American Idol (March 30 & 31) - The Top 11 (Dust Yourself Off And Try Again)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 30, 2010.

Who Made You Feel Like A Natural Woman Tonight? (Vote For Everybody You Liked)

1. Aaron Kelly

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Andrew Garcia

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. Casey James

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  4. Crystal Bowersox

50 vote(s)
    76.9%
  5. Didi Benami

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Katie Stevens

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Lee DeWyze

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  8. Michael Lynche

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  9. Siobhan Magnus

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  10. Tim Urban

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. Everyone Was Good Tonight!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. BLECH! Everybody Would Have Been Better Off Heard Through A Grapevine!!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

For me the top tier at the moment is Crystal, Casey, Lee, Mike and Siobhan

Everyone is else is in the bottom. Siobhan didn't do so well this week and some people don't appreciate her screaming but I think she has made a big enough name for herself and created a large enough fanbase to easily make it into the top 5. There is always a chance for an upset but I think those will be our final 5 and I think Crystal, Lee and Casey will be our final 3 with Siobhan an option to replace Casey.

2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think the are middle tiers, and I thought Didi was neither top tier nor bottom tier. I like her so much more than Tim and also think that she has been significantly better than Andrew. I prefer her to Katie, though Katie might have done a better job this particular week.

Siobhan needs to change her approach. She's too quirky to also get away with lots of shrieking. Being so formulaic also undermines any image I have of her making artistic choices. She definitely makes the show more interesting, though, so I'd like to see her stick around for quite some time.

Lee is talented, but he's kind of a poor man's David Cook. David has a better voice and better musical skills, not to mention better stage presence and a willingness to rock out more. I think that too many of his potential fans might end up thinking he's too much of a wimp or a bore.

3. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Lee might make top three at the most, but he doesn't seem like a potential winner to me. I wasn't even that big of a David Cook fan (although he's definitely and easily better than Chris Daughtry), but Lee is nowhere near him in terms of originality, voice, or presence. There's something about Lee that seems really insecure and even with his talent I find it sometimes uncomfortable to watch him even though I do find him pretty hot.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at "loser list" -- that's quite a list this season... :scream:

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

You can't really compare him to DC or Daughtry in terms of winning because of their competition. Remember who is HIS competition this season. I think this will be another Taylor Hicks season regardless of who wins. They'll do a couple of talk shows, make a record and then they'll show up on TV Guide channels Where Are They Now?

6. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Buh-bye Brooke White 2.0.

I'm glad Tim wasn't the one going home. They've been trying to throw him under the bus multiple times and he's still there. Except for one bad night, he's been pretty decent. The talent is low this year, so he has every right to be there.

Siobhan has had two bad weeks, I hope she'll find her mojo back next week.

7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree, especially after Kara spoke to him like he was slow..."Do you understand what we're saying to you?" Yes he does Kara, he just doesn't give a rat's a**.

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I didn't watch before the top 12, so I have no clue as to the wuzrobbing for Didi. To my ears, she NEVER belonged in the top 12, based on the performances I've seen from her the last three weeks. For some folks to think she was one of the best females, or the best, with Crystal still in there, makes me :huh:

Crystal, Lee and Mike are it for me. Casey can stay on for his face, and has his good moments vocally as well. The rest are various levels of things you'd scrape off a shoe.

I do hope that Tim stays to top 5 at least, just because I'm :EVILLE: and it would totally f*ck with the judges, as well as it seems many posters in this thread. So what if he grins while they criticize him? He's probably thinking, "dude, I'm marginally talented, and I'm performing week after week for millions of people, with tons of tweenagers drooling over me. F you! I'm going to enjoy the ride while it lasts"

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think it's because this season is so weak that he can make it to the top five. But, I don't think he can win unless he gets a lot more comfortable and shows more personality. This is largely a popularity competition. I think people find kids who are humble and shy (even if it's an act) to be much more appealing than adult men who appear to lack confidence and stage presence.

In Kara's defense -- and I don't say that phrase frequently -- he was grinning like an idiot. I understand that his tactic is to get by on the fake smile and fake personality, but that part with the grins was kind of bizarre. His prepared story about smiling because he had so much fun was a good pageanty answer, but clearly was B.S.. He wasn't just smiling after he finished. He was smiling a weird smile in direct response to criticism, even the next day. It was kind of an idiot's smile.

But, I do credit Tim with being savvy enough to figure out how to get the tweenyboppers to keep him in the competition despite his cheesy and weak performances. Kara may not be smart enough to realize that the criticism (and the resulting sympathy votes), hair, and smiles are largely what is keeping him in the competition, but Tim realizes it. As that interview after the show the other day explicitly shows, he's put a lot of thought into how to manipulate the audience with what he says and does when he's not performing musically. He should have been gone the week he sang Apologize. (Alex, Joe, Katelynn, Lilly, etc. are definitely more talented than he is.) He has yet to have one impressive performance and I don't think he has much in the way of any musical understanding or identity. I think he knows he's not going to have a musical career (and therefore doesn't really care if people think he has talent), and is fine with whatever fame and fortune he can get out of this gig. It's probably going to be more lucrative than the swimsuit competitions he's done. Maybe he can get a part in the next High School Musical movie.

IMO, Crystal and Lee could take lessons from Tim. No, not vocal or music lessons, and I'm not suggesting that they be as cheesy and smarmy as Tim is, but they could benefit from learning that the performances when the music isn't on are just as important with the voters as the actual musical performances. I think they could go too soon if people don't start to find them more likeable.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I missed this but did anyone see the pic of Jennifer Hudson on MJsbigblog? I assumed she had her baby but never even heard the announcement. Well she looks FABULOUS! She is a spokesperson for one of the weight loss programs now. I actually hope she doesn't lose anymore, she looks great the way she is and any more she will look downright skinny.