American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cailuj365, Sep 22, 2010.

1. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Oh, so it's confirmed. JLo, Steven Tyler, and Randy are the judges for this season. Also, the chairman for Interscope/Geffen/A&M, who's also a producer for some big names, is going to mentor in an episode. That would be pretty useful, I think.

2. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

If they really cared about this stuff as they say they do, then they'd be doing the same to Chelsea Handler. But they're not.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

This makes me interested in watching this season. I've been a fair-weather friend to AI for years (after watching every ep and voting up a storm the first several seasons), and missed all but 1-2 eps last season. Hated Kara. I think bringing in superstars from very different genres of music (and "performance", since JLo isn't exactly known for her vocal prowess) is brill.

4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'll reserve judgment about the new judging panel until after we see them a few times. Tyler only recently was dealing with his addiction and doesn't seem to work well or responsibly with his band, so he could be a train wreck. Maybe that's what they want. Or maybe they just want a rocker to balance the panel. J.Lo was not all memorable as a mentor, but hopefully she'll have something useful to offer beyond "I like your outfit." But, I'm just so glad Kara is gone. She was worse than useless; she was freaking annoying and gave advice that wasn't very good for the show. I hope these judges are open to a more varied range of music and contestants.

5. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

It's time to start another thread.

(I moved a few posts from the previous one)

6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think this gives each contestant (other than country) a potential advocate on the panel which is a good thing.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I might have to watch this to see Steven Tyler.

8. cailuj365

Of course Adam Lambert's fans are against homophobia, but they're fans of Adam Lambert, which means that they don't watch clips of Chelsea Handler when she's talking about George Michael. Maybe George Michael's fans should have contacted GLAAD or made their own protest to Chelsea. I'm sure Adam's fans would support such a protest, so I don't see how it's hypocrisy. Chelsea's jokes were majorly lame and low at the VMAs and she was criticized for it, so maybe she's getting back her own karma as well.

We'll see if this new judging panel is any good. Maybe they will be, maybe they won't. Hopefully, the contestants will be more lively and strong. I read a fan account from someone who auditioned in Texas and she said that the judges (who were college students) cut hundreds of actually good singers and only selected country girls or kids who looked like Justin Bieber. :wideeyes:

9. genevieve

it's a long known fact that singing talent is nowhere near the top criteria for getting on the show, but AI used college students as judges during the audition rounds? :huh:

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Interesting info in this yahoo article...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100922/entertainment/centertainment_us_americanidol

I hope they pick the best singers/performers instead of trying to appeal to certain demographics or try to avoid picking a new "(fill in a past winner here)" who would compete with a previous winner. I'd love to see a top 10 with the talent of Kelly, Carrie, Jennifer, David, Adam, etc. all going head-to-head with major talent all around. Please don't put any novelty acts into the top 10 to "spice things up".

Iovine has worked with John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, Eminem, U2, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 50 Cents, Enrique Iglesias, Simple Minds, Dire Straits, Patti Smith and Stevie Nicks. 'Nuff said.

We've asked in our AI threads for more current people to work with the contestants and now we got Timbaland!!! :cheer2: :D

I also like how they will promote all-around entertainers with more focus on performance (through dance) and not just have people stand their and sing. This is about live performances, not listening to a CD.

:respec:

My first thought is that I don't like this. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood could sing ANY genre, and do it brilliantly. If you want to find an all-around entertainer, challenge them to sing anything and everything.

Seems to me that when Lopez mentored on the show a few years back, people (grudgingly?) admitted that she was pretty good. Now it seems we're back to slamming her. Personally, I'm a big JLo fan (and I think Tyler has one of the best rock voices ever), so I can't wait to see how things go with our new judges. :40beers:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Allskate

I'm not sure I agree. I think they barely have time to learn the song. They don't have time to perfect dance. But, if were just about having a good stage presence and not having a deer in the headlights look and looking really stiff, then I'm good with that. And I wouldn't want the staging to be all that important of weight in the judging because that's something that's much easier for someone to learn with experience than the actual singing is. The singing is the most important thing IMO. The prize is a recording contract. Plus, personally, I'm fine with seeing someone in concert who doesn't dance. I hope this show doesn't turn into the hunt for the next Britney or Rhianna.

I LOVE that they're doing away with themes! No more Manilow night! No more country night! They're not looking for an all-around entertainer. The winners end up recording albums and doing concerts in certain genres, not a mix of country/rap/pop/r&b/rock/folk. I so don't care if Carrie can sing more than country pop. I don't care if Ruben can sing country at all. I don't care what most recording artists can sing outside of what they do on their CDs and in concert. Why force people to sing songs and genres they don't like or aren't good at, especially if they're really good at what they do?

That's good that Tyler wants to bring in rock, but I hope he's appreciative of other genres too. I think Kara and Simon both had limited taste and weren't good at critiquing singers who didn't share their taste.

12. genevieve

I'm all for focusing on the performances and not just a technically proficient vocal - but
    makes me :rolleyes:

Some people should NOT dance (notably the dead wife guy from a few seasons ago). And I don't want to see singers dance unless they can provide the appropriate vocals, LIVE, with whatever movement they come up with.

It just makes me think of a local pre-professional signing choir that includes cheesy choreograhy for all, but requires its female members to take jazz dance. Twee x infinity.

13. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Why allow the contestants to perfect their own genre when the winners will be forced to sing pop anyway? I mean, I applaud this move even though I like themes to show someone is a versatile singer, but unfortunately the winners aren't given free reign to sing their own genre anyway, with a few exceptions like Underwood.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  14. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

Wait... which winners have recorded albums outside of their genre? I haven't watched all of the seasons, but I can't think of any who have been forced into something outside of their comfort zone, etc.

15. cailuj365

Yeah, I just talked to the person who auditioned, and she said that the judges for these early rounds were pretty much college kids. The only people that she saw that were let through were guitar-playing guys, country girls, Bieber clones, and random trainwrecks/joke fodder. :rolleyes: She said it also really depended on which table you got to sing for. Some tables let almost no one through while other tables were much more lenient.

I think the Interscope producer + Timbaland idea is AWESOME. Maybe these kids will actually get to sing current music now, idk. I'm glad that they're doing away with the limited, old theme weeks too. No one does the versatility thing anymore. The big stars specialize and send out hits that are all variations of the same theme.

Well, if you want a really recent example, take a look at Crystal Bowersox's twitter. Girl is having major issues with Jive and is airing out some dirty laundry before her album is even released. :wideeyes:

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Interesting, interesting...

First, please don't MAKE them dance. Encourage it for the ones who want to do it or are capable but don't force someone to dance. Kelly most certainly does not dance when she goes on tour, sure she jumps around and has a little beat going with her body but she doesn't employ back up dancers or do choreography. It isn't who she is, she is way too good of a vocalist to bother with that crap!

I am going to miss the genres, I was always excited to see what they would be and who would benefit or suffer from the weeks choice. However, they were so often so horrible that eliminating them is probably a very good idea. I hope they do encourage them to try other things from time to time, however. I don't want to see the country crooner singing the same song week after week. Hopefully they can "make" them do an uptempo here and there as well as a ballad, etc, without completely going outside of their genre and comfort zone.

I am also glad the guest mentor idea is out. I never liked it because it often lead to extremely strict theme nights. For example, Dolly Parton mentors and what do you know, we have Dolly Parton night. Not just country night, but Dolly Parton! That is WAY too specific. Glad it won't happen any more.

17. cailuj365

Lol, the dancing thing is a little suspect. You can have the pop contestants dance, sure, if they're comfortable and have skill, but the rockers? Um...might be a little hard to manage with their guitars.

18. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I still haven't been able to bleach my brain enough to get rid of the image of Danny Gokey's "dancing."

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

20. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Oh god, that sounds like a freaking pterodactyl.

21. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

22. Allskate

Oh, my. :wideeyes:

I knew that she and Jive weren't seeing eye to eye, but wow. Today's tweets:

"I'm not in the loop apparently. I guess I'm just supposed to sing songs and be a lame obiedient dog. Sorry, not this woman."

"We love exactly what you do. Now do it differently. We can't have an Indy type artist on a major label. Why the bleep not?"

I hope she wins at least a few battles.

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Oh, wow! Crystal and Kelly would have a LOT to talk about I think. Get those two together, they can write a song about it all, haha!

24. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I personally don't think David Cook put out exactly what he wanted, and wasn't Kelly fighting for her first few albums because she wasn't able to do exactly what she wanted?

25. cailuj365

Jive wouldn't drop Crystal before her album is released...right? She must know that Jive can and probably does read her tweets, and they can't be happy with what she's saying. And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.

26. Allskate

Oh, definitely. And Kris didn't either. But, they weren't huge departures in style from what they'd like to do.

Maybe she's hoping that they'll transfer her to a different Sony label. (Isn't Ray LaMontagne on an RCA label? She's a big fan of his.) Or maybe she would just like them to drop her and let her sign with someone else. They're really not the right label for her.

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

And the Indigo Girls released most of their albums through Epic (currently owned by Sony). Epic had Blondie, Boston and Brandy on their label, who are all pretty mainstream. :D

28. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

As much as I liked Crystal on Idol, I wondered if she'd be currently viable. Apparently, Jive thinks not. Or so it seems, from the info we have available. She's definitely a throwback to the hippie era. But, then, Adam Lambert, is a throwback to the 1980s "glam era" and he seems to be doing just fine. So, who knows? Maybe, Crystal will find her niche. I hope so ... she's talented, to be sure.

29. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Exactly. It's not like either of them put out a jazz album or something.

I was not a huge fan of David's album, but it's still a mix of rock songs and ballads, just like Analog Heart.

30. cailuj365

Ray LaMontagne is with RCA. I really doubt that Crystal would be transferred there though. They've got enough work to do trying to promote Lee...

Being "glam" is in right now though, but being a dreadlock-haired hippie isn't. And his singles are pretty current-sounding for pop, but I don't think Crystal's would be if she gets her way. I think Jive is too focused on the pop and urban formats to realize that there are other areas for artists to become successful.