American Idol (May 4th and 5th) - The Top Five (That’s Life…All The Way)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 4, 2010.

Who Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

1. Aaron Kelly

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Casey James

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Crystal Bowersox

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. Lee DeWyze

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  5. Michael Lynche

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. It’s Been A Very Good Year (I Liked Everybody Tonight)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Didn’t Really Like Anybody Tonight (They Should Have Done It My Way!)

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The most gifted singers in Idol's history, IMO: Melinda, Elliott, Clay, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, (in random order) have not won.
    Hearing them has given me more pleasure then listening to/watching the "winners"!

missing and (deleted member) like this.
  2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The most gifted singer was Melinda. She has perfect pitch. However, there's a reason she didn't win and a reason why she's not a big recording star. She's a singer. She's a terrible entertainer. She did backup for a number of successful singers and studio work where she excels. She simply didn't have the audience appeal and never will. You can no longer just make a studio recording. You have to do personal appearances, MTV vids (which is simply not Melinda). I fear Crystal will meet the same fate. She's a small venue singer. She's not an entertainer like Adam Lambert. I cannot picture her in a music video (I can Casey or even Lee). I suspect she'll end up back where she started prior to AI within a couple of years. It's not all about singing. Clearly, or Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift would not be superstars. They sell themselves and get by with crappy personal appearances and live vocals.

3. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Music videos on MTV are a thing of the past. Most are now made for You Tube and many are live performance videos instead of big production things. The Avett Bros release videos that are just the two of them sitting in a van singing and playing guitar, or standing in a hallway or in a hotel room and they shoot them with a webcam or a handheld. Unless your music is being featured as part of a soundtrack to something else, that's really the ideal way to make videos. Fans really enjoy the more intimate format and the immediacy and frequency of them are the perfect cure to our collective ADD.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Lady Gaga angry with 'American Idol'

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I find it interesting that the featured acts thus far have been the polar opposites of what the judges are praising in the contestants.

6. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

I saw the unedited version of Gaga's performance. Fox didn't do her any favors, but I just don't think it was one of her best performances. Plus, Alejandro isn't that great of a song IMO, so that didn't help either.

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I didn't care for the performance, but I don't think editing would have helped it.

8. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way that Crystal will end up back where se was before Idol unless she chooses to do that. Yes, Miley and Taylor, who largely appeal to tweens and teens aren't great singers, but I don't think it makes sense to compare Crystal to them. I also don't think it's fair to compare Crystal to Melinda. Crystal has much more personality. Plus, Melinda chose to record music that is not very current. I can see Crystal coming up with at least some music that is much more current. There are plenty of recording artists who have successful careers without having staging like Adam Lambert , without tweenybopper appeal, and without playing huge venues. If singers like Norah Jones, Melissa Etheridge, Colbie Callait, and Adele can make a very good living with their music, so can Crystal. (And, again, if they can make music videos, so can Crystal.) IMO, the big issue with Crystal is going to be the material and the promotion.

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Here's a report about a rehearsal for tonight's show. It doesn't name the songs or the pairings for the duets:

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/05/11/american-idol-lee-dewyze-movie-nigh/#more-28301

A new instrument being played. Could be good.

According to People, the duet pairings are:
    Crystal and Lee singing together and Mike and Casey singing together. I think Crystal and Lee could fit well together. I'm not at all sure about Mike and Casey blending, but it's good that it appears they will be playing their acoustic guitars together. Plus, we know the judges will say that Crystal and Lee are the better pair, but at least this way Mike isn't going to be directly compared to Crystal or Lee, so it's good for him. I think Casey will get run over by a bus multiple times tonight.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

"Poorly amateurly edited cut"? Is she related to Roget or something?