American Idol news - Mariah Carey as a judge

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Jul 23, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!

2. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see Mariah on the show. I haven't watched in several seasons, but this intrigues me. Say whatever you want about her tight clothes and the deadpan speaking voice, but Mariah has an incredible singing voice (I don't always like the way the she uses it), perfect pitch, and has been a successful artist, writer, and producer. Twenty years is nothing to sneeze at. She actually has a music background, which is more than Paula or JLo ever had before either got a deal making over-produced, synthesized dance tracks. I'd be surprised if either could even read a bar of music. And for the record, JLo's clothes were just as tight and probably more revealing (she has no problem showing us the headlights), the only difference is Mariah (and Christina both) have a penchant for tacky.

3. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Are you saying that JLo's clothes aren't tacky? That cut to the navel green Versace outfit is the very definition of tacky. I don't recall Mariah ever appearing in a see-through top while wearing no bra. Just sayin'

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I love seeing what Christina & Mariah are wearing, i.e. what tacky thing they have come up with. Their imaginations know no limits. Sparkly panties in lieu of slacks or shorts? Check. Décollétes so low they are falling out? Check.

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

That green dress is considered iconic though.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This summarizes my thoughts.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Please explain. Mariah Carey could do no wrong in the 90s. She was simply on top of the world, the biggest artist on Earth. You seem to think this holds true even today? Maybe vocally you don't think she is past her prime but since when do vocals actually matter in music these days? She isn't an Opera singer.

By the way, she does have new music coming out so this is probably less about money and more about re-establishing herself as an artist who can get hits.

8. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Love the basket of puppies and 10 white kittens in the dressing room bit though. No past her prime diva is better than a bat shitcrazy past her prime diva!

9. Dragonlady

JLo was once scheduled to appear on the Marilyn Dennis Show which is a Canadian network talk show on CTV. JLo's contract for the appearance stipulated that the green room be painted white with all white furniture, fresh flowers - all white of course, and that a separate lounge room be available for her entourage, and then she cancelled on them at the last minute. On the upside, Ms. Dennis' rant about it all was FAR more entertaining than anything JLo could have done.

10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

When I say that she is not past her prime I was talking about her voice. I still enjoy Tony Bennett but he can't hit all the notes anymore & all evidence says Mariah can.

Maybe Mariah doesn't want to do all the things that were required in the 90s to stay on top. She has kids now. But I believe she could have hits now if she wanted to & had good material.

My brother worked for a company in the 70s & 80s that provided the road crew for touring singers/bands. He said touring is so grueling & once past a certain point the money doesn't mean very much that megacts would demand silly things like only brown eggs or only white rooms just to prove to themselves that they were still stars. It wasn't that they were divas with people one-on-one.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  11. berthesghost

:lol:
    yeah, but MDNA scrub downs take the cake imo. Long live the undisputed queen!

12. berthesghost

Oh. Mr last man standing. :p

13. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I am saying that Mariah is tackier.....JLo has hit the red carpet looking a hot mess on more than one occasion (what celebrity hasn't). But Mariah and Xtina do it on a regular.

14. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

The tacky outfits just don't entertain me that much. After the first week or two, I hardly notice. I'm just hoping that Mariah has more to say than Jennifer did. I suspect she will.

Billie Jo Armstrong is going to be a mentor for Christina's team on The Voice. It will be interesting to see what he has to say. I somehow don't think he'll just be telling everyone that they're beautiful. :lol: But, I do hope that they don't continue with the Adam/Christina feud. Armstrong made a point of letting people know that he'd been given a choice between Christina and Adam and had chosen Christina because he's a singer, not a drummer.

15. Dragonlady

JLo used to be a regular in the white hot mess department too but then she married Skeletor and he wouldn't let her go out in with all of her naughty bits handing out so she toned it down big time. Now that she's divorced him, I've seen her in a number of outfits that show JLo is re-asserting her tacky taste.

None of these women can realistically referred to as demure when it comes to their wardrobe.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Nick Jonas tweeted that he's being considered for an Idol judge position.

Isn't one supposed to keep one's mouth shut about such thing until it's a done deal (or at least say 'no comment' when asked)? Now I really hope he doesn't get it :lol:

17. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I would have hoped he wouldn't get it even if he had kept his mouth shut.

18. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Idol related news. Remember that cheeseball Alan Ritchson, who serenaded Paula and spent a lot of tim flirting with the girls in Hollywood? Turns out he's had a decent acting career since AI, being on Blue Mountain State (A TV show on Spike) and having guest roles in Smallville as Aquaman. He's now also been cast as Gloss in the Hunger Games

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Randy Jackson Back As Enrique Wanted Too Much $$$$

Iglesias wanted eight figures (10 million +). Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban are rumoured to be close to filling out the judging panel.

Don't auditions start in like three hours? They better get a move-on!! :lol:

20. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

I heard an interview with Urban that said he wasn't able to do it because he was committed to The Voice in Australia and the timing wouldn't work.

21. BigB08822

I will have to hate Enrique forever for being the reason than Randy Jackson is STILL on this show. Ugh!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban will take a seat at the judges' panel, alongside previously announced new judge Mariah Carey and returning judge Randy Jackson, FOX announced on Sunday.

I'm glad that Keith Urban will be on the show, if only for people who are unfamiliar with his music to get a chance to hear some of his stuff. He consistently puts out amazing singles and almost always they come from a positive place, unlike somebody like Eminem who uses his audience as his personal therapist. The fact that he is easy on the eyes is completely besides the fact. :D

23. BigB08822

I find it very interesting that the Idol judging panel will now have 3 African American judges on the panel. This is a show that has been leaning so heavily to white middle American audiences. Look at the recent successes of the country artists on the show and who else has been making the final 2 or 3. Very rarely is a black contestant making it that far, though it does happen. I just wonder the strategy behind the decision. It is also interesting to note that the 4 judges on The Voice are the exact opposite, 3 white and 1 black.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

If there is not a contestant that interests me, I think I'm gonna pass on this season.

Nikki Minaj? Really?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

come on, she's been famous since lunch

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

:lol:

Keith Urban has never struck me as being particularly interesting. But, I'll go out on a limb and predict that he'll be better than Randy.

Nicki Minaj? Why? Simply because she's not boring? Or did she come cheap?

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I didn't realize how close we were to be Randy Jackson free on AI. :fragile:

28. BigB08822

I wonder what utterly ridiculous things Nicki Minaj will wear every week? I wont tune in to find out but you guys keep me posted, haha

29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Guess I'll have the AI thread all to myself come January because I looooove Nicki Minaj!! :cheer2: :respec: :cheer:

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  30. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I was listening to the radio a while back and heard this really horrid song so I shazammed it so I could avoid the artist in the future and it turned out to be Nicki Minaj. :lol: