American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Carrie Underwood

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i think caleb looks like the spawn of meatloaf, and he's done ok.

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I had to google "busing". It's a verb (slang?) meaning to throw one under the bus. (Just in case others are :confused: when they read this term! :lol:)

I don't think anyone on the show wants Jessica gone. I think what they were trying to do was:

1. Push Jessica harder than say Dexter or C.J. because she has more potential than they do and probably has the ability to change more than those two. And maybe others are developing at an appreciated pace, but they feel Jessica needs a harder push to keep growing. I can't disagree with this. I think Jessica has Miranda Lambert-like potential, but she has a mannequin-ish quality to her that she really needs to shake off. She's doing well with the smiling more bit, but it's a frozen, plastered-on smile that starts to look disingenuous after a while.

2. Reverse psychology voting. Being so hard on one performer who is clearly better than half the other contestants can make fans of this person vote more. I remember thinking Simon used to do this somewhat often. In this case, it didn't work out as Jessica ended up in the bottom two. I wondered if the AI people were shocked by this. I bet they will lighten up on their critiques of Jessica in the upcoming weeks as this ploy did not work the way they wanted.

I had a third thought, but it's gone now. :lol:

3. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I disagree PeterG. They have been overly hard on Jessica for weeks now. They aren't nearly as hard on others who have shown similar rates of improvement in their performance quality. They haven't been horribly insulting to her, so I don't think they've been trying reverse psychology. I think they want Jessica gone and want Sam and Alex to stick around.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Top six:

1. Jena - Barracuda A- only problem is she still doesn't enunciate

2. Sam - It's Time B- tone was good but still bland performance-wise

3. CJ - American Woman C- hate that song :mad: - not his genre, he was uncomfortable

4. Alex - Animal A- really good

5. Caleb - Sting Me A+ he's a beast!

6. Jessica - Somebody to Love A excellent but no originality

7. Sam - You're Still The One C blander than the first one

8. Caleb - Undo It B+ song didn't suit him

9. Alex - You Were Always on My Mind B didn't like the falsetto at the end

10. Jena - So Small C this was kind of a mess

11. CJ - Whatever It Is - D- he was completely out of tune

12. Jolene - A+ this was the best I've ever heard this song sung by anyone other than Dolly & I loved the arrangement

5. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Time for CJ to go. Caleb and Jena still my top two, Caleb was the best tonight. Sam was good, I just love his voice. Alex was okay, really enjoyed Jessica's "Jolene".

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

uhm .... did Keith like totally slam Carrie Underwood with his comment about Caleb's second song? He said something along the lines of .... 'That was good. I can't wait to hear your country song tonight.' :eek: Or maybe it was a snarky comment about Caleb making everything sound like rock. But I thought it was a slam on Carrie. :p

GRUMPY CAT!!! :cheer2: :cat: :cheer:

7. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

CJ's exit is long overdue. If he doesn't go, I hope Sam does. I didn't think he sounded good, and he still looks too uncomfortable.

I didn't think Keith was slamming Carrie. That would be a stupid thing for any country singer to do. I though he was making the point that Caleb made it sound not at all country.

My final three would be Jena, Caleb, and Jessica.

8. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I'm hearing whispers of "shocking" to describe tonight's results on Twitter. For whatever that's worth... :lol:

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My top two performances tonight were Caleb's "Sting Me" and Jena's "Barracuda". I liked Jena's vocals on that song (TOUGH song to sing!) but I wanted her to show a bit more originality as well as forcefulness. So I'd have to give Caleb the edge even though I don't know that song and don't know if I really care for it. But he rocked it out with that song, though! :respec:

My least favourite performances were C.J.'s "American Woman and...C.J.'s "Whatever It Takes". During both performances I got a lot of work done on updating my To Do lists and reviewing my datebook.

Surprises were Sam (almost spelled that "Same") on "You're Still The One"...he sounded pretty decent on that. But I looooove that song, so that helped him I'm sure. Alex on "Animal"...that's his worst performance ever on this show. Did much better with Always On My Mind, though.

I agree with Keith's comment about, "I can't wait to hear your country song". NOBODY sounded country to me. That was really disappointing. I wanted someone to have a banjo player and someone with steel guitar on either side of them and go full-tilt country. Jessica did a good cover of Jolene, but that arrangement was very little country! And Caleb had the opportunity to show his range and diversity as a performer and he totally blew it. He made "Undo It" sound like everything else he has ever done. Caleb really needs to switch things up, or he might as well hand the title over to Jena right now.

10. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Oh Idol, you reeled me in with your allegations of "shocking" elimination.

This was way over due. But I like CJ's passion about music, and I think he could still make a living, perhaps as a songwriter or a musician. Maybe vocal lessons could help him stay on pitch. Either way, his tears made me a little teary myself.

Meanwhile, it's good to have a top 5 who are all talented singers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  11. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Despite his pitch problems, I think CJ should have lasted longer than Sam. To me Sam is worst than Tim Urban (remember him?). The worst part of tonight was the camera constantly cutting to JLo & her fake tears. GMAFB! Did they squirt onion juice in her eyes or what? One second the camera was on her, it cut away for a millisecond & then went back to her & her eyelashes were all wet.

Poor Jessica just can't get no respect from these judges. In what universe did Sam out-sing her? But Keith as much as said she was the weak link Wednesday night & that she belonged in the bottom 2.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

even for teen bait, sam is pretty anemic. he couldnt even make the cover of lisa simpson's non threatening boys magazine.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am predicting a showdown between Caleb and Sam...the bluesy rocker vs. the teen idol.

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm preparing myself for the disappointment of Jessica going home before Sam... :fragile:

Sam will go home in fourth place. (Fifth place if we're lucky.) Caleb and Alex are the only two that have never been in the bottom three. Jena was once, but only way back before people got to know how AWESOME she is. Sam has been in the bottom 3 on three different occasions. So I predict Caleb and Jena as the top two, but sometimes rockers don't get votes like others do, so there could be a surprise elimination with Caleb going home in third place.

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If AI keeps with tradition since season 3, the best set of pipes goes out in 3rd or 4th, cute finishes 2nd, and the winner is competent, but not the strongest singer.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

SHOULD he go home in fourth or fifth? Hell yes. He's photogenic, but bland and uninspiring as a performer (though he can sing a little). WILL he go home? No, because they like him. And teen girls will be calling and texting in to save his ass.

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I must be crazy because I don't think he's all that cute. And his singing is zzzzzzzzzzzz. To me bland is much much worse than someone who occasionally sings off-key or strains to reach a note. I think the screaming girls are screaming because they got on TV not because Sam has any sex appeal.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I remember Tim! I actually liked him when he sang well. He's much cuter and has more personality than Sam too! Sam looks like a deer in headlights all the time. And he sings so timid too.

19. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I fear that Sam will win. Even worse, that he will knock Caleb (the rightful winner) out of the top 2. Sam should never have been saved.

20. moebius

I doubt it, maybe top 2 (even though not deserved). I think Jena will win (don't really like her voice and interpretation though), but hoping Caleb will win.

21. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

I think Jessica is probably toast this coming week and then Sam will follow her, leaving Caleb, Alex and Jena as the final 3. I don't know who will win but, imo, Caleb is by far the best and the ONLY one in the top 10 I would actually pay to go see in concert. I think he would put on a great show.

22. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Is there a choice of "none of the above"? This is not an impressive bunch. I have no idea why I'm still watching.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

You might change your mind after tonight. Caleb was absolute KILLER with Whitesnake's "In the Still of the Night", Alex did "Say Something", was fantastic, and Jessica did an amazing "Summertime Sadness". It was a great night of singing.

24. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

There were some really good performances but also some pretty bad. Here's the list & my grades-

Alex Preston: The Neighbourhood’s “Sweater Weather” — Grade: A-
    Caleb Johnson: Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” — Grade: A
    Jena, Alex & Sam: “Best Day of My Life” —
    Jessica Meuse: Christina Perri’s “Human” — Grade: A
    Sam Woolf: Ed Sheeran’s “Sing” — Grade: B-
    Jena Irene: Young the Giant’s “My Body” — Grade: C
    Caleb & Jessica: The Rolling Stones’ “Beast of Burden” —
    Alex Preston: A Great Big World (feat. Christina Aguilera)’s “Say Something” — Grade: A+
    Jena Irene: Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie” — Grade: D
    Sam Woolf: The Fray’s “How to Save a Life” — Grade: D-
    Jessica Meuse: Lana del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness” — Grade: B
    Caleb Johnson: Whitesnake’s “Still of the Night” -- Grade A+

I thought Jena was the worst tonight, followed by Sam. On Jena's 1st song she sounded like she had a mouth full of mush. I couldn't understand hardly any of the words. The 2nd song she just sounded lost. Sam's 1st song was an improvement for him but the 2nd was completely pitchy. Only Harry abandoned the producer's line & called him out on it. Besides all the bad notes, he was incredibly dull. Maybe singing 2 solos + a duet/trio is a mistake.

25. moebius

I wish that when it comes down to the top 6/7, Voice and Idol should cut the show to 1hr. It's tedious to watch the fillers/fluff and the singers sing twice.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Still makes me sad to see Allison Iraheta as a background singer. I really liked her. (Happy she's got a paying job though!)

27. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Me too. I wish that occasionally a contestant would pull a "Melinda Doolittle" & have the backup singer(s) be in the frame instead of in the dark in the background. Alex's duet on Say Something would have been better IMO if the girl had been next to him. It was distracting-I kept looking at her instead of him.

28. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Funny. I liked it. Because her silhouette made the lyrics more poignant to me. Like the woman he was singing about was feeling the same as he was but they weren't able to say it to each other.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love Caleb more and more each week. His voice is amazing. And he has confidence without arrogance or entitlement - he just knows that he is talented.

30. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I like Caleb a lot but I just read on Yahoo that he had not charted even once on the iTunes top 200. I found this very surprising until I realized that most of his songs have been old rock songs. Alex charted this week at #43 with Say Something, Jessica at #148 with Summertime Sadness & :)eek:) Sam at #165 with How To Save A Life. Maybe he sang in tune on the studio version.

For all the love Jena gets she didn't chart on either song. I can see why the teens might like her but her lack of enunciation has gotten to bother me more & more. I really don't want either her or Sam in the final 3.