn't seem right.

7. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I discovered Philip Philipps (really ?!) and I really liked his "home" song a lot.

8. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Agreed. They all seem to be having trouble. Candice singing out of tune I agree is proof of it. I don't pay that much attention to these things but the stage design seems different. The band seems in a different position.

9. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Really? Even more than Cassadee and Danielle? Lee and Cassadee the worst winners evah!

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Wikipedia says Cassadee's album has sold 162,000 copies. So she has passed DeWyze. Plus Cassadee's label has finally released a second single from her album: I Wish I Could Break Your Heart

Danielle Bradbery's album (according to Wikipedia) has sold 122,000 copies. So less than DeWyze's sales, but her album was only released in November. Normally I would say that her album has more life in it, but the first single from Danielle's album was released back in July of 2013 ("The Heart of Dixie")...and they haven't released a second single. If her record company believed in her, Bradbery should be on her third, maybe even fourth single by now. So I fear they've dropped her like a hot potato. :( She will be a special guest on Hunter Hayes' tour starting this month, so maybe another single will be released soon?

11. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I find it utterly bizarre that The Voice contestants so far seem to tank in record sales behind Idol. Even though the ratings are much better for the Voice which I don't watch regularly. I don't know why it is bizarre as both shows have fan voting formats. But I have a feeling that The Voice skews to a larger older demographic generally. And some of those in the older demographic may just appreciate the show but not necessarily want to buy the records.

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I agree with you. I'm at work and can't research it right now, but I believe the 10-13 demographic purchases the most music and is more likely to purchase the whole album. By the time the kids are done spending their allowances, that probably doesn't leave much for mom and dad's purchases.

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I buy a lot of music but I seldom buy the whole album anymore unless it's a greatest hits album or if there are at least 5 or more songs I want. Most albums only have a couple of good songs & those I download as singles. Not being able to afford the album has nothing to do with it but I don't have kids anyway. Do 10-13 yr olds really buy albums?

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Bieber, One Direction, Selena Gomez, Disney soundtracks, yup.

15. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I didn't mean to imply they can't afford it. It just for whatever reason, it doesn't interest the older demographic to purchase the music. I guess there are several reasons. I agree that not all songs on all albums in general ,AI/The Voice or not ,are worth downloading and I do cherry pick songs. I just think by the time the album comes out it's not necessarily on people's radar. I am sure though that the voting for AI is mostly young and their contestants are pretty young overall this year. I mean that goes without saying as their age limit is 29. but there are a few teens on there. Anyway I personally have purchased only some idol music. Kelly, Carrie, David Cook and will probably buy Philip Phillips.

But having said that haven't mostly young contestants won on the Voice too.

16. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The 1st 2 Voice winners - Javier & Jermaine weren't very young. I think both were about 28-29. But their problem is that they don't make music that appeals to very many people.

17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't find it bizarre. The average Idol winner does more performances over the course of the season than the average Voice winner. Sometimes weeks go by on the Voice when we don't see a contestant. Plus, although the Voice has been adding more sob stories, Idol is still generally more personality driven. The voting system for Idol gets contestants more engaged and I think viewers get more emotionally invested in the Idol contestants. I think some of the votes for Voice contestants are actually votes for the mentors, especially with Blake.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I loved MK's number.

19. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Much better tonight! So many great performances! My fave was Calab tonight, what a voice he has, hits every note. Jena was great, too, so hoping she isn't in the bottom three again.

20. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Me too. I wanted to buy it but it's not up on iTunes yet. I loved Caleb's too. Tonight was so much better than last week. This is my ranking, best to worst:

Caleb
    CJ/Majesty
    MK/Jena
    Jessica
    Malaya
    Sam
    Dexter
    Alex
    Ben

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I only watched my two faves tonight as it's bedtime. Will watch the rest of the show tomorrow. Was a little let down by Caleb and mk. Caleb is such a powerhouse, but the way he performed Skyfall...he needed to do more with the limited melody of the first part of the song. Adele wove so much character into the original, Caleb sounded almost monotone. Powerful conclusion, though. mk chose well with a ballad, her strong suit. She should have stuck to an acoustic version, maybe with just one person on stage playing the guitar with her. She did well, but fell off the melody a few times. She looks uncomfortable, like everyone is throwing their opinions at her and the cup is overflowing and spilling all over the place. Where she shines is with beautiful ballads in a simple setting and they're pushing her to do so much more than that and it's just WAY too much!

22. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

To me it was
    Jena (so glad she had a good night. I think she should be top 2 but she won't)
    Alex (his dorky awkwardness but incredible artistry is so compelling. I loves him)
    Caleb ( his voice is astounding. And he ,mixed it up tonight I thought. He also needs to be more emotionally engaged.)

CJ( best he has been. This is his sound, he shouldn't stray from it at all)

the rest.

