American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Carrie Underwood

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Some of my favourites from last week:

Majesty Rose: "One Two Three Four"

Spencer Lloyd: Say Something

Keri Lynn Roche - "Radioactive" and "I'd Rather Go Blind"

I liked Spencer a little less during the group day as he seemed a bit smug and diva-ish. He has the ability to hide that well, because nobody called him on it.

The group day lets the judges (and producers, probably) see which kids play well with others. Although this is a soloist competion, you want contestants who work well with each other...and can do so quickly and efficiently. A large group of people need to work together to bring as many as thirty new songs to this show every week. You need people who are quick and who are co-operative. Group day gets rid of the indecisive, the weak and the divas. Plus it gets rid of the stupid. Everybody knows there is a group day. When you're auditioning six months before group day, you should be reaching out to people and planning your group right then. Anyone who waits for the "okay everybody, find a group for tomorrow's group day!" announcement is terminally docile and has no right to stay another day.

That is all. :lol:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be waiting until the announcement, but maybe some people are afraid they'll jinx themselves if they plan too far in advance. :)

3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

And what if they plan in advance & then their group members get cut? Or sick?

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Back-up plan B.

Back-up plan C.

Back-up plan D.

Do you want to win this season or what, taf???

:p

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I still remember Ruben Studdard saying that he made sure he learned the words to the Top 10 from every year from 1964 through 2000 before hitting Hollywood. Sure, he already knew a lot of the songs, but they didn't call him "human jukebox" for nothing.

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Now this is something you can plan in advance & very smart. So many of the contestants get there & know the words to so few songs, even current ones. I still like the groups put together by the producers after there is more people cut. There was still too many marginal ones left for group round. If more of the deadwood was cut it wouldn't matter so much who was in your group. Maybe they could just pull names out of a box or something.

7. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

It looks like Nikki McKibbin's son got cut before Hollywood. I thought they would put him through to make a story out of it. But, I'm glad the judges made that decision.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  8. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what AI's definition of "limited voting" means. Is 500 votes per system the limit? :lol:

That's why I like how Dancing w/Stars voting works. I call in my 10 (or whatever) votes, and the system cuts me off when I hit 11. I don't even bother counting, I just keep calling until it tells me I used up all my votes. Hopefully that is how AI will work. I might even considering voting if it works that way. I don't even bother voting now because I'm not going to call for 2 straight hours like a lot of tweenagers do, so why bother voting in my handful of votes I might make while watching my 10p show then off to bed. :p

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

New American Idol Producers Freshen Up The Song List, Allison Iraheta Joins as Backup Singer

Guess what, kids? When your career fails, you can come back to the show that made you a failure...as a back-up singer to kids who just might have a real career! Okay, so I get Iraheta wanting a paying gig. Gotta pay the bills, right? But WHY would the producers bring back a fellow contestant (one that made the top three!) which shows that American Idol can't provide most people with a career? (Or the career that they hoped to have.) Weird decision on the producers part... :confused:

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

12. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I really liked most of these people but I have to admit I have a soft spot for the "Alabama boys". They are all so cute & I love how they support each other. I like the girl with the pink streak a lot - is that Jessica Meuse? I don't think she is diva-like or a bitch even though they are trying to give her that edit. And Maurice & Sam are 2 of my favs.

As for MK, I don't care about her sexual orientation but what does that have to do with making yourself as unattractive as possible? Her clothes - ick. And people who wear their gimme caps backwards never have my vote. BTW, what was the deal with her bloody nose? Was she in a fight?

There are a couple of people I don't think belong in the top 30. That blonde girl who was one of the last to go thru & the one who is a nurse for the women & the 2 who were tied at the end plus that 15yr old shouldn't be there either IMO.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  13. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I was shocked that they didn't send Savion through. Big mistake IMO, given they sent that 20 yr old kid through who was just OK and a 15 yr old kid as well. I thought most of the girls were good but there was a girl that was kind of Joss Stone like that IMO should have made it. But I get that some of these are going through because they will get votes based on their personalities or youth. I also don't understand what the deal is with the top 15 if some of them won't even get to sing on the live show. What's the point of that. Seems pretty cruel and just for drama.

As for who of those last two is going through of the guys, It should be the country dude IMO. To me he just has more going on and is a lot better then that Casey guy they already sent through. However, i am thrilled at their being so many musicians and songwriters. They are really still putting so many contestants at a disadvantage when they don't get much coverage during the audition rounds compared to some. Much better this year but still those with the story have a better shot.

I don't think Jessica is getting the diva/bitch edit at all. I think it was pretty clear she was pretty gracious given what that crazy stage Mom was doing. She is not a giddy pretty girl like the rest but I like her dryness. She won't win but I am guessing she goes through by America votes.

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree. People who were paying attention when the stage mom from hell was going off would have noticed that Jessica was trying to keep her mouth shut. I think the producers had a hand in that dismissal. Could you imagine that mother being around for the live shows?

15. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I forgot about Majesty Rose. She is one of my top 2 or 3. She is so cute besides.

16. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

A number of the top 30 are forgettable at best. IMO, some of them were weak or bad. Personality and looks were obvious reasons some of them were chosen, but I couldn't figure out why they chose a few of them. And, yeah, some good ones, like Keri Lynn, got sent home. Overall, the decisions had me scratching my head quite a bit. But, maybe I'm in the minority. Malaya can't get off my tv soon enough. I can't stand her singing, but she's one of PeterG's favorites!

Overall, I thought the girls were better than the boys. But, I'm guessing a cute guy playing a guitar (or keyboards) will win.

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

WGWG for the win!

18. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Funny, I like more boys than girls. (Story of my life ;) )

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My favourite of the Thursday show was Caleb Johnson who sang Radioactive. But I was a bit :fragile: when Harry said that he was kind of Rock of Ages. Because he has a point. Last year Caleb had the short hair and dinner jacket and didn't get through, so he switched up his image. He really puts his all into it, but maybe is still exploring and hasn't hit on something that really works for him. But he's a powerhouse vocalist, so I'm glad he got through. Plus with the AI backstage people, they'll be able to help him a lot with the image side of things. He's already willing to explore, which is a big plus.

I like Jessica as well and they gave her a bit of a bad edit. Luckily she didn't give them much to work with. There was one shot of her giving a bit of a death glare. That shot made me wonder if people would start disliking her, it made her look a bit like the mean girl.

As for mk, some people embrace a counter-culture way of living. Living a minimal life, using only what you need and not taking more than that. Plus it's a rebellion against the impossible standards the beauty industry puts out there for females to live up to. So some women choose to go in the opposite direction, focussing on who they are as a person (and as an artist in this case) and not on how "pretty" they are.

I had forgotten Savion's performances. Here is his first audition and his final day performance. I agree that they made a mistake not putting him through. But often I think they hold people back a year to give them time to work on things that might make them win the next year. Candice Glove is a good example of this. We will definitely see more of Savion later.

As for some who won't get to sing on the live show, I think that's going to be based on all of the interactions the AI people have with the contestants between their being chosen up until the live shows. Specifically, who is growing, who is open to help, who is handling pressure well, who is most prepared, who has good ideas, who works well with others, who is punctual and who is always late, who has a good stage Mom and who has a stage Mom from Hell. They are all being judged still and those who fill the bill on all the things I've mentioned (and probably a lot more). Some will fail on a lot of these things and they will not get to sing live. Which I think is good, let those who are hungriest for this go on and let the slackers fall by the wayside.

I didn't like the final twist pitting Ben Briley vs. Neco Starr. They are just so different. And America always votes for the WGWG, so no wonder Neco looked so miserable. It would have been better to put the two Alabama guys against each other (Casey and C.J. I think their names are). Better yet, Casey vs. Ben as they're basically the same person. Actually Ben is much better than Casey, but they do have a lot of similarities.

20. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

It wasn't about her bringing the pretty or not. If she was goth or covered with tattoos or something like that, that would be one thing. But how is making yourself unnecessarily unattractive a statement? Maybe I'm prejudiced because of the turned around ball-cap. Every time I see someone do that I want to punch them, especially Tony Romo who is old enough to know better. Have you ever see one person who looked cool wearing their cap like that? As for the jacket she wore on the judgement day, did she search for the most hideous one she could find? I've never seen anything like it in any store I've been in.

I would have cut both guys. I thought they were both marginal at best. They sent home better than those 2 IMO.

21. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I would have chosen Lisa Guerrero (the punk/goth chick) over the nurse. Nurse is a bland country singer. I hope Neco Starr wins over Ben. I knew about this twist beforehand, but forgot about it b/c of the Olympics. I watched Hollywood week days after it aired, so it was too late for me to vote. Wednesday, I'll vote by watching the recap at the end. It's ladies short on the Olympics, so I won't be watching Wednesday AI until several days later.

22. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I was surprised that I enjoyed the 1st night of rush week so much. Ten girls out of the 15 sang & some of them were really good. And the feedback was great. Even JLo gave some negative but helpful critique to some of her favorites, namely Marrielle, Bria, & Brianna. I loved seeing Daughtry & Adam Lambert, they were great coaches & surprise, surprise, Randy wasn't too annoying.

My rankings:

1. Majesty Rose - "Happy" she looked really pretty & relaxed, no visible nerves, good performance "A"
    2. Kristen - Adele's "Turning Tables" the nurse, just ok "C"
    3. Brianna -Demi Levato's "Warrior" no performance quality, she is very introverted & intense "C-"
    4. Jena - "Paint It Blake" I loved it, "B+"
    5. Bria Anai - not sure, I think "Wrong Side of Love" she got shrill, oversang "D-"
    6. Marielle - Katy Perry's "Roar" completely OTT, also flat in places "C-"
    7. Jessica - "Drink a Beer" the judges said her nerves showed but I thought it was one of the better ones "A-"
    8. Emily - Grace Potter's "Paris Ooh La La" this is the audition song Harry thought had inappropriate lyrics for her but she did it well "B"
    9. MK - John Legend's "All Of Me" this was beautiful, tied with Majesty for me "A"
    10. Malaya - Ray Charles's "Hard Times" "D"

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  23. Allskate

That definitely was worse than I expected. They should have let America hear all twenty and picked the top ten. I have a really hard time believing that all five of the girls who were cut would have been worse than all of these girls who sang. There aren't five that I really want to go through.

Majesty Rose -- Didn't love the song choice, but I suppose it's smart to sing a more uptempo song. People will vote for her not only because of her voice, but because she comes across as adorable. I want her to go through.

Kristen -- Do not sing Adele. You'll pale in comparison, especially with phrasing like that. When she sang "I can't breathe," I couldn't help but notice that she was having breathing problems. Didn't care for her, but liked her more after hearing the rest of the girls.

Briana - I like her voice, but she seemed nervous and had problems with her triple axels. :lol:

Jena -- I wasn't expecting that, but I really liked the vocals. I'd like her to go through.

Bria -- Meh. Really not my kind of singer. She was going for a quad axel.

Marialle -- Not what I expected. Terrible song choice and arrangement. It was bad karaoke.

Jessica - I'm not sure this was the best song choice and she got a little too excited about getting chosen and a bit too nasally. But, I like her and she'd be one of my choices to go through.

Emily -- Why would someone choose a song that a judge already told her wasn't a good choice? Dumb. And what was with the clapping and trying to get the audience involved in that song? What a flake. She can sing, but she'll annoy the heck out of me if she's in the competition.

MK -- I don't think she has the greatest voice, but she is absolutely authentic and I love that she's not trying triple axels. I really hope she goes through.

Malaya -- She's got a fun personality, but her singing style just doesn't appeal to me. I liked her more tonight than I have in the past, but that doesn't say much.

24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

For me, I don't care as long as Majesty and MK get through. It would be nice if Briana and Malaya did, too, but they are afterthoughts for me. As a gay man, I would say that MK's performance and ACCEPTANCE was a huge moment for me in TV history. FLOVE.

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

How I would rank last night:

1. Majesty Rose - Happy - I originally had her in third, but I'm listening to her now on youtube and she was the best last night. But damn, this girl better start working with those spiritual advisors! She scowled whenever the camera showed her after everybody else's performances. When others were clapping, she seemingly refused to. And when Kristin joined her on the couch, Majesty noticeably pulled away as if to say, "no touching the diva!!!" Does she not realize how much the camera is on her??

2. mk nobilette - All Of Me - The vocals were a bit shaky (nervousness) and the pitch was a bit off (getting overwhelmed in the moment)...surprised the judges didn't mention this. But her voice is so PURE. And such an honest performer. I want to hear her sing this song when the pressure is off because she can do much better than this. But I adore her voice, so I have to put her this high even though this was the least best performance she has done so far.

3. Kristen O'Connor - Turning Tables - I had Kristen in fifth but after listening to her again on youtube, I realized that she suffered from having to sing so early. But that was quite a good vocal. I would never recommend anybody covering Adele, but she held her own.

4. Emily Piriz - Paris (Ooh La La) - I thought the judges were too harsh on her. I don't like it when the judges say, "when you sat at the piano and sang a pretty ballad...you should do that every week". No one is going to win American Idol by doing the same every week. Well, that's not true, Phillip Phillips sand the exact same song every week and won!! :p :lol:

5. Jessica Meuse - Drink A Beer - I liked it. But nervousness did show in her voice at times. It was great that the judges said she needs to show some vulnerability because that allowed her to tear up when Ryan asked her about having a band like Rickey Minor's to work with.

So based on last night, that's my top five. I think I'd like Malaya Watson to be in the top ten, probably taking Emily's spot as Malaya has a LOT more to offer entertainment-wise.

Marrielle Sellers probably deserves a spot in the top five, bumping out Kristen. But boy, did Marrielle ever pick the wrong song..."Roar" did not show off her vocal ability at ALL.

Bria Anai is talented, I don't know what went wrong with her performance. Probably not picking a more famous song as well as simply trying too hard. She didn't need to.

Jena's "Paint It Black" was shrill and over-the-top and kinda "Rock of Ages". Really wrong song choice! :(

And poor Briana Oakley. It's a good thing I wrote down her name, because I never would have remembered who the tenth person in this group was. Not memorable as a person, as a singer and picking an unknown song choice was possibly the worst move she could have made. She will never be heard from again. :fragile:

26. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Um, I like to forget that Danny (that was his name, right? Total tool with glasses?) exists as well, but Allison went out fourth.

I'm still :mitchell: :mad: about that.

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I had her placed high coming out of the auditions based on her experience, range and look. Too bad she imploded.

28. Allskate

And Scotty. I didn't really interpret the judges' comments as saying that they wanted Emily to do the same thing each week. I think they were saying that she seemed more connected to the song in the prior performance whereas last night she looked like a phony poser who didn't know or care what the song was about. Harry made the point well with his comments about her spending hours in front of the mirror. She's the one who is going to spend more time picking out her clothes than understanding and choosing her songs.

29. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

THE BOYS

Not as many good critiques tonight as last night. The judges were easier on them than on the girls. I agreed with most of the top 10, but more of that below. My rankings:

1. Caleb - "Stay With Me" - good energy, got the crowd clapping, sounded good "A-"
    2. C J - "Shelter" - it was suggested that he not play his guitar but he did anyway, I would like to see him without it "B"
    3. Emmanuel - "The Best of My Love" ick song choice, he is too campy for me, sounded flat 1/2 the time "D"
    4. Sam Woolf - "Babylon" I liked that he took advice, he improved his stage presence "A"
    5. George - "Grenade" completed oversang it, it was kind of desperation "C-"
    6. Dexter - "This 'Ol Boy" he sounds radio ready, smooth, relaxed "A"
    7. Alex - "Volcano" I think he's something special, his falsetto is so natural "A+"
    8. Malcom - I couldn't understand the title or much of what he sang, it was "Coming from somethingorother", he needs to enunciate more, "C-"
    9. Ben - "Let Your Soul Shine" I felt they had to choose him after that drama with Neco, he still had that stupid backwards cap & untiffed appearance "C"
    10. Spencer - "Love Don't Die" eye candy who will go much further than he deserves, voice kind of meh "C- or D"

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

That outcome was the most obvious happening in the history of reality television.

I didn't think Briana imploded at all. I think her vocals were probably flawless. But that's the problem: "I think" and "probably"...I just don't remember. Picking an unknown song was mistake #1. Not going for a big-time makeover that would have made her stand out was mistake #2. :(