American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Carrie Underwood

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I find it utterly bizarre that The Voice contestants so far seem to tank in record sales behind Idol. Even though the ratings are much better for the Voice which I don't watch regularly. I don't know why it is bizarre as both shows have fan voting formats. But I have a feeling that The Voice skews to a larger older demographic generally. And some of those in the older demographic may just appreciate the show but not necessarily want to buy the records.
  2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I agree with you. I'm at work and can't research it right now, but I believe the 10-13 demographic purchases the most music and is more likely to purchase the whole album. By the time the kids are done spending their allowances, that probably doesn't leave much for mom and dad's purchases.
  3. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I buy a lot of music but I seldom buy the whole album anymore unless it's a greatest hits album or if there are at least 5 or more songs I want. Most albums only have a couple of good songs & those I download as singles. Not being able to afford the album has nothing to do with it but I don't have kids anyway. Do 10-13 yr olds really buy albums?
  4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Bieber, One Direction, Selena Gomez, Disney soundtracks, yup.
  5. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I didn't mean to imply they can't afford it. It just for whatever reason, it doesn't interest the older demographic to purchase the music. I guess there are several reasons. I agree that not all songs on all albums in general ,AI/The Voice or not ,are worth downloading and I do cherry pick songs. I just think by the time the album comes out it's not necessarily on people's radar. I am sure though that the voting for AI is mostly young and their contestants are pretty young overall this year. I mean that goes without saying as their age limit is 29. but there are a few teens on there. Anyway I personally have purchased only some idol music. Kelly, Carrie, David Cook and will probably buy Philip Phillips.

But having said that haven't mostly young contestants won on the Voice too.
  6. taf2002

The 1st 2 Voice winners - Javier & Jermaine weren't very young. I think both were about 28-29. But their problem is that they don't make music that appeals to very many people.
  7. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't find it bizarre. The average Idol winner does more performances over the course of the season than the average Voice winner. Sometimes weeks go by on the Voice when we don't see a contestant. Plus, although the Voice has been adding more sob stories, Idol is still generally more personality driven. The voting system for Idol gets contestants more engaged and I think viewers get more emotionally invested in the Idol contestants. I think some of the votes for Voice contestants are actually votes for the mentors, especially with Blake.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I loved MK's number.
  9. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Much better tonight! So many great performances! My fave was Calab tonight, what a voice he has, hits every note. Jena was great, too, so hoping she isn't in the bottom three again.
  10. taf2002

Me too. I wanted to buy it but it's not up on iTunes yet. I loved Caleb's too. Tonight was so much better than last week. This is my ranking, best to worst:

Caleb
    CJ/Majesty
    MK/Jena
    Jessica
    Malaya
    Sam
    Dexter
    Alex
    Ben
  11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I only watched my two faves tonight as it's bedtime. Will watch the rest of the show tomorrow. Was a little let down by Caleb and mk. Caleb is such a powerhouse, but the way he performed Skyfall...he needed to do more with the limited melody of the first part of the song. Adele wove so much character into the original, Caleb sounded almost monotone. Powerful conclusion, though. mk chose well with a ballad, her strong suit. She should have stuck to an acoustic version, maybe with just one person on stage playing the guitar with her. She did well, but fell off the melody a few times. She looks uncomfortable, like everyone is throwing their opinions at her and the cup is overflowing and spilling all over the place. Where she shines is with beautiful ballads in a simple setting and they're pushing her to do so much more than that and it's just WAY too much!
  12. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

To me it was
    Jena (so glad she had a good night. I think she should be top 2 but she won't)
    Alex (his dorky awkwardness but incredible artistry is so compelling. I loves him)
    Caleb ( his voice is astounding. And he ,mixed it up tonight I thought. He also needs to be more emotionally engaged.)

CJ( best he has been. This is his sound, he shouldn't stray from it at all)

the rest.

The girls were weak over all tonight.I didn't get the love for Malaya. She was out of tune for half if not more of her song. She will be great some day but her voice ain't there yet for that kind of song. And I love Majesty but that song swallowed her alive. MK was lovely but just there isn't enough there to win this competition. But I like her voice and would like to see her achieve some success.

Sam was pretty weak but there is something there.
    Ben was a WTF
    Dexter was boring karaoke although he sang well
    Jessica was cool but she has to deliver emotionally with songs like that and she just seems so emotionally checked out. I think the band overwhelms her.

Bottom three should be Ben, Dexter and Malaya(or Majesty) But I would be fine with Jessica and MK.

Going home. Probably MK but think it should be Dexter.
  13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Majesty was horrible and I don't use that word lightly. The judges seemed almost scared to say anything negative about that mess. It seemed like they weren't impressed but they were tiptoeing around her critique. That said, Ben was even worse.
  14. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

The TVLine poll has 1. Jena, 2. Caleb, 3. Alex, 4. CJ, 5. MK, 6. Jessica, 7. Malaya, 8. Sam, 9. Majesty, 10. Ben, 11. Dexter

The mjsbigblog poll has 1. Jena, 2. Caleb, 3. Alex and CJ, 5. Malaya and Jessica, 7. MK, 8. Sam, 9. Majesty, 10. Dexter, 11. Ben

I kind of home Ben or Dexter go because I feel like Sam or Majesty would get saved anyway and it would be a waste. I still feel like there's dead weight to cut (Sam and Majesty among that dead weight, but the judges probably don't see it that way yet). I'm worried about Jessica and MK also tonight, fanbases could see them in the bottom 3 even though they were far from the worst...and I know MK would not get saved. *Maybe* for Jessica but I hate to even take the chance.
  15. taf2002

I would not miss:

Dexter - country kareoke
    Ben - no star power
    Sam - too bland
    Malaya - too hyper
    Alex - I'm not sure Alex can be coached he is so entrenched in doing his own thing but there are probably some indie fans who like his style

With potential:
    MK
    Majesty
    Jessica

Needs some tweaks but mostly ready:
    Jena
    CJ
    Caleb

Caleb needs to go the Daughtry route & front a band. CJ will never be big but he could do ok on the blues circuit. He needs more consistency. I think Jena has the most potential if someone promotes her right. I like her original music plus she is a musician so she understands the technical side. Her age is a plus. Right now I want Jena & Caleb in the finale.
  16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I finally got to watch the performances. It amazes me that the new contestants don't do more homework. Ben should have stayed far, far away from that song as the definitive version was done by Hayley Reinhart.
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Frankly, I've heard Harry sound a lot better vocally. But everything else is spot-on and charming.
  18. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

I thought the sound problems continued tonight, especially while Harry was playing the piano. The orchestra drowned out his voice at times.
  19. taf2002

I've been wondering how Dexter is staying out of bottom 3. Who is voting for him? I just think he's generic & karaoke. But I got one of my wishes - Ben went home. I would have preferred Dexter but you can't have everything.
  20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Finally finished watching all of Wednesday's show. I was too hard on Caleb and mk. I just have really high expectations for both of them. I love them both so much that I am going to make a point to see if the Idols live show comes to Vancouver and I'm going to go to it. I saw the Idols concert the year of Adam Lambert and I really enjoyed it. I think I'll also enjoy seeing Jessica and Malaya live, too. :respec:

So...my rankings:

1. Jena - Decode. Are we watching American Idol or the Grammy Awards? That ranks with pretty much anything you could see on any major awards show. Wow!

2. Alex - Falling Slowly. I've said that I'm not a fan of Alex before, but every week, he pulls me in more and more. He is consistently doing well and with this song choice, I had him in first place until Jena rocked the stage.

3. Caleb - Skyfall. My pick to win this season. Or to be the one who should have won.

4. Jessica Meuse - The Sounds of Silence. Some vocal glitches, but still a pretty good performance.

5. mk nobilette - To Make You Feel My Love. I agree with Harry that she added too many runs. And the producers or whoever or over-doing it with her makeover. But I just adore her beautiful voice.

6. Malaya - I Am Changing. Some good stuff, but numerous problems as well. I agree that this song is too big for her. At least at this time. In 10 years, I bet she will be doing flawless versions of big, big songs like this one.

7. Dexter - Sweet Home Alabama. Could somebody please take this kid to K-Mart and buy him a personality? He's an amazing bar singer. It just that zero personality thing standing in his way...

8. Sam - Come Together. Suffered in the voting with being the first performer. Not a bad vocal, but this child has no idea what he is singing about. Poor oblivious boy! :(

9. C.J. Harris - Can't You See. :confused: about the song choice. He's fine. Just never need to hear this song again.

10. Ben - Benny and the Jets. WTF?

11. Majesty - Let It Go. One of the worst performances on American Idol ever. What a mess!!! :eek:
  21. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Me too. Ben has more personality and talent. But Dexter has those puppies. Plus he is the good ole southern boy. He is totally vanilla. but lots of people like it because it's safe. Thought last night America got it right in the voting. Ben wasn't going to win anyway. At best, I saw him top five and that is reaching.
  22. taf2002

Booooo PeterG. Your recap was pretty good until you got to CJ. IMO that was his best performance. Maybe you just don't like southern R&B/rock.
  23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol: I probably should have put C.J. higher as his vocal was pretty flawless. I just didn't think it was a great song. The American public seems to agree with me, because that song never went higher than #108 on the American pop charts.
  24. taf2002

Thank you. I feel so much better now. :D
  25. ~tapdancer~

My bottom three tonight was CJ, MK, and Majesty. Of those CJ didn't bring it tonight, he was off key the whole song. My fave by far was Alex. He hits every note perfectly. He just gets better and better. Love Caleb but tonight wasn't his best. Jena, Jessica, and Malaya were all good, Dexter was ok, and Sam was much better than last week, We Are Young was a good song choice for him.

I think CJ should go but I'm betting it will be MK this time.
  26. taf2002

My bottom three always includes Dexter. I think he is lacking any star power or originality. I love CJ but he was pretty bad tonight. I would tie MK & Sam. They are trying but they are both just so bland. I see regression in both of them. CJ is so inconsistent. I thought he was great last week so that may keep him out of the bottom. I'm really ready for Dexter to go but he is the only true country singer so I think that is what is keeping him in.

My favorites tonight were Alex, Jena, & Jessica. Majesty was better than last week & so was Malaya but that was the wrong song for Caleb. He didn't suck but it wasn't his usual great job.
  27. Sally1214

Sally1214 New Member

Wow, you and I couldn't be more on the same page. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I wish Jessica would actually LISTEN to the judges when they tell her to think about the lyrics she's singing and emote more. I think she has a really good voice but she does seem to be disconnected from the lyrics every week. Singing Pumped Up Kicks with a sweet smile on your face the whole time? Ah....no.

Dexter needs to enunciate more clearly and put some energy into his performances. He's becoming boring.

I was really surprised by Mylaeh's performance. She was very, very good. Jessica could take some notes from her on how to deliver lyrics with feeling.

Alex is definitely the dark horse in this competition, IMO. He's not showy but he's consistently good. I love his crystal clear voice; and, like you say, he's always pitch perfect. Slightly quirky but that works for me too. Definitely the best of the night by far.

I'd have the same bottom 3. Also have the feeling that MK will go home. She really messed up.
  28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It's interesting that the American Idol youtube page doesn't have links for either Sam Woolf or Dexter Roberts for last night's performances.

My rankings:

1. Alex Preston - The Story of My Life - Wow, like I said last week, I was never a fan of Alex. But he keeps not only picking songs that I love, but doing them so flawlessly. I noticed this week that he is only 20 years old. I thought he was so good he must be about 27!

2. Malaya Watson - When I Was Your Man - A very passionate performance, loved it. A few vocal problems, though.

3. Jessica Meuse - Pumped Up Kicks - A pretty good performance, but another one where judge's past advice came into play when it should have been ignored. "You should smile more". Yes, I agree but Jessica picked the wrong time (song) to connect with the audience through smiling.

4. Caleb Johnson - Edge Of Glory - He's always great, but I agree that arrangement was slowed down too much.

5. Majesty Rose - Wake Me Up - I thought this was pretty good. I think maybe last week's bottom three placement meant there were too many nerves present during this performance though.

6. Jena - Clarity - I liked this better on TV than listening to the audio only. She sounds too shrill too often.

7. Sam Woolf - We Are Young - Pretty good, but Lord, this dude is boring!! :lol:

8. C. J. Harris - Invisible - Weird. I really liked this performance live last night. I thought everyone's complaints about pitch were very :confused: But listening to the audio only now, I hear how he was off. I guess I got into his emotional delivery last night and ignored the vocal problems. Too bad, I had him tied for second place on the initial viewing.

9. mk nobilette - Perfect - Listening to this on youtube without any visuals (I'm typing here)...the backing vocalist does not mesh at all with mk. I wonder if that threw her off, it doesn't sound good and if you eliminated that other vocalist the performance would have been much better. Plus mk was reaching out to the audience and I think that might have played a part in forgetting the lyrics, she distracted herself. I think she did this based on the judges critique of being more outgoing and reaching out to the audience. Sometimes I think contestants need to smile at the judges advice...and then ignore it.

10. Dexter Roberts - Cruise - The production around him was really big and loud. Lucky for him because after a decent start, his vocals were REALLY bad. Dexter is changing his look some so he looks almost presentable instead of looking from he dropped by the studio after training dogs in the dirt all day long. But he is even more boring than Sam. (Well, maybe it's a tie...)
  29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I honestly think that Malaya's braces are affecting her singing, especially her enunciation.
  30. taf2002

It's going to take a lot for me to warm up to Malaya. She has a good voice but she's like a puppy on speed & she has a lot of technique issues.

On the other side, Sam & MK seem like they are on Valium. They both have sweet voices but they are just too bland & sleepy.

CJ has the passion & the believability & the likeability but he doesn't have the technique. Someone better than Randy needs to work with him because I can see myself buying his music.

Dexter just is so country bar generic, it's a surprise to me that he was in the top 15 men.

Majesty is too hit & miss. I don't think the cluster f*** that was Let It Go would have happened if they had a decent mentor. She was my fav but unless she starts getting some good advice she won't last.

I like Jessica but I probably wouldn't buy her music. She sounds like Joan Baez to me with a little too much vibrato.

I expect Caleb & Alex & Jena to be the last 3. They are pretty consistent & they don't have as many vocal issues plus Alex & Jena are song-writers & musicians which I think helps their singing. All three make it easy to know what kind of music they would put out.

If Jena wins, would she be the first wild card to win? Or if she is 2nd, would she be the 1st wild card to be in the finale?
  31. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Clay was a wild card.
  32. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think I liked Sam singing this better than Nate Ruess. Ruess can sometimes sing too high and nasally for my liking. Sam did it in a lower key, so it was much more listenable than the original for me.

mk sang first (often the kiss of death) and forgot some of the lyrics (and no one else did). Usually voters are unforgiving for contestants who forget lyrics. And mk has been in the bottom three twice already. So I fear this is her week to go. Oh well, she gets to go on the tour, so I'm happy for her about that.

Those who have been in the bottom three so far:

Malaya - Feb. 27th
    Gena – March 6th
    Sam – March 13th
    Majesty – March 13th
    Mk – Feb. 27th and March 6th

Those who have never been in the bottom three:

Alex
    C.J.
    Caleb
    Dexter
    Jessica
  33. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i cannot roll my eyes hard enough over i luh you papi

or the fact that she sings worse than the worst contestant on the show, but insists on keeping on
  34. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm cringing right about now, but I can't look away. :yikes:
  35. Alixana

Damn, thought I got home late enough to miss the results show but there it is on the PVR. :lol:
  36. Alixana

JLo .. lip synch or not?? I vote yes -- considering that the volume doesn't vary when she moves away from the microphone. :lol:
  37. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think it is cute that you are giving her the benefit of the doubt. of course she isnt really singing.
  38. Alixana

Somewhere in my heart there is a tiny ray of hope that someone, somewhere (aside from these poor contestants) actually sings live. Sigh. ;)
  39. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

MK is on her way out...
  40. ~tapdancer~

Yes, it was MK. She had her moments but her singing is weak. I agree the top three will be Alex, Jena and Caleb. I like Jessica's voice, she needs to sing a Stevie Nicks song.

CJ is a good performer but he just doesn't have the musicality in his voice. Sam has a very nice voice but he's just so stiff performance wise.