The girls were weak over all tonight.I didn't get the love for Malaya. She was out of tune for half if not more of her song. She will be great some day but her voice ain't there yet for that kind of song. And I love Majesty but that song swallowed her alive. MK was lovely but just there isn't enough there to win this competition. But I like her voice and would like to see her achieve some success.

Sam was pretty weak but there is something there.
    Ben was a WTF
    Dexter was boring karaoke although he sang well
    Jessica was cool but she has to deliver emotionally with songs like that and she just seems so emotionally checked out. I think the band overwhelms her.

Bottom three should be Ben, Dexter and Malaya(or Majesty) But I would be fine with Jessica and MK.

Going home. Probably MK but think it should be Dexter.

23. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Majesty was horrible and I don't use that word lightly. The judges seemed almost scared to say anything negative about that mess. It seemed like they weren't impressed but they were tiptoeing around her critique. That said, Ben was even worse.

24. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

The TVLine poll has 1. Jena, 2. Caleb, 3. Alex, 4. CJ, 5. MK, 6. Jessica, 7. Malaya, 8. Sam, 9. Majesty, 10. Ben, 11. Dexter

The mjsbigblog poll has 1. Jena, 2. Caleb, 3. Alex and CJ, 5. Malaya and Jessica, 7. MK, 8. Sam, 9. Majesty, 10. Dexter, 11. Ben

I kind of home Ben or Dexter go because I feel like Sam or Majesty would get saved anyway and it would be a waste. I still feel like there's dead weight to cut (Sam and Majesty among that dead weight, but the judges probably don't see it that way yet). I'm worried about Jessica and MK also tonight, fanbases could see them in the bottom 3 even though they were far from the worst...and I know MK would not get saved. *Maybe* for Jessica but I hate to even take the chance.

25. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I would not miss:

Dexter - country kareoke
    Ben - no star power
    Sam - too bland
    Malaya - too hyper
    Alex - I'm not sure Alex can be coached he is so entrenched in doing his own thing but there are probably some indie fans who like his style

With potential:
    MK
    Majesty
    Jessica

Needs some tweaks but mostly ready:
    Jena
    CJ
    Caleb

Caleb needs to go the Daughtry route & front a band. CJ will never be big but he could do ok on the blues circuit. He needs more consistency. I think Jena has the most potential if someone promotes her right. I like her original music plus she is a musician so she understands the technical side. Her age is a plus. Right now I want Jena & Caleb in the finale.

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I finally got to watch the performances. It amazes me that the new contestants don't do more homework. Ben should have stayed far, far away from that song as the definitive version was done by Hayley Reinhart.

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Frankly, I've heard Harry sound a lot better vocally. But everything else is spot-on and charming.

28. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I thought the sound problems continued tonight, especially while Harry was playing the piano. The orchestra drowned out his voice at times.

29. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I've been wondering how Dexter is staying out of bottom 3. Who is voting for him? I just think he's generic & karaoke. But I got one of my wishes - Ben went home. I would have preferred Dexter but you can't have everything.

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Finally finished watching all of Wednesday's show. I was too hard on Caleb and mk. I just have really high expectations for both of them. I love them both so much that I am going to make a point to see if the Idols live show comes to Vancouver and I'm going to go to it. I saw the Idols concert the year of Adam Lambert and I really enjoyed it. I think I'll also enjoy seeing Jessica and Malaya live, too. :respec:

So...my rankings:

1. Jena - Decode. Are we watching American Idol or the Grammy Awards? That ranks with pretty much anything you could see on any major awards show. Wow!

2. Alex - Falling Slowly. I've said that I'm not a fan of Alex before, but every week, he pulls me in more and more. He is consistently doing well and with this song choice, I had him in first place until Jena rocked the stage.

3. Caleb - Skyfall. My pick to win this season. Or to be the one who should have won.

4. Jessica Meuse - The Sounds of Silence. Some vocal glitches, but still a pretty good performance.

5. mk nobilette - To Make You Feel My Love. I agree with Harry that she added too many runs. And the producers or whoever or over-doing it with her makeover. But I just adore her beautiful voice.

6. Malaya - I Am Changing. Some good stuff, but numerous problems as well. I agree that this song is too big for her. At least at this time. In 10 years, I bet she will be doing flawless versions of big, big songs like this one.

7. Dexter - Sweet Home Alabama. Could somebody please take this kid to K-Mart and buy him a personality? He's an amazing bar singer. It just that zero personality thing standing in his way...

8. Sam - Come Together. Suffered in the voting with being the first performer. Not a bad vocal, but this child has no idea what he is singing about. Poor oblivious boy! :(

9. C.J. Harris - Can't You See. :confused: about the song choice. He's fine. Just never need to hear this song again.

10. Ben - Benny and the Jets. WTF?

11. Majesty - Let It Go. One of the worst performances on American Idol ever. What a mess!!! :eek: