American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Carrie Underwood

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

harry said no. but of course he is going through, i can see the promos now.

2. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I have a crush on Harry. I had to watch it. I love him. He ages so well right ? :)

3. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

All the contestants who didn't get 3 yeses have another process to go through before they can join the ones with 3 yeses. I have a feeling that a lot of the ones that Harry didn't give a yes to will be gone.

4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm really enjoying the lack of public humiliation bits they are putting in the audition shows. Just focussing on the talent, yippee!! My favourite last night was not mentioned by name. He was the guy who gave his guitar to Keith Urban, who played "Waiting For The World To Change" while he sang. On the American Idol youtube channel, I could not find this audition, but I'm pretty sure this is the guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOSrb4uDTHU

My second favourite audition was Malaya Watson singing Ain't No Way. I found that a lot of the performances were well rehearsed but lacking any real genuine quality. Malaya was the opposite, so real. Love her! :D

Sydney Arterbridge singing Lovin' You was amazing. It was hilarious with Harry setting up the big note at the end. :lol: She might have missed it a teensy bit, but it's such a tough note to hit, even getting it 90% right is a big accomplishment.

And my other favourite is Bryan Watt covering Carrie's So Small. He just sang the song, trusted the melody and didn't over-do it. That might be the first time someone didn't over-do a Carrie Underwood song!!

I haven't watched Thursday's show, I'll post my favourites for that one once I'm caught up. :)

5. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I liked all those too Peter. I think my fav was Maurice, the church music director with the 4 small adorable children. I have never been so taken with an audition before. I hope he makes the live rounds so I can vote my fingers off for him.

(Ooh, I probably just gave him the kiss of death. Don't listen AIgods.)

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The judges were delighted with/for him!

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

What's the thinking behind believing someone is a hero for going out on the road for 300 days a year to support their children? Isn't it more heroic to get a job at the local grocery store, go home to your kids each and every day and then go to wherever you can and sing and play music? I just don't get how the judges fawn over people who basically abandon their children... :confused:

Other than that, I am enjoying this season of Guitar Idol. Although one of last night's contestants did not have a guitar. How did they get through??? :huh:

My favourite last night was Jessica Bassett who did a song I didn't know (but do you remember the lyrics referencing someone as a Russian girl and missing her sarcasm). Her pitch was the best I've heard in...forever probably. But she didn't make it through!! :soapbox:

Kasandra Castaneda who sang Chasing Pavement was quite amazing. Again, Harry said no to her. What is up with him??? She was amazing.

And I really liked Samantha Calmes, but after listening to her again with her youtube clip, I found it to not sound as rich as it did last night, a bit flat actually. But I'll cut people some slack for it being an audition piece when nerves are at an all-time high.

By the way, I liked what Keith said, something along the lines of, "if it's a true dream....it's uncrushable" (in reference to the judges having to be tough on people at times and saying no to them).

9. skatesindreams

There are a number of very talented singers this year.
    Those elimination rounds are going to be brutal.

10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I don't find JLo very effective. It appears that she lets the story & the package affect her judging of the singing. It doesn't take much to give her "goosies", esp if it's a guy. I agreed with every one of Harry's no votes. I really liked the judging the time that Jennifer was late & it was just Harry & Keith.

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA. This guy chose to have two kids by the age of 20. Now he can suck it up and actually parent them. I think the judges have the attitude they do because it helps them rationalize their own choices to be away from their kids. Keith was the one who was basically saying that this guy needed to be away from his family to support them. Keith is a very wealth man. He could retire today and live well for the rest of his life. But, how many days per year is away from his kids? Does he rationalize it by saying that he needs to make the money to pay for the kids' horses and nanny?

12. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

There could be several possible reasons why Keith choose to be on the road. 1. He needs the money to support his wealthy lifestyle. 2. He loves performing for his fans. 3. He wants a break from his kids. I know some women at work, whose husbands make enough for the entire family choose to work because they want to get away from their kids. Sometimes, raising kids is harder than your dayjob.

13. Allskate

Keith doesn't "need" the money. I'm sure artists love performing. And, yes, raising kids is hard work and some people want to get away from their kids. But, being away for 300 days per year is being an absentee parent. It's not the same thing as having a day job. Both that contestant and Keith have obligations to their kids. And those obligations include more than putting food on the table (or a mansion over their head). They include actually parenting their kids.

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

So all active deployed military, professional athletes, merchant marines, astronauts, climate researchers, archaeologists, etc. are to be classified as absentee parents? There are many jobs that need to get done that require that people be away for extended periods of time every year. If everyone stayed close to home to parent, we would notice.

15. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Good answer. I don't think we need to be judgemental of stranger's life choices. My BIL was a long distance trunk driver who could have taken a local truck driving job & been home every night. He didn't because he loved his job & it made more money.

As for having 2 kids by age 20, what they showed of his background suggests that he lives in a depressed area where that is probably the norm. Anyway, it's not for us to decide if it was a good idea for him to have 2 kids. At least he doesn't appear to be using public funds to support them & he definitely is trying to do all he can to give them a good life. They didn't reveal where the mother of the kids were. I imagine if she had died they would have told us so she maybe she's a druggie or she abandoned them or something that wouldn't play well on TV.

16. Allskate

Few of those jobs entail being away 300 days a year, and at least they are paying the bills. When a parent is gone over 80% of the year that's being quite absent! Most of these jobs are not comparable to being a traveling musician who doesn't seem to be earning enough to support his family himself.

As for being judgmental, Peter was pointing out that the judges were judging the contestant's decisions in a positive way. He was responding to their judgments and I'm weighing in. (In case you haven't noticed, that's the kind of thing we do on FSU.) Sorry, but I don't think there's anything great about a parent who is gone for such a huge percentage of a kid's young childhood and isn't even able to pay the bills as a result. The guy loves performing, and maybe he doesn't like being around two small kids. I certainly can understand that. But I see nothing about his choices to be lauded.

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Everyone sees the world differently. Where I work, we have a large number of people who never see their kids awake during the week, and a few with 2nd jobs that limit their time with their kids on the weekends. If I understand what you're saying, it's that Keith has a choice on that.

18. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Yup, I also see lots of people who are quite absent in their kids' lives, and it's fine. For myself, I didn't see my parents for 3 years growing up and was raised by my grandparents--a quite typical scenario for kids in the 80s in China whose parents studied in the US. I think I turned out okay. ;)

I doubt this contestant expects to be a traveling musician for his kids' entire childhood.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I just finished watching Thursday's episode. My favourite was Tyler Marshall - Proud Mary.

One thing they showed in the sneak previews was group rounds and there was a parent arguing with one of the young women in her daughter's group. That would really piss me off if I was a contestant. If there's someone under the age limit that requires a parent to be with them, I think the parent should be there in a silent capacity. Unless someone is abusing their child, but if a group is arguing over how things should be done, parents should keep their traps shut!

20. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I have watched American Idol in ages, but I too find myself being drawn back to it by Harry Connick, Jr.'s presence. And I like Keith Urban as well. I haven't started watching yet, but I'll be marathoning it at some point. I hope the changes are met with an improvement in ratings.

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Totally agree! I understand that parents have to be present if the contestant is a minor, but they should be completely BARRED from interfering in anything related to the actual contest. And once that parent starts interfering, their spoiled little brat should be kicked out of the contest as punishment! Oh right, I forgot .... they don't know what punishment is so that wouldn't work, would it. Once that parent interferes, it completely turns me off to that contestant as well and if they end up in the Final 10 (which usually they don't since those kids are usually just not that good) I'll be voting like a tweenager to get that brat voted off!. :p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to watch this season, but I came across it and liked that they seem to be highlighting more strong contestants. Also, enjoy all the judges this season as well!

23. skatesindreams

I liked him.
    However, I hope that he doesn't "oversing" when he shouldn't

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

25. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I love the new cut round! Clears out some of the dead wood before we even get to Hollywood. Especially since those people would not have made it anyway, just clear them out now.

Still don't know anyone well enough to know their names though, so can't really comment on them. I did like the guy who played keyboard and sang "Say Something" (and on a side note ... maybe someone can explain the meaning of that that song to me because I totally don't get the meaning ... say something I'm breaking up with you ... so the guy is breaking up with her and she won't respond? I don't get the words, and I like to get the words). :p

And I still hate how they do the Group Rounds! I don't like how they just tell them "go make a group". Because its still the snotty people controlling who will and won't be in their group. They should do some kind of random draw for the groups. Because the little divas who throw their tantrums will still get cut any way. But I admire the guy who was sick and was losing his voice and quit now versus messing up his group. Unlike the little diva who was also sick but instead said 'I won't rehearse and I will decide right before we go if I will sing'. Beyoth. And like how are the others in your group supposed to practice around that? You could still at least be there and do the choreo and practice your parts in your head or something. Totally hope she gets cut.

Now ..... how to deal with the next two weeks and the Olympics. Of course the Olympics wins that fight, but I might not catch up until after the O's are over.

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

They tried assigning groups last year. There was a lot of flak because the chosen ones were clearly assigned with competent group mates and the "could be interesting" people got what was left.

27. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I don't remember it that way. I thought it was a really good way to do it. Wasn't it a random draw? And it breaks up the kind of groups like those Austin 4 who decided to make a group months ago & now have a huge advantage.

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

IIRC, the producers called people up. I didn't get any sense that it was random as it was fairly obvious that they weren't saddling their favorites with any losers and their "good TV" folks all got people who would create drama. I read it as a set up.

29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

30. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree, some people just don't have the personality to go around and beg to be in a group. I would hate that. I think two people were sent homw who really should have been sent though. They were better than the group. I don't really understand group week except to get rid of a bunch of people all at once.

I would be more selective before Hollywood.