American Idol (May 4th and 5th) - The Top Five (That’s Life…All The Way)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 4, 2010.

Who Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

1. Aaron Kelly

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Casey James

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Crystal Bowersox

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. Lee DeWyze

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  5. Michael Lynche

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. It’s Been A Very Good Year (I Liked Everybody Tonight)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Didn’t Really Like Anybody Tonight (They Should Have Done It My Way!)

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I have an important question to ask.

Last year, I was impressed by Adam and Allison. They were singing like mad, with charisma, intelligent songs etc.

But this year it's more boring with each week passing. The songs are forgettable to say the least, and none but Siobhan or Deedee have charisma, those two being atypic in the casting and voted out.

Was last year a fluke ? Is every year like this year with ok performers with zero charsima ?

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

:drama: I was being serious. If I have to suffer through R & B week, you can survive Hair Metal week.

I only started watching in David Cook's season, but along with Cookie, Carly Smithson, Jason Castro and Michael Johns all had tons of charisma as well.

I don't understand the casting choices this year.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I really don't care about Crystal talking back. At least it made the show a little more interesting. Though she really didn't talk back all that much. And I thought it was stupid for them to be criticizing her arrangement and talking about how this style of music didn't suit her. I did wonder, though, if there was something wrong with the mic. At times during her performance and then while she was talking, the sound seemed to lose some power.

Casey is reminding me a little of Matt Giraud in that I think he's letting the nerves really affect his vocals. Multiple people have said that he was better in rehearsal than live, and we used to hear the same thing about Matt. You've got to bring it when the pressure is on if you want to get more votes.

Sorry, but even if they had all of those songs to choose from, it's still not enough options. Why the hell should I care how someone like Casey or Aaron sings a Sinatra song. If these contestants are really supposed to be showing us what kind of artists they'd be, open it up.

Relatively modern music. That's as specific as I want the them to be. Why on earth do we need something so narrow as a Shania theme or a Sinatra theme, especially if you're going to have someone else doing the arrangements. Why would we even need something broader like a country theme?

At least it would be a broader theme than Sinatra songs arranged by HCJ. Some of the contestants might have preferred your theme.

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I always thought "talking back" was a rude youngster being lippy and insolent. So I kept waiting for the part where Crystal verbally bitch-slapped one of the judges. They must have edited the west coast version, because all I heard was simple conversation. :)

Because the goal of this show is to find an all-around AMAZING singer/entertainer like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood who showed, week after week, that regardless of the theme...they could sing ANYTHING.

Specific themes weed out those who are limited in what they are able to do. Unfortunately for Casey last night, we got to see just that. :(

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yet 19E turns around and tries to turn everyone into a pop/country crossover singer in the hope that they'll find a golden goose. Not everyone's suited for that either.

6. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

If singing was a real criteria, Lee would have been gone weeks away. I think I only remember one week where he stayed on key for the entire song. I do not get the judges' slobbering over him.

Oh, and the "nervous paint salesman" shtick is getting old, considering that he had a record deal in the past and released two albums.

7. Allskate

Well, this is news to me. :lol: I thought the goal of the show was to make money. :lol: Why risk turning off an audience that has no interest in Frank Sinatra? You're going to pull in more viewers if you have more variety. The ratings were down again significantly last night.

Even in terms of choosing a winner, half the voting isn't even based on the singing, and I certainly don't have the impression that they are really looking to sign someone who will sing anything. They are looking for a recording artist. The judges repeatedly criticize contestants who are too varied in their songs choices and will say "that's not who you are" or "you need to show us who you are and what kind of album you'd make." How many songs has Carrie recorded that are like Frank Sinatra's songs? How many are R&B?

Lots of people aren't going to perform their best when they're singing songs and style they're not comfortable with. (Casey's discussion of this week is actually pretty funny: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/americanidoltracker/2010/05/idols-top-5-talk-sinatra-night.html ) So, why make them do that? I so don't care if Casey is comfortable and good singing Frank Sinatra. I'm much more likely to buy one of his albums than one of Carrie's simply because I like his style and song choices better. I usually find Carrie boring and I'm not into her genre of country pop. I've also been wondering why I like Lee's pre-Idol albums better than what he usually does on the show. Maybe it's because he's got crap stage presence or because the nerves are getting to him, but I also have to wonder if it's because he's not comfortable with the songs he's singing.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I believe that Crystal is the only one of this group with real career potential.
    However, the producers will probably try to push her into the same genre as most of the other Idol "discoveries"; so, that we may never know if she really can sing other material. Three minutes on the show isn't long enough to tell!

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree. I also don't get that the judges make comments that the contestants are being/not being true to themselves with song styling. How does someone like Crystal sing Sinatra and not compromise her style? As great as Sinatra was, he did not do a wide range of song styles that would lend themselves to a diverse group of singers. I think that is why it is better when they do an era or a more open genre. When they do individual singers, it's hard for some of the contestants to find anything remotely like them to sing. I don't think the goal is to produce a "does it all" singer, but one that will be successful in their genre.

According to DialIdol Crystal is
    bottom 2, which is just ridiculous

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Crystal doesnt look like she cares much. That might not be how she feels but I can seel how people arent compelled to vote for her.

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Her goal may have been to make the tour. She's accomplished that and more.

12. Allskate

Actually, according to DialIdol, every one of the five contestants is predicted to come in somewhere between first and fifth. I predict that every single one of their predictions is going to be correct. :lol: Four of the five contestants even have virtually the same DialIdol score.

I wouldn't be surprised if her goal is to come in third. She can negotiate her own contract then. That would give her more artistic control, which she may be wishing for after hearing from some of the contestants who have made it to the finale and won their recording contracts. She may also think that coming in third will get her out of having to do gigs like hawking merchandise on QVC. (I felt so sorry for Kris when I heard he was doing that.) She might have better control of her schedule and life and be able to spend more time with her son if she doesn't win.

But, I do think Crystal cares very much how good her performances are. She may not care if all the judges love it. She also may not care if the vocal coaches and Ricky Minor love it. I have a feeling that they are the ones who want her to go "big." Listening to an interview with Ricky Minor last year, it was very clear that he thinks that the contestants should be singing big glory notes whenever they can.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Actually, unless they recently changed the contracts they sign when they make the top 12, Crystal can't renegotiate her contract if she comes in 3rd. They all sign contracts of sorts that RCA then has the option of voiding as soon as Idol is over. So they can decide to keep the 10th place contestant and not give them any negotiations or they can let them go and maybe resign them later if they want, which would then allow them to renegotiate. They got a lot of flack for this so maybe it has changed. A lot of times, though, the lower place finishers do seem to have more freedom, maybe because RCA isn't counting on big success if they didn't get to the top of Idol anyway so they kind of let them try what they want and see how it works.

14. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I don't mind Crystal talking back per se, but I do mind that she seemed to miss the point of Simon's critique and it was a valid point. She chose a song that may have been very personal for her but was not the best choice for the occasion. That's why he called it a bit self-indulgent. She didn't give a performance that is going to make a first time viewer think "yeah, she's the obvious winner". She didn't give a performance that is going to convert new fans. And at this stage of the competition she has to go out with that intent every week if she wants to win, and she's a fool if she doesn't want to win. There's little benefit to finishing 2nd or 3rd anymore. So, yes, her retort made sense in that it wouldn't have necessarily been appropriate to belt out the first half of that song, but I think Simon's larger point that it was not the right song was lost on her.

15. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

So it seems like not even Lady Gaga in her dominatrix bee keeper outfit can generate interest in this show. :lol:

16. my little pony

are her male dancers wearing spanx?

17. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Either way I still LOVES me some Gaga :swoon:

18. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I like this performance from Gaga. Hate what the guys are wearing.

19. my little pony

I'm so tired of this Letters to Juliet commercial. I wish it would just come out and tank already.

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Have they announced this weeks loser yet?

21. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Lee is safe so far.

I'm not wild about Harry.

22. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Oooh, Beatles song. :)

23. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I love Harry, but his singing tonight is :scream: :yikes:

24. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Mike and Aaron are the bottom two. I'm surprised, Casey was bad.

25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

How the hell is Casey safe??! UGH stupid effin Tweens! Buh Bye Aaron

26. my little pony

IMO he won the interview portion of the evening.

27. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Aaron gone.

28. my little pony

what is Big Mike whispering to him? it is like the end of Lost in Translation

29. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

He doesn't have the voice of Archie but he does the humble role with so much more believablilty than Archie ever did, he seems like a really good kid so I wish him the best in the future

30. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Yes, but how did he do in evening gown? ;)