American Idol news - Mariah Carey as a judge

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Jul 23, 2012.

1. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Never been a fan of hers, but she can't be any worse than J. Lo
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

When will Idol figure out that a new judge, or a whole new panel of judges, wont bring in new viewers. That judge has to be someone exciting and has to get people talking. Have you ever listened to Mariah Carey talk? She is about as exciting as watching paint dry. She has never had much personality and has always relied on her incredible voice to get herself through, which she has in spades. She is not going to be the type of person to give the show great sound bites and to get people watching every week. The show needs another Simon, plain and simple.
  4. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Mariah Carey = :yawn:
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I agree that the show "needs" Simon!
    That said, I'll reserve judgement about Mariah until I see what she does/says.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I bet Mariah's fondness for way too tight clothing will be a distraction.
  7. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I think she has trainwreck potential to rival Pauler's. On on the other hand, she might actually be quite good at giving critiques. Either way, I'll probably watch.
  8. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Have you seen her on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7fOLdZL2s

I think she can be pretty entertaining :D
  9. Kevind85

Kevind85 New Member

Well, atleast she can sing. I still think it's a total crock that Britney Spears is judging the X-Factor.
  10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Which we know because about 95% of the AI contestants sing in her annoying shrieky unnecessarily elaborate style. So if she's going to smack them down for ruining or overdoing that style (if that's possible), that could be hugely entertaining.
  11. taf2002

Not as much of a crock as JLo.
  12. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA. And since they're paying Mariah so much, there's no way they can bring back JLo.

I absolutely do not think they need a Simon. I thought Simon was useless when it came to criticism. He was just about insults. And I didn't think he had particularly good taste. He's the main reason I don't watch X Factor.

I would, however, like to see someone who was willing to be objecting and give constructive criticism. I thought that both Ben Folds and Sara Bareilles were good judges, but they're not big enough names.
  13. taf2002

Barry Manilow was a fabulous mentor imo & he actually gave some negative feedback. I don't know how he would be as a judge though. I wonder if Aretha Franklin is a real possibility? She has nothing to lose like a current artist so she would probably tell it like it is. Bette Midler would also probably be tough. And good. I want judges who would do a better job picking the final 24. There are winners who shouldn't have ever gotten thru Vegas week - like Taylor Hicks for example.
  14. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I would love Bette to be a judge!
  15. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

In these hard economic times with so many people struggling, is anybody else having a problem when the media gushes that somebody is getting paid $18 million to be a judge on a TV show? I think it's really kind of gross. In Mariah Carey's case, surely her attorneys could have arranged a non-disclosure of salary clause in the contract.

And it's just not Mariah Carey, it's all of them, including actor and athlete celebs.
  16. skatesindreams

Amen to all of this!
    How much money did AI lose on Taylor Hicks?
  17. taf2002

None - it was the record company who lost money. AI just lost credibility and they do so every time they crown a mediocre singer like Lee DeWyse. He's another that I couldn't believe got thru Vegas or Hollywood week. And there have been non-winners too who didn't belong in the top 24 like Tim Urban.
  18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

you'd never know it from the songs she records.

Mariah Carey was only interesting during her downward spiral period (have y'all SEEN Glitter? such awesomeness!). JLo doesn't have much of a voice but she's a far better entertainer, and I thought she was kind of a fun judge.

AI jumped the shark a few seasons ago, though. I don't think there's anything they can do, or anyone they can bring on, who could make them relevant again. So sure, why not give Mariah a day job?
  19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

20. skatesindreams

taf, when I think about some of the "singers" that have been sent to the Top 24, I wonder what the judges are "hearing".
  21. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Simon tried to vote Kelly Clarkson OFF on the first day of Hollywood. That would have sucked.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. puglover

puglover Active Member

I wonder what they are paying Jimmy Iovine. His costume/hair requirements seem modest, he actually works with the talent, takes ownership when some of his suggestions don't pan out as he planned, and IMHO gave praise and criticism that was coherent and understandable. I say - more Jimmy!
  23. BigB08822

I agree. Jimmy has been great and I have wondered why they havent moved him into the role. Maybe he doesn't want to be so tied down to the show? He only has to do the live episodes as it is while the judges have to go out on all the audition stops and do Hollywood rounds, Vegas, etc. etc. etc. They have MUCH more to do and he may not have the time or want to dedicate the time. Plus they have to go out and do promotion stops and I don't think I have ever seen Jimmy be a part of those. He has it easy, really.
  24. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think that both Bette Midler and Brad Paisley could be good. They both have entertaining personalities and I can't see either of them just saying that the contestants were beautiful.

I don't think they can realistically give Jimmy a bigger role because he owns the record label. If he is a judge and makes his favorites too clear people may wonder why they should bother to vote for his favorites since Jimmy can sign them anyway.
  25. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Good point. I read (somewhere) that Jimmy is not interested in participating as a judge, but he didn't mention the conflict of interests judging would entail.

He appears to enjoy his role as a mentor and he's good at it. He's engaged, awake and appears sober. I like that the show has an antidote for the judges; it's frequently needed.
  26. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

first : American Idol still exists ? :confused:
    second : another artist long passed her prime only motivated to do the show by money ( hey maybe she'll use it like JLo to rebound ? ), I hate screeching
  27. taf2002

Disagree Mariah is past her prime.
  28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Yes. I believe it is what those in the business call "The Number One Show On Television". :)
  29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I will probably watch AI next season. I thought she was great as a mentor. I still remember when she was riffing with the guy with the dreads on his take of "I Don't Wanna Cry". Chills, people, chills!
  30. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Hopefully she won't be of the "That was beautiful, Sweetie" school of juding. Did JLo EVER say anything helpful or meaningful to any contestant.

As for Mariah's tight clothing, what about JLo's? I have no use for JLo at all and never have, so I'm happy she's gone.

I would like someone to take the Simon role - most of his criticisms were stuff we were thinking at home. Listening to the judges blow smoke up the singers' butts for the past two seasons means that few of the performers showed any development or growth during their time on the show.
  31. skatesindreams

This!
  32. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see Mariah on the show. I haven't watched in several seasons, but this intrigues me. Say whatever you want about her tight clothes and the deadpan speaking voice, but Mariah has an incredible singing voice (I don't always like the way the she uses it), perfect pitch, and has been a successful artist, writer, and producer. Twenty years is nothing to sneeze at. She actually has a music background, which is more than Paula or JLo ever had before either got a deal making over-produced, synthesized dance tracks. I'd be surprised if either could even read a bar of music. And for the record, JLo's clothes were just as tight and probably more revealing (she has no problem showing us the headlights), the only difference is Mariah (and Christina both) have a penchant for tacky.
  33. Dragonlady

Are you saying that JLo's clothes aren't tacky? That cut to the navel green Versace outfit is the very definition of tacky. I don't recall Mariah ever appearing in a see-through top while wearing no bra. Just sayin'
  34. taf2002

I love seeing what Christina & Mariah are wearing, i.e. what tacky thing they have come up with. Their imaginations know no limits. Sparkly panties in lieu of slacks or shorts? Check. Décollétes so low they are falling out? Check.
  35. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

That green dress is considered iconic though.
  36. skatesindreams

This summarizes my thoughts.
  37. BigB08822

Please explain. Mariah Carey could do no wrong in the 90s. She was simply on top of the world, the biggest artist on Earth. You seem to think this holds true even today? Maybe vocally you don't think she is past her prime but since when do vocals actually matter in music these days? She isn't an Opera singer.

By the way, she does have new music coming out so this is probably less about money and more about re-establishing herself as an artist who can get hits.
  38. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Love the basket of puppies and 10 white kittens in the dressing room bit though. No past her prime diva is better than a bat shitcrazy past her prime diva!
  39. Dragonlady

JLo was once scheduled to appear on the Marilyn Dennis Show which is a Canadian network talk show on CTV. JLo's contract for the appearance stipulated that the green room be painted white with all white furniture, fresh flowers - all white of course, and that a separate lounge room be available for her entourage, and then she cancelled on them at the last minute. On the upside, Ms. Dennis' rant about it all was FAR more entertaining than anything JLo could have done.
  40. taf2002

When I say that she is not past her prime I was talking about her voice. I still enjoy Tony Bennett but he can't hit all the notes anymore & all evidence says Mariah can.

Maybe Mariah doesn't want to do all the things that were required in the 90s to stay on top. She has kids now. But I believe she could have hits now if she wanted to & had good material.

My brother worked for a company in the 70s & 80s that provided the road crew for touring singers/bands. He said touring is so grueling & once past a certain point the money doesn't mean very much that megacts would demand silly things like only brown eggs or only white rooms just to prove to themselves that they were still stars. It wasn't that they were divas with people one-on-one.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012