American Idol (May 18th and 19th) – THE SEMI-FINALS!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 18, 2010.

Who Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

1. Casey James

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Crystal Bowersox

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Lee DeWyze

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  4. All Three Were Amazing

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Nobody Lived Up To My Expectations

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

People has a report on this week's rehearsals, though they don't name the songs:

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/05/18/idols-top-3-rehearse-songs-of-their-choice/

I'm not loving the report on the arrangement of Lee's judges' choice. Sometimes less is more, particularly for that song.

ETA: A reminder of the judges' song choices for the contestants this week:

Simon chose Hallelujah for Lee. Kara and Randy chose Daughters for Casey. Ellen chose "Maybe I'm Amazed" by McCartney for Crystal.

Has anyone seen any spoilers for the contestants' own song choices?

3. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Didn't they try this a few seasons ago only to have them bumped back up to an hour mid-season? I have a hard time believing that we'll have an entire season full of 30-minute results shows, especially if the show they have to fill the extra half hour with tanks.

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

They are also cutting the performance shows to 90 minutes. That means less fluff and less Ryan nonsense. :cheer2: I guess the decline in ratings means Fox thinks they can generate more ad money with other shows. They also don't have to pay acts to play on results night. I think both cuts are an excellent idea.

5. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything official but there has been some talk on the AI sites that Lee's song is "Simple Man". Its one of his favorite songs and he has been wanting to do it on the show and would fit the People Mag clue.

6. Allskate

Interesting. That would work well for him. I'm curious about Casey's own song choice. I hope its some rocking blues, but it doesn't sound like it from the People spoiler. The People spoiler also made me wonder
    if Casey decided to slow down Daughters so that he could put in some more guitar and sing fewer schmaltzy lyrics. :lol: . It's not a fast song to begin with. I guess they thought that John Mayer equaled guitar, but there's not a ton of great guitar in Daughters. Maybe he'll do the entire intro or even extend the intro. They usually cut the intros out on Idol.

ETA: Ah. The L.A. Times has some more spoiler info from rehearsals:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ame...-songs-and-one-last-stab-at-the-final-2-.html

Yay! So, it sounds like Casey is doing some rocking blues for his choice! I think I'd prefer to see him rehearse than see his show performance.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You couldn't have warned us about the very unflattering and slightly scary pic as well as very large picture of Lee? :scream:

8. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Casey up first with his own personal song choice....."Okay, It's Alright With Me."

Blues/rock is right in his wheelhouse, but damn, his goat-throat was in full-force tonight :shuffle: .

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Casey sounds good on Okay, It's Alright with me....not setting the place on fire, a laid back choice.

10. PrincessLeppard

CASEY!!!! LOOK OUT FOR THAT BUS!!!! :yikes:

11. Allskate

Is this the Eric Hutchinson song?

There's no avoiding it. And it's going to back up over him in half an hour. He's just got to hope that there's some EMT nearby. :lol:

12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

....Randy says that the performance was just "Okay and Alright." Ellen agrees, saying that he needed to blow them away (and didn't). Kara disses the song choice as it wasn't known to the mainstream. Simon says he's lucky to have two song choices and likens his performance to a salad course of a dinner.

I have to agree with them. It didn't suck, but it did nothing to wow me into wanting to vote for him.

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Casey was a whole lot of :yawn: to me

14. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

AWESOME song choice for Crystal, I can't wait to hear this! "Come to My Window"

ETA: WTF was Kara saying about people not having heard the song before? I don't consider myself hip on today's music because the only new stuff I listen to is country, but even I've heard it enough to actually know the chorus.

15. PrincessLeppard

I may vote for him. Just cuz I hate people being thrown under buses, like Syesha in the David season (okay, she didn't deserve top three, but that song from Happy Feet? :rofl: ) and Kris last year. It was lovely watching Danny get kicked off. :encore:

Not that I really hate Lee or Crystal. But they're both about to get tongue baths even if they stink up the place.

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

This is a great choice for her, but not my favorite for Crystal but still decent

17. Allskate

Perfect song choice for Crystal to show what kind of contemporary recording artist she will be.

When Casey looks back over the competition, I think one of his biggest regrets (in addition to letting the nerves get to him) is going to be that he listened to much to the judges and Idol advisors instead of going with his strenghts and what he loved. Surely he could have gotten a decent rocking blues song cleared. That song choice is a big WTF.

18. PrincessLeppard

That was just sort of meh as well.

19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Crystal hits Come to My Window out of the park. She should win it all. Randy being picky with the arrangement.

20. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Not my favorite from Crystal, but that's likely due to the fact that I detest Melissa Etheridge's music :scream: .

21. Allskate

Yeah, I hate it, too. Plus, at this point, I definitely think I'd be more likely to buy a Casey CD than a Lee CD. I'd prefer to see more of Casey post-Idol. He hasn't handled Idol particularly well, but I've seen and heard enough of him off the show when he's relaxed and in his element to know that he really is very talented.

22. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Both Casey and Lee are pretty :yawn: to me. However, it annoys me that Lee gets automatic praise for crappy performances while Casey always gets hosed.

IMO, Crystal is the only one worth anything this season. I wish she didn't do Melissa Etheridge. I know she's a big influence to Crystal, but I think Etheridge's work is so dull. However, Crystal did a great job.

23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Did I hear that right? Lee is singing Lynyrd Skynyrd? :yikes: :scream:

24. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

But the bus has only one target.

Wait. LEE is singing Skynard instead of Casey? No way.

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I think the judges want Crystal to sing really BIG, but she's not up for it right now.

26. PrincessLeppard

I was cleaning up cat barf. Um, what? Did the cat yak prematurely? :scream:

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Very possibly.

28. PrincessLeppard

I hate this song. I would hate it if David Cook or Adam Lambert sang it.

29. Allskate

There's youtube video of Lee singing "Simple Man." I actually think it might suit his voice.

But, yeah, stupid for Casey not to do some southern rock.

30. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Listening to this rendition of Simple Man, I think Crystal should have sung it instead of him. :shuffle: .

....AAAAAAAANNNDD, the tongue-bathing begins :scream: :blah: