American Idol, Season 13

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Who Have You Purchased Singles or Albums From On This List?

1. Adam Lambert

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Carrie Underwood

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Clay Aiken

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. David Cook

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Daughtry

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Fantasia

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Jennifer Hudson

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Jordin Sparks

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  9. Kellie Pickler

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  10. Kelly Clarkson

48 vote(s)
    72.7%
  11. Ruben Studdard

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scotty McCreery

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

American Idol begins tonight! :cheer2: I gave up on The Voice last season when they got rid of all the good people. Plus they have failed miserably producing any successful recording artists (Cassadee Pope and Danielle Bradbery haven't even warranted a second single from their albums). I enjoyed the X-Factor, but their ratings were reported as low last fall, so I'm not sure it will be back. So I'm excited to see what American Idol will be like with a whole new production team in charge of things. I hope they make some dramatic changes.

The Wikipedia page for season 13 says that...

From that site it looks like their might only be five nights of auditions? I hope they focus on talented people and skip all the trainwrecks.

And lastly, here's an article from today's issue of USA Today: 8 ways 'American Idol' could be better than last season

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Train wrecks coming up

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Loving that Harry connick is bringing the father card. You are 16 and singing songs that "creep me out"

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I heard results shows are going down to 30 minutes. So thrilled.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

j lo's top knot is perfect for getting a really good facial scrub with the clarisonic. but i wouldnt leave the house like that.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  6. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Not seeing anyone that's blowing my mind yet, I fear that with J-Lo back on the panel, they'll bring the level of talent down to mediocrity. While the judging was a trainwreck last season, at least they got the winner right.

7. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I love Harry and his feedback and what he brings.

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I don't even remember who won last season.

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't give me confidence to know that the new folks at Idol think that JLo is a good judge. I think she does the producers' bidding, but has little of substance to add and criticizes the wrong singers while ignoring the flaws of the anointed ones. I'm apprehensive about Harry. In the past, he seemed to have a fairly narrow view of how artists should perform.

The formats for Idol and The Voice are very different. Idol is more pageanty and you'll never have people get as emotionally invested in the contestants on The Voice. I'm fine with that. And I MUCH prefer the judges on The Voice even though they sometimes annoy me.

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Love Song

11. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Didn't realize this was on....turned my tv on and there is some chick from Georgia (Madelyn I think), yelling out 1700 notes for what should be maybe 30. She immediately got a ticket, although Harry did call the other two out for being so easily impressed by such stuff. I may continue to watch a bit more because of Harry.

12. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

delete. double post

13. moebius

Good that AI won't be wasting more of my time. So does that mean, no guest singers on the result show?

14. moebius

Jen Jensen (the one that was bullied in high school) from X-factor 2 seasons ago on Demi Lovato's team auditioned in Boston.

15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

The guitar is back. They seem to be giving bonus points for playing a guitar and having the right look and are a bit inconsistent when it comes to the caliber of the voice. Some of the ones who got through would not have had chairs turn for them on The Voice.

I knew the runs were going to be a big issue for Harry. I tend to agree with him, but I feel that he focuses on it a bit too much. However, there's no question that he is a huge improvement over Randy. I can't believe they kept Randy on for so long.

16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Tonight was alright. I like the friendliness of the three judges together. You could just feel the seething coming thru the screen last season with Nikki and Mariah, and that kinda turned me off as I watched. So at least the judges are refreshing.

:shuffle: And I admit to being one who likes seeing the train wrecks in the audition episodes, but they didn't show that many of them. I guess they are turning the focus more to people who get thru to Hollywood versus those who don't (which usually seemed to hog the whole show in the past).

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As do I!

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I watched the first hour. It's a much calmer show with less Seacrest, less backstory crazies, and more judges reactions and critiques. I think I'll keep DVRing it and see what happens.

19. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Agreed. It was a refreshing change. The Chamber is dumb and pointless but I guess they are going for maximum drama!!!!. I am absolutely loving Harry Connick Jr. I find it kind of pathetic that a lot of people don't know who he is when he is probably a thousand times more talented the the other two judges. I know a lot of these kids are young. But I don't know if you want to be in music, open up your horizons.

As for the guitar/singer/songwriter types I say God Bless. I am SO OVER the big voices. The Christina/Beyonce/Whitney/Celine wannabes. Music is kind of littered with them these days and I just don't find that voice as compelling or unique anymore. I also like that some of them are actual musicians who you know write their own songs. I wish AI would have the balls to do an original song night at one point. I totally agree with Harry and the vocal runs epidemic in music. I think he will be refreshing as a panelist and actually a real mentor.

I love the playful, flirty banter with the judges. I still miss Simon and Paula(though only for her embarrassing behavior)I don't think much of JLo as a singer or an actress for that matter, but I do like her as a judge.

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

15 'American Idol' Alumni Songs That Don't Suck

Kelly, Kimberley, Clay, Jennifer, Fantasia, Carrie, Daughtry, Elliott, Jordin, David Cook, Adam, Kris, Crystal, James and Phillip.

Not sure of all their specific choices, but they nailed it with some!

21. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

It's been years since I watched American Idol. I decided to watch again for Harry Connick Jr. I'm not disappointed - I love him as a judge!

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My favourite audition from Wednesday's show: Savion Wright (Both Sides Of Me)

And one that might surprise everyone as it was presented as someone to be mocked: James Earl - Everything In Life Yes, he is different and he made a mistake with using different voices for this one song. But his pitch was much more on the mark than other people and he showed good range even though it came off as strange. If they had put him through to Hollywood and let him learn from all the people available to him, he could have grown a lot and learned to iron out all the weird (in a bad way) stuff. I'm not saying he deserved to be in the top 24, but with some work, who knows what his future could hold?

23. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Harry Connick, Jr. has sucked me back into the show.

Damn him. :lol:

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  24. moebius

Wow time flies by really fast when you see Nikki McKibben's son auditioning for the show. Nikki looks more like his big sister than his mother. Still pissed that she placed higher than Tamyra Gray. Let's see if Fantasia's daughter will audition for the show.

25. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Great chemistry among the judges! Go AI for taking a harsh look at their product.

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree, they changed many things for the better. Less crazies.

I do wish they would take out the results show all together and kick someone off at the beginning of the next show, then just start right in with the singing. Enough drama already.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I was impressed with him an his story. Anyone who can come on with an original song and get my interest is good.

And to answer your question about buying any of the winners music - I do not buy much music at all. The only music I have purchased after a win on a show is Pentatonix from The Sing Off.

28. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I have bought a lot more music from non-winners than from winners. I buy the weekly iTunes downloads from The Voice more than I have AI in the past but I do buy from both shows. If I feel passionate about a contestant then I show it with a purchase. When I use my iPod at the gym it has a great mix of songs I probably won't hear on the radio & that keeps me moving.

Randy will be back. I'm dreading it.

The one time Harry made such a big deal about the runs he was absolutely right - that girl was horrible. I sure didn't notice him focusing on it. But if he does, good. I hate that pretentious stuff.

So far this panel is a huge improvement over not just last year but the last 4 or 5 years other than JLo. Harry & Keith together are fun. They need someone with some personality between them. I wish they would get Melinda Doolittle. She's done AI recaps on TVLine & she is so right on the money while being nice about it & funny too.

29. moebius

Randy can't seem to leave Idol. I thought he was gone for good.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I had three favourites from Thursday night's show. Unfortunately my favourite doesn't have her audition song shown, but only her gold ticket interview...

Road to Hollywood: Emkay Nobilette

But I did find this other clip, where she uses a different surname. Oh. My. God. AMAZING: Emkay Brazil at Kate Wolf Fest 2012

And I thought Nikki's song was really good. Harry didn't give him a yes though, right? :huh:

Tristen Langley - Santeria

And lastly, David Luning doing an original. He might be an acquired taste for some, but he's real and passionate and I like that when so many people so far are very much lacking in depth